8th Gen Toyota Camry (XV70)

inlinesix

Should have reverse camera, especially for SUVs.

Head unit no navigation, never mind. More important is it can support Apple Carplay and Android Auto. Can use Google Maps via Carplay and Andriod Auto. Toyota proprietary in car system looks dated, as I have see in the Corolla.

I would expect the same about reverse camera, so was shocked to see nothing.

Looked on brochures and they have no info about the car having reverse camera. Although one of the pics in the brochure did show an LCD head unit.

Car won't support Android Auto or Carplay according to SE. In fact even in the US, Toyota only supports Carplay, no Android Auto.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I would expect the same about reverse camera, so was shocked to see nothing.

Looked on brochures and they have no info about the car having reverse camera. Although one of the pics in the brochure did show an LCD head unit.

Car won't support Android Auto or Carplay according to SE. In fact even in the US, Toyota only supports Carplay, no Android Auto.

Don't be shocked...

Back then when I bought my Prius it had no reverse camera despite every other car in BM's line-up having it...

But yes, in this day and age, reverse cameras are considered so basic that the more "premium" cars now have 360-degree view cameras.

Was just at the car show and spent a lot of time with the rav4 and an SE.

Really good price, was really surprised. But it lacks some pretty basic things, e.g:

- No reverse camera (at least the show model does not have it, but SE said he needs to check)

- No navigation or AA/AC. In fact the whole headunit isn't an LCD. It's just a basic radio. Was very surprised at that. The instrument binnacle has an LCD in it.

- Not fully convinced by the design. Front looks rugged, but the back and sides look a bit anorexic. Definitely don't think it works well in white.

- They are taking $2k refundable deposits for the car, pending test drives. When I spoke to the SE, he said they had four units left (red and white) and the next indent due next month.

Overall I'm really impressed by the price relative to other cars. Similarish price to Tuscon and Outlander, with the benefit of being a Toyota. Impressed by the safety features. Not so impressed with the missing basic features and design.

Any indication on the arf paid? Or final parf?

Just a note the new RAV4 just locally launch @ Singapore Motor Show is going at 119k with 2.0L dynamic force engine and direct shift CVT. Comes with TOYOTA safety sense as well! [laugh]

This pricing i think is unbeatable. If they can put in the dynamic force engine in the RAV4 i don't see y they can't do it in the Camry.

Yes agreed this RAV4 seems a fair price but the ugly HU is a real turn-off.

Apologies for digressing from Camry.

• Praise 2

Any indication on the arf paid? Or final parf?

SE didn't even know much Technical info about the car when I asked. So doubt much info about omv and arf is out.

Asked about the transmission and the guy had to check. He mentioned it was 6-speed. I thought he meant 6-speed auto (the US has a 8 speed auto), but after reading the brochure it's a CVT (maybe imitating a 6-speed).

So limited info at the moment.

(edited)

SE didn't even know much Technical info about the car when I asked. So doubt much info about omv and arf is out.

Asked about the transmission and the guy had to check. He mentioned it was 6-speed. I thought he meant 6-speed auto (the US has a 8 speed auto), but after reading the brochure it's a CVT (maybe imitating a 6-speed).

So limited info at the moment.

Even Toyota.jp don't have much info.

https://toyota.jp/rav4/new-rav4/

Edited by Davidtch

Even Toyota.jp don't have much info.

https://toyota.jp/rav4/new-rav4/

True. I was quite surprised to see the the rav4 there. I think Singapore may even be one of the first markets to see the rav4 after the US? AUS and MY haven't even got the new model listed.

Plus the SG rav4 is configured entirely different to the US-spec. Different engine (no surprise), diff gearbox, 2wd only. Very much specced in a Singaporean way, but maybe the first market to see it.

Oh, in the context of the Camry and Rav4, the the SE said the new Camry has been a sales disappointment so far, whereas the Rav4 has been flying off shelf. Of course he may just be saying that as I was interested in the rav4.

True. I was quite surprised to see the the rav4 there. I think Singapore may even be one of the first markets to see the rav4 after the US? AUS and MY haven't even got the new model listed.

Plus the SG rav4 is configured entirely different to the US-spec. Different engine (no surprise), diff gearbox, 2wd only. Very much specced in a Singaporean way, but maybe the first market to see it.

Oh, in the context of the Camry and Rav4, the the SE said the new Camry has been a sales disappointment so far, whereas the Rav4 has been flying off shelf. Of course he may just be saying that as I was interested in the rav4.

US also got FWD only.

No AWD.

RAV4 pricing is unexpectedly low for branded mid size SUV, so not surprised there are impulse buyers.

Camry price is too high. As it moderates down, sales will come

• Praise 1

The camry at the motorshow, after looking the design of the car, i personally find it look ugly la.

But PI Camry is selling well.  [laugh]

The new Camry... somehow feel that the plastics quality is a notch below the thai camry of 2007-2012.

Also interior space seems also to be reduced a little bit.

Thai parts fitting also suspect - was inside a new Prius (MIJ) cab on Friday - The plastics is cheap and hard, but seems put together better than this new Thai camry.