8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

A Skoda Superb (highest trim) only cost about 146K, while BM is selling their Camry at almost 144K..What is BM thinking? If given a choice to choose between the 2, I will go for Skoda Superb without a doubt! Toyota cars are seriously overpriced!

(edited)

A Skoda Superb (highest trim) only cost about 146K, while BM is selling their Camry at almost 144K..What is BM thinking? If given a choice to choose between the 2, I will go for Skoda Superb without a doubt! Toyota cars are seriously overpriced!

146k still can bargain

But borneo cannot lol

Edited by Thaiyotakamli

rented a camry 2.0 during my recent trip to US.

not so impressive about the drive, feel weak on 2.0 engine and not as smooth as I expect.

exterior look ok but interior still look a bit dated.

rented a camry 2.0 during my recent trip to US.

not so impressive about the drive, feel weak on 2.0 engine and not as smooth as I expect.

exterior look ok but interior still look a bit dated.

The least u can do was to pop the hood and see exact what engine your rental Camry came in

North America market NEVER had any 2L Camry before, unless you consider the 1st and 2nd gen Camries from the 1980s relevant. 

For the XCV50 and now XCV70, the base engine has always been the 2.5L 

The preferred engine would the 3.5L V6 as taken from the Lexus ES350 and RX 350

Your rental car had the low end 2.5L (which is the most expensive model we get in SG).. so if you still feel that it has no power, I rest my case for BM's new Camry 2.5. Those who still choose the ancient base 2L will wonder if they didn't release their parking brake when they drive... 

• Dislike 3

(edited)

The least u can do was to pop the hood and see exact what engine your rental Camry came in

North America market NEVER had any 2L Camry before, unless you consider the 1st and 2nd gen Camries from the 1980s relevant. 

Your rental car had the low end 2.5L (which is the most expensive model we get in SG).. so if you still feel that it has no power, I rest my case for BM's new Camry 2.5. Those who still choose the ancient base 2L will wonder if they didn't release their parking brake when they drive... 

Haha. Not so jialat lah...

Don't forget the clientele that the Camry typically caters to... Unkers (like myself) with a small brood +/- some elderly folk.

It's sufficient for a comfortable ride. But don't expect it to be terribly exciting. In fact, Toyota and Exciting are 2 words that don't go together in SG. Their cars have always been outstandingly average, with the exception of their price tags.

Reliability is good (not nearly as over-engineered as the Lexus) but still good. The Koreans have started to catch up in this category however.

Edited by DK3410

(edited)

Why is it that your posts often seem inflammatory? Or is it just me?

Or you may have an intense dislike for Toyota cars, judging by your posts in the Corolla thread.

Instead of popping the bonnet to see exactly what engine a car came with, it might be a better idea to take a look at the badges at the back of the car. I doubt you can tell a 2L from the 2.5L version of the same engine, either.

If you wish to speak with authority I would advise you to first get your facts right. Do not mis-inform and mislead forummers with fake news. Do some research before making assumptions and sweeping statements, like the way you claimed that the Opel Insignia is an American GM car wrapped in a German body.  :a-no:

Please, allow me to correct you:

1) Its XV, not XCV.

2) The new Camry 2.5 features the brand new A25A Dynamic Force engine producing a headline power output of 206bhp. With a 8-speed autotrans and a kerb weight of 1550kg, i don't think it will struggle for power.

3) The new Camry 2.0 has an engine with advanced features like direct injection, dual variable valve timing, the ability to run in Otto and Atkinson cycles, and at 164bhp, reasonably powerful for a 2L NA engine. It first came out as the 6AR-FSE in Dec 2014, and its updated again to become the 6AR-FBS in Oct 2018. Pray tell - what is so ancient about it?? Bang up-to-date if you ask me. Or were you thinking about the 1st and 2nd generation Camry from the 1990s?

Lest you think im a diehard Toyota fanboy because I have a Toyota Crown insignia for an avatar, I'm not, nor do I drive one now. Nor an Opel, for that matter.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 4

Or you may have an intense dislike for Toyota cars, judging by your posts in the Corolla thread.

Instead of popping the bonnet to see exactly what engine a car came with, it might be a better idea to take a look at the badges at the back of the car. I doubt you can tell a 2L from the 2.5L version of the same engine, either.

If you wish to speak with authority I would advise you to first get your facts right. Do not mis-inform and mislead forummers with fake news. Do some research before making assumptions and sweeping statements, like the way you claimed that the Opel Insignia is an American GM car wrapped in a German body.  :a-no:

1) Its XV, not XCV.

2) The new Camry 2.5 features the brand new A25A Dynamic Force engine producing a headline power output of 206bhp. With a 8-speed autotrans and a kerb weight of 1550kg, i don't think it will struggle for power.

3) The new Camry 2.0 has an engine with advanced features like direct injection, dual variable valve timing, the ability to run in Otto and Atkinson cycles, and at 164bhp, reasonably powerful for a 2L NA engine. It first came out as the 6AR-FSE in Dec 2014, and its updated again to become the 6AR-FBS in Oct 2018. Pray tell - what is so ancient about it?? Bang up-to-date if you ask me. Or were you thinking about the 1st and 2nd generation Camry from the 1990s?

Lest you think im a diehard Toyota fanboy because I have a Toyota Crown insignia for an avatar, I'm not, nor do I drive one now. Nor an Opel, for that matter.

Hello, I was responding to the bro who mentioned he drove a 2L Camry in the USA

https://www.toyota.com/camry/camry-features/performance

Please tell me where's the 2L option as seen above?

Anyway the 2L Camry was designed for our tax crazy market. Even JDM doesn't have it and certainly a slow seller in most of our neighboring countries also. Atkinson cycle kills power in the name of fuel economy. 

All the high tech geewhiz in the 2.5 DF still couldn't bring the Camry to compete with the Korean and Conti turbo engines of smaller capacity, esp at the traffic lights drag. 

Hello, I was responding to the bro who mentioned he drove a 2L Camry in the USA

https://www.toyota.com/camry/camry-features/performance

Please tell me where's the 2L option as seen above?

Anyway the 2L Camry was designed for our tax crazy market. Even JDM doesn't have it and certainly a slow seller in most of our neighboring countries also. Atkinson cycle kills power in the name of fuel economy. 

All the high tech geewhiz in the 2.5 DF still couldn't bring the Camry to compete with the Korean and Conti turbo engines of smaller capacity, esp at the traffic lights drag. 

"Conti turbo engines of smaller capacity"-doesn't sound good nor reliable.smaller engines equipped with turbo will probably/maybe give alot of problems in the long run. One huge advantage of running with NA engines is that they tend to lasts forever with love and tender care. Koreans and Japanese are a safer buy as they use 2.0L turbo engines or bigger. No need for a drag race at traffic lights with small turbo Conti engines..they'll be dragging to the workshop in due time. This is my personal opinion after reading and watching alot of videos from the internet. Hopefully I'm wrong but to my taste,probably would never try a small turbo Conti engine.

(edited)

"Conti turbo engines of smaller capacity"-doesn't sound good nor reliable.smaller engines equipped with turbo will probably/maybe give alot of problems in the long run. One huge advantage of running with NA engines is that they tend to lasts forever with love and tender care. Koreans and Japanese are a safer buy as they use 2.0L turbo engines or bigger. No need for a drag race at traffic lights with small turbo Conti engines..they'll be dragging to the workshop in due time. This is my personal opinion after reading and watching alot of videos from the internet. Hopefully I'm wrong but to my taste,probably would never try a small turbo Conti engine.

Actually, turbo-charged engines are pretty reliable these days.

The main thing with turbo-charged engines is they need a bit more TLC compared to a NA engine. Their power delivery curve is also slightly different, though that's improving dramatically with improved engineering.

Firstly, the turbocharger runs hot. Really hot. That thing is spinning at 150+ thousand revs/ minute there, pressurizing the air fed into the engine. If you actually took the engine out and ran it full-tilt, the pipe feeding the hot exhaust into the turbocharger actually grows a brilliant yellow from the heat. Therefore, you are NOT supposed to turn off the engine after running it hard when you come to a stop at your destination. Instead, allow your engine to run at idle for about 1-2 minutes to bleed the heat from the turbo unit before shutting it off. Otherwise, you will be on first-name basis with the service department soon when your turbo blows in your face. It is EXPENSIVE to fix, after all, it's a high-precision, high-RPM device working in a very hellish environment.

Secondly, by nature of how they work, turbocharged engines deliver power slightly differently. The turbo runs on exhaust gas flow, and hence, needs sufficient flow to spool up and start working effectively. In the older-gen turbo cars, the turbo typically "kicks-in" at around 4k RPM. From the time you stomp on the accelerator pedal to the time you get the RPM up, your power isn't coming in as fast as you expect. Then suddenly, at 4+k RPM, the turbo spools up sufficiently and you get a sudden surge of power. This phenomenon, as we all know, is called "Turbo Lag". Some people love it, but it can catch a new owner who's activating it for the first time off-guard. With better engineering these days, low-pressure turbos are a thing now, spooling much more rapidly at lower RPMs, and allowing the power delivery to be much more linear (akin to a much larger NA) than before.

Turbocharged engines are awesome, because they enhance the efficiency of the engine, giving the engine power output close to a much bigger NA. For reference, the 1.5T in the Honda Civic Turbo actually has very close peak torque and power figures to the 2.5L NA in the Mazda 6, on paper of course.

Plus, there's no denying that turbo lag is shiok when the power kicks in...

Edited by DK3410

Actually, turbo-charged engines are pretty reliable these days.

The main thing with turbo-charged engines is they need a bit more TLC compared to a NA engine. Their power delivery curve is also slightly different, though that's improving dramatically with improved engineering.

Firstly, the turbocharger runs hot. Really hot. That thing is spinning at 150+ thousand revs/ minute there, pressurizing the air fed into the engine. If you actually took the engine out and ran it full-tilt, the pipe feeding the hot exhaust into the turbocharger actually grows a brilliant yellow from the heat. Therefore, you are NOT supposed to turn off the engine after running it hard when you come to a stop at your destination. Instead, allow your engine to run at idle for about 1-2 minutes to bleed the heat from the turbo unit before shutting it off. Otherwise, you will be on first-name basis with the service department soon when your turbo blows in your face. It is EXPENSIVE to fix, after all, it's a high-precision, high-RPM device working in a very hellish environment.

Secondly, by nature of how they work, turbocharged engines deliver power slightly differently. The turbo runs on exhaust gas flow, and hence, needs sufficient flow to spool up and start working effectively. In the older-gen turbo cars, the turbo typically "kicks-in" at around 4k RPM. From the time you stomp on the accelerator pedal to the time you get the RPM up, your power isn't coming in as fast as you expect. Then suddenly, at 4+k RPM, the turbo spools up sufficiently and you get a sudden surge of power. This phenomenon, as we all know, is called "Turbo Lag". Some people love it, but it can catch a new owner who's activating it for the first time off-guard. With better engineering these days, low-pressure turbos are a thing now, spooling much more rapidly at lower RPMs, and allowing the power delivery to be much more linear (akin to a much larger NA) than before.

Turbocharged engines are awesome, because they enhance the efficiency of the engine, giving the engine power output close to a much bigger NA. For reference, the 1.5T in the Honda Civic Turbo actually has very close peak torque and power figures to the 2.5L NA in the Mazda 6, on paper of course.

Plus, there's no denying that turbo lag is shiok when the power kicks in...

Yes, I agree. These small turbo engines are powerful. Maybe I'm abit paranoid but I still prefer bigger turbo engines or NA engines,especially from Toyota.

• Praise 1

Yay, collected my ride yesterday. Loved it. Nice and quiet. The FC is amazing, so far did 60km, ave 17km/l. 50-50 city highway. Am going to detailing this week, and upgrade HU.

post-270979-0-07258900-1552228720_thumb.jpeg

post-270979-0-26360600-1552228738_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 15

Looks like the stock speakers are puny. Recommendation just for speakers appreciated. Am budgeting $800 for front component , rear coaxial. Anyone thinks rainbow slc 6.2 and any rainbow coaxial within this range?

• Praise 1

If you wish to speak with authority I would advise you to first get your facts right. Do not mis-inform and mislead forummers with fake news. Do some research before making assumptions and sweeping statements, like the way you claimed that the Opel Insignia is an American GM car wrapped in a German body. :a-no:

1) Its XV, not XCV.

I think it will be great if camry have or bring in 2.0L turbo engine thats similar to harrier turbo, this will give buyers more choice of engine rather than sticking to NA.

I used to drive harrier pi 2.0L NA engine, i felt its underpowered but produces good fc. I guess its targeted at fc conscious buyers.

Yay, collected my ride yesterday. Loved it. Nice and quiet. The FC is amazing, so far did 60km, ave 17km/l. 50-50 city highway. Am going to detailing this week, and upgrade HU.

Edited by DK3410
  • Praise 1

Great buy.

The Camry Hybrid is a fantastic vehicle. Does it have Toyota-Sense safety tech? Please do let us know which workshop you bring it for regular servicing?

Yup, has the sense tech. Warned me to brake couple of times

Quite a number of differences:

1) PI only bringing in hybrid version liao. AD not even bothering with hybrid anymore.

2) The added price you pay is for the Borneo Motors' after-sales support with their wide network of service centres island-wide. Whether it's worth the added premium is up to the individual to decide.

3) PI version is either JDM or Australian market version. Both made in Japan. AD bringing in the Thai-made version.

4) Other differences like the engine. The JDM supposedly use the new Dynamic Force engine while the Thai-made one is using same engine as the older 2017 Camry.

What’s the price differences btw JDM & Oz (via PI) models in SG?
  • Praise 1

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1