6th gen 2018 VW Polo is in Singapore

DACH

Seems like no one notices this...  Fast Lane: Volkswagen Polo big on features

https://www.straitstimes.com/lifestyle/motoring/fast-lane-volkswagen-polo-big-on-features

ST_20181027_CTFAST27VM4A_4371032.jpg?ito

Volkswagen's sixth-generation Polo is here.

The first Polo built on the carmaker's new MQB platform, the car is powered by a 115hp/200Nm 1-litre turbocharged engine mated to a seven-speed dual-clutch gearbox.

For a small car, it has big features, including keyless entry, smartphone connectivity and six airbags.

Two versions are available - Comfortline and Beats. The Polo accelerates from zero to 100kmh in 9.5 seconds. Prices start at $89,900.

↡ Advertisement

The polo is a very good small car.

But locally at this price range, people can be buying a compact sedan/hatchback rather than a subcompact

When VW brings in the T cross, probably that will attract more buyers.

• Praise 1

Looking at the engine output and realized how technology has advanced.

Applicable for conti only though.

Well, this is 1.0 115bhp.

The late 80s Charade Gtti was 1.0 101bhp.

Sure the VW engine has a much nicer torque curve and adheres to today's emission standards but then its 35 years newer.

• Praise 1

Well, this is 1.0 115bhp.

The late 80s Charade Gtti was 1.0 101bhp.

Sure the VW engine has a much nicer torque curve and adheres to today's emission standards but then its 35 years newer.

Difference lies in the torque.

• Praise 2

I wonder how reliable is the DQ200 transmission now? I mean they had a recall couple of years back so problems with it should mostly be fixed?

That depends on individual luck. If intending to buy, just expect to factor in MU/clutch replacement every 3-5 years. Heavy start and stop traffic in sg will take its toll on them

Supercharged

No point paying the premium for a VW polo when you can get its sister Seat Ibiza at a lower price point

Am comparing this with ibiza now.

For wife.. i tink as of today ibiza the higher spec model is 82k vs the polo normal spec at 89k.

Ibiza looks cute. But interior is plasticky but does packed a whole lot of features including auto cruise control. Nice infotainment system. Apple n andriod car play.

Polo i tink do have nice infortainment system. Not sure got carplay or not..

Inching towards polo. Prob dependant on oc now.

Wondering if polo or as a matter volksvagen got any disc off list price one ah. Hee

Supercharged

Got DSG gearbox?

:D

I tink it does.

1.0tsi simi simi 3 cylinder engine.

Dunno if warranty is 5yrs or can extend to 7yrs or not

Supercharged

Hi all,

Wondering if volswagen got give disc off list price ah. Or use overtrade term?

If no car trade in. Etc

(My earlier review on SGcarmart)

Review

Design/Comfort/Entertainment:
*8 inch infotainment system is easy to use, good to look at with sharp, crisp graphics, menu buttons are clearly laid out, and comes with Apple Carplay or Android Auto
*Comes with cd player (Super old skool), SD card slots
*Screen has a few settings/features to play with - Quite rare in this segment
*Dashboard material is soft touch plastic, with gun metal like glossy finish plastic trim across the dashboard; Together with piano black plastic and the 8" Screen, the dash design feels modern, high tech & smart looking
*Steering wheel is nicely designed, looks good & feels good to grab with quality leather
*LED headlights w/ DRL comes as standard for both Comfortline & Beats edition locally, which looks cool & unique
*Road and wind noise barely noticeable at cruising speeds

Space/Practicality:
*Shares same platform as Golf so MK6 Polo has larger interior & boot space
*Knockdown rear seats for added utility
*Under boot floor storage to hide stuffs
*Decent amount of leg & head room

Safety/Convenience:
*6 airbags, traction control, auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, keyless engine start, retractable side mirrors with LED indicators, cruise control, front & rear fog lamps, all round parking sensors - All are standard kit

Performance/Drivetrain:
*New Polo isn't heavy so the 1.0 TSI performs adequately - 114BHP 200NM 0-100km/h in 9.5 seconds
*Throttle response is good but you'll feel slight vibration from the 3cyl turbo engine - Just need to increase throttle input
*Accelerator has kickdown feature, like most VWs (final bit of throttle need to press harder for max acceleration)
*Full torque of 200NM comes in early at around 2000 RPM so it's easy to get going
*DSG shifts seamlessly & smoothly under acceleration, most of the time you don't even notice it, unless you're driving slowly in carparks then it can feel slightly jerky
*Comes with paddle shifters for added fun & control
*Engine note uninspiring, slightly muted, sounds rough when pushed - But expected of 3cyl turbo
*Overall, the new Polo is zippy around town areas and does well to keep up with others on the highway, with minimum hassle for overtaking

FC: My current average after half a tank is 15km/L - When I go through a few tanks I will update the mileage clocked per tank

Conclusion:
The new Polo feels solid & well made, despite it's price. When you're driving it, it feels like you're driving a bigger car. For its price (mid $8x K when I bought it), you're getting a grown up, more practical & sensible Polo, with decent engine & transmission enough to have abit of fun, and together with its smart looking, well designed interior & good equipment list (in its segment), VW managed to not constantly remind you that you're buying the cheapest car in its range (unlike other brands) - Which is a good thing!

What I like
Perky, responsive engine & transmission
Easy to drive, predictable handling w/ small turning radius
Cool looking LED headlights with DRL
Smart looking, modern interior
Steering wheel design & feel + paddle shifters
Increased cabin & boot space (from previous model)
8" infotainment system w/ Apple Carplay/Android Auto
Levels of NVH kept to a minimum, good for its class, maybe better than other offerings in same segment
5 year warranty & 3 x free servicing

What I do not like
Slight vibration during acceleration (inherent of 3cyl turbo engine)
Door panels hard plastics (but expected of this segment)
Lack of reverse camera

*Mine is the Comfortline trim, because I didn't want to pay $7-8K more for the Beats sound system, overly colorful & vibrant dash color, hipster looking seats upholstery. Though I missed out on the LED rear lights and Active Info digital display.

Edited by Hotbod
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1