LTA buys electric buses from China

Stooky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwX6tkiCNOo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0vnP7IT-Bw

Half of the world’s electric vehicles are BYD. When we were still looking down on China, they sped ahead with cashless, cardless, machineless payments already.

Fully agreed.

Some of those never visited China, especially Shanghai and Beijing. They have move so much ahead of us.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 7

So... these Chinese buses will sneak up quietly on you... just like Chinese immigrants sneaking up quietly on our population numbers?

:D

hmmmm....that's in the old days

these days, they turn up with expensive toys and make sure you know they have arrived

case in point

post-131345-0-37462500-1540381479_thumb.jpg

time to change back to bm....comes with free handicap lots

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 2

Don’t be myopic. There are ranges of Chinese goods. As long as one is willing to pay. You certainly can get good quality.

• Praise 7

Fully agreed.

Some of those never visited China, especially Shanghai and Beijing. They have move so much ahead of us.

As former 北漂, we are so much behind China in terms of mobile app.

I saw a BYD e6 on our roads. Passenger car  with regular plate, not the RD research and development multi-coloured plate.  I dunno the price.

Range: 400km

90kW Lithium Iron Phosphate battery pack

Torque: 450Nm

Charging from 0%-100%: 2hrs

Charging Voltage: 3 phase 400V AC

Brochure: https://sg.byd.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/E6.pdf

Ok, here comes the math question... [laugh]

If the BYD passenger car takes approx 2hrs to charge, how long will it take the BYD bus to charge?

Hahaha...just kidding. I think they will put a couple of buses that ply the same route on shifts so that they will have ample time to recharge.

Actually the electric car don't make sense. Say if you are staying in a landed property how long will it take to charge with the single phase 240V 13A power socket? The 3 phase 400V socket already takes 2hrs. The single phase 240V might take more dan 10hrs to charge from 0%-100%....

Unless like Jeremy Clarkson mentioned....that is to buy 2 electric cars... [laugh]

Electric vehicles. Ppl very much want to embrace or even luv them but they have yet to reach the really practical and economical stage.

• Praise 2

All those pmd charging  fires are all MIC......

Not saying all MIC stuff are not good. Just that so far their EV and PMD electrical safety record not exactly prestine.

I rather trust the Japanese with hybrids/electrical vehicle at this stage.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE85604Q20120607

fire-byd-e6.png

img_0979.jpg

f04da2db1122113645761c.jpg

Actually if you look at the petrol/diesel powered cars they don't fare any better. From Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Hyundai to Toyota either catch fire or kenna recall for potential fire risks. Nothing to say a car won't catch fire or fire-proof. There's always that risk.

The car's propellant is highly combustible whether it's liquid fuel or battery pack. You can't run away from that fact.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

All those pmd charging  fires are all MIC......

Not saying all MIC stuff are not good. Just that so far their EV and PMD electrical safety record not exactly prestine.

I rather trust the Japanese with hybrids/electrical vehicle at this stage.

https://www.google.com.sg/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSBRE85604Q20120607

fire-byd-e6.png

img_0979.jpg

f04da2db1122113645761c.jpg

Strange about your comment

I am neutral but look around many of your foreign sounding names have many parts in them, made from China.

Didn't you recently bought a bike from China?

The best drone maker now is currently from China.

The best super computer currently is from China.

In USA and Europe (including UK) some of the best students in their universities come from China.

To be grateful many of our vegetables and food products come from China (don't believe please do visit  NTUC Fairprice).

With regards to you PMD battery issue like everything else in life, you want cheap you take the risk. The responsibility lies with the purchasers. 

• Praise 1

I was specific in what from China I have concern about. Electrical vehicles from China.

Mechanical mass produced stuff are by and large passable and non lifethreatening. 

Nothing strange about my comments. 

Strange about your comment

I am neutral but look around many of your foreign sounding names have many parts in them, made from China.

Didn't you recently bought a bike from China?

The best drone maker now is currently from China.

The best super computer currently is from China.

In USA and Europe (including UK) some of the best students in their universities come from China.

To be grateful many of our vegetables and food products come from China (don't believe please do visit  NTUC Fairprice).

With regards to you PMD battery issue like everything else in life, you want cheap you take the risk. The responsibility lies with the purchasers. 

When petrol/diesal vehicles catch fire.... They don't go up in holywood style lithium powered glory ball of fire. 

Actually if you look at the petrol/diesel powered cars they don't fare any better. From Ferrari, Lambo, BMW, Hyundai to Toyota either catch fire or kenna recall for potential fire risks. Nothing to say a car won't catch fire or fire-proof. There's always that risk.

The car's propellant is highly combustible whether it's liquid fuel or battery pack. You can't run away from that fact.

I was specific in what from China I have concern about. Electrical vehicles from China.

Mechanical mass produced stuff are by and large passable and non lifethreatening. 

Nothing strange about my comments. 

Tesla secures a supply agreement with China's biggest lithium producer for batteries. Tesla is currently trying to secure resources for its battery production ramp up at Gigafactory 1. Now we've learned that the automaker has signed a supply agreement with China's biggest lithium producer.Sep 21, 2018

Tesla secures a supply agreement with China's biggest lithium producer for batteries. Tesla is currently trying to secure resources for its battery production ramp up at Gigafactory 1. Now we've learned that the automaker has signed a supply agreement with China's biggest lithium producer.Sep 21, 2018

tesla-fire.png Tesla-Fire.png

Can Tesla recovered from this battery fire attention?

Yes, no problem.

Elon Musk and Tesla got sufficiently ahead of it and properly explained the fire in context: Model S Fire | Blog | Tesla Motors. Also, no one was injured in a serious accident.

High-energy density batteries are potentially bombs, pure and simple. Tesla designed a system of true firewalls to protect against catastrophic explosions that seems to have worked well.

Even here, where the "bomb" finally went off due to firewall breaches -- it was contained and there were no injuries and the driver had sufficient warning and time to exit the Model S properly.

Accidents happen in cars -- all the time. Every day. The reality is with ~20k Teslas on the road, and tons of accidents already, the fact that this is the first (at least known) explosive fire says it's all working well. See, e.g., Tesla Motors: Tesla Motors Inc.: What happens when a Tesla car crashes?

Can BYD say the same for their BYD vehicle explosions incidences? -_-

Edited by Vratenza

Can BYD say the same for their BYD vehicle explosions incidences?

Doc, you should know better, one incident can only make it to a case report in a peered review journal.

I am not selling BYD but is there similar case that proof BYD otherwise. 

In addition, the attached mentioned it "seems to have worked well" does not exactly give me the 100% confidence that in another similar situation, the firewall will be contained.

Currently China is the largest producer of electric vehicle

Warren Buffet is a BYD investor

to export to EU or USA, they need to meet certain standard

if that standard is reached and exceeded

then it is up to the consumer (driver) how he or she drives and how he or she maintain the car

even the best engineered goes up in flame, Apollo incluidng space shuttle

as an after thought, how many established car manufacturers have been acquired by Chinese companies? 

things improve overtime

my point is, don't brush off China made EV so quickly,

they will get better along the way

it is inevitable, that we will see more and more China made vehicles on our roads especially EV as their plan is to dominate the world of EV

it's not just one case if you can bother to consult journal google or have been reading up on byd's domestic historical performance and incidences.

You missed my point by a whole yard.

You highlighted Tesla's buying of China produced lithium batteries to show a well known electrical car producer's confidence in the product made by Chinese factory.

I showed you that the battery is just a component of a whole electrical drivetrain system and it is how well the car is designed with all the firewalls and failsafe in place that determines it's ability to protect it's driver and occupants from catastrophic event of battery failure and explosions.

Of course everything improves overtime....I will not volunteer to be the guineapig while it is striving to "improve" when it comes to safety.

Just look at how our LTA scholars deal with the exploding /burning PMD (3 year lead time to proper certification?) and you still have the confidence in their choice of source for electric buses? Come, I clap for your blind faith.

and thank you for the volunteer when the electric buses are put in service.

This is an anomaly that I bother to engage your rhetorics which is obviously designed to draw controversy. You got me and you can have the last word.

Doc, you should know better, one incident can only make it to a case report in a peered review journal.

I am not selling BYD but is there similar case that proof BYD otherwise. 

In addition, the attached mentioned it "seems to have worked well" does not exactly give me the 100% confidence that in another similar situation, the firewall will be contained.

Currently China is the largest producer of electric vehicle

Warren Buffet is a BYD investor

to export to EU or USA, they need to meet certain standard

if that standard is reached and exceeded

then it is up to the consumer (driver) how he or she drives and how he or she maintain the car

even the best engineered goes up in flame, Apollo incluidng space shuttle

as an after thought, how many established car manufacturers have been acquired by Chinese companies? 

things improve overtime

my point is, don't brush off China made EV so quickly,

they will get better along the way

it is inevitable, that we will see more and more China made vehicles on our roads especially EV as their plan is to dominate the world of EV

Doc I am not here to win an argument but f you choose to think otherwise, I cant help.

I hope by being candid does not mean I am trying to be one up on you but on the contrary.

You mentioned about being guinea pig and other historical incidences.

I believe the medical world is doing just as bad or worse than what the car companies are doing. Tainted research, medical errors (still going on despite technological advances), most cancer treatments over promise but under deliver (efficacy for some as low as 10-20% but still considered an approved treatment especially some immunotherapy) and etc.

Despite all these, we still have fate in medicine because we know improvement are a work in progress.

The comparison may be a bit over dramatic but that helps to show the corollary.

with regards to BYD's domestic historical performance and incidences, I have read them, as far as it is with regards to their electrical system, they meet the official requirements of the country. With regards to some specific areas, the requirements specified are vague and open to interpretation which may have been the cause of these past incidences. If over the years there is no improvement and things gotten worse, then I do agree with BYD should be taken at arms length. I believe they have improved and that makes the difference.

We can keep holding a company ransom for their past performance, it is like our yellow ribbon, criminal pay for their crimes but society at large still punish them.

If should SG starts to approve BYD EV cars to pile our roads, would you challenge the authorities that it is NOT safe and should NOT be allowed in. 

it's not just one case if you can bother to consult journal google or have been reading up on byd's domestic historical performance and incidences.

You missed my point by a whole yard.

You highlighted Tesla's buying of China produced lithium batteries to show a well known electrical car producer's confidence in the product made by Chinese factory.

I showed you that the battery is just a component of a whole electrical drivetrain system and it is how well the car is designed with all the firewalls and failsafe in place that determines it's ability to protect it's driver and occupants from catastrophic event of battery failure and explosions.

Of course everything improves overtime....I will not volunteer to be the guineapig while it is striving to "improve" when it comes to safety.

Just look at how our LTA scholars deal with the exploding /burning PMD (3 year lead time to proper certification?) and you still have the confidence in their choice of source for electric buses? Come, I clap for your blind faith.

and thank you for the volunteer when the electric buses are put in service.

This is an anomaly that I bother to engage your rhetorics which is obviously designed to draw controversy. You got me and you can have the last word.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1