Halogen light bulbs to be phased out by 2023.

Zxcvb

Turbocharged

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/halogen-light-bulbs-to-be-phased-out-all-lamps-sold-to-be-as-10866584

SINGAPORE: In an effort to spur consumers to switch to energy efficient bulbs, the National Environment Agency (NEA) is raising what is known as the Minimum Energy Performance Standards (MEPS) of light bulbs, which will effectively phase out halogen lamps.

The agency is aiming for all light bulbs in Singapore to be, minimally, as energy efficient as LED bulbs from 2023 onwards, it said in a media release on Friday (Oct 26).

Under the current MEPS regulations, halogen or incandescent bulbs, which account for about 5 per cent of all regulated lamps sold in Singapore, must attain a one-tick rating, and LED bulbs must attain a two-tick rating. From Nov 1, 2019, all bulbs, incandescent or LED, must attain a two-tick rating on their Energy Label when brought into Singapore for sale.

Anyone who flouts the MEPS regulations when they come into force will be liable on conviction to a fine not exceeding S$10,000.

The NEA will also introduce two enhancements to the Mandatory Energy Labelling Scheme (MELS) - more than 80 per cent of lamps sold in Singapore will be covered, and displaying of energy labels in all publicity materials, physical or digital, is now mandatory. These will take effect on Nov 1, 2019.

“It is important for consumers to be able to differentiate energy-saving products, such as LED lamps, from less energy efficient products," said Mr William Song, the sales marketing head at LEDVANCE, a lighting supplier.

"This allows them to make informed choices and benefit from the greater durability, light quality and lower energy consumption of LED lamps, which results in cost savings for families in the long run.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Really don't know what to say. This one also want to set regulations. Wtf man.

I mean it's better to let market decide on which bulb to choose. Naturally if the Led light bulb is able to consume much less electricity and cost keep going down. So those who previously used halogen light bulbs. Slowly the halogen light bulbs will die off by itself, no need go set regulations provided the cost of the Led bulbs keeps dropping.

If government even this also need to set regulations, in future singapore will be in a state where there are too many regulations to comply with and ordinary people get confused on this need to comply to what regulations, that need to comply with what regulations. Then cooperation also headache on later unknowingly broke the regulation. Business cost also will keep increase due to constantly need to spend money to ensure regulations compliance. Then government may also missed out in some regulations because there are simply too many regulations. Aka maybe in media say something, and this thing actually need to comply with the set of regulations set by lta for example but the minister/mps also forget about this regulations.

I'm still unsure if this topic should fall under car related forums. Doesn't say that it is referring to automotive bulbs.

And i just failed my inspection yesterday due to LED fog bulbs. Sheesh...

I don't think it affect Car's Halogen bulbs,Car's Bulb powered by Alternator,won't produce too much CO2.

By the way,i find the new LED Street lights on the ECP too Glaring..... :o  :a-confused:

NEA never do their homework properly.

Obviously, they are trying to target lights used in the homes only.

There are plenty of other applications where such incandescent or halogen lamps may be the only choice.

They want to do a one broom sweep clean everything.

• Praise 1

Does a LED light really last longer than the others. Mine always gone quite fast. 

LED can indeed last. The transformer/driver is the one that die first in most cases, esp those no brand ones 

• Praise 1

For a specific LED, it's lifespan is inversely proportional to its brightness.

Many manufacturers would drive the LED much brighter than it's spec, so it doesn't last half as long.

So you may not get your 15,000 hrs of lifespan, unless you don't mind the lumen to be half as bright.

That is, provided the LED driver doesn't die first.

Edited by Kb27

Does a LED light really last longer than the others. Mine always gone quite fast.

Mine also. Kns bluff ppl one. Less than 1 Yr kaput. Megaman brand. f**ked up keep having to replace.

LED can indeed last. The transformer/driver is the one that die first in most cases, esp those no brand ones

Yup indeed have changed few transformer. In the end like paying more for using LED

Mine also. Kns bluff ppl one. Less than 1 Yr kaput. Megaman brand. f**ked up keep having to replace.

This brand can avoid

Generally yes. At least 2-3 years of lifespan if you keep it 24/7/365 on on a pendant light fixture. But may not last that long if it is hiding inside a splash proof light housing.

Check if your bulb is properly ventilated. Heat will kill the circuit which is the main cause of LED bulb being blown. Normally the LEDs will last very long.

Also buy from those established proper lighting brands like Philips, Panasonic, IKEA...

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Another ploy in mind to raise electricity rates when less is consumed so people won't feel the pinch?

Strange thing is 2 decades ago, all my appliances are no ticks or low energy efficient. Today using 4-5 ticks and high energy efficient appliances, including converting whole house to LED lightings, my electric bills still stay at the same with not much savings.

• Praise 1

I'm using Megaman MR16 for a year now. So far so good.

Previously on Song Cho GoPro bulbs with 3 yrs warranty and exchanged for new bulbs about 3 times. Now warranty reduced to a year if not wrong.

↡ Advertisement