• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
29 replies to this topic | 121 praises

Posted 03 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

Hyde
  • Hyde
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

1 tyre got punctured by nails.

Patching safe?

Or need to change new tyres?

Tyres only can change in pairs. Don't know if its worth it.

If patched up how long is the estimate lifespan of the tyre?

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:33 AM

Dafansu
  • Premium member
    Dafansu
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Patching is common. Let the workshop advise u if need to change, depending if any damage.

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

Spinelli_ck
  • Premium member
    Spinelli_ck
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Patching safe?

it depends on the location of the puncture and the age of the tyres.

assuming the tyres are quite new and it can be repaired, you may go to a tyre shop that does internal patching. once, i went to a tyre shop where the worker used the worm method to plug the puncture from outside. air started to leak from the affected area after six months. from then on, i only go to tyre shops that do internal patching.

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Patching safe?

patch only 10 buks +- 

if patch liao,

test no leak, then use first loh.

heng heng no problem tahan until next set.

if really slowly leak again then change also no too late right. [;)]

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:38 AM

Tianmo
  • Premium member
    Tianmo
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Patching safe?

nail holes no issue lah, can just patch and drive until next tyre change. 

But each tyre can only patch max twice, third time cannot patch liao, need to change it out.  More than 2 holes punctured also better to change it out. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

芸芸人海,罪孽深重,神佛不渡,唯我魔渡

with the spirit of the MCF tiko club..............We are................ TIKO RANGERS!!!

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:37 PM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I read the worm method is temporary only... Fast fix until you get to a shop that can do internal patching.

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:31 PM

Ash2017
  • Ash2017
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Patching safe?

it depends largely on the nature of the puncture

if side wall then better change

if ordinary type of puncture then go for simple patch

if you are so worried about patch, there are literally thousands of cars out their with repair patch

did not hear of reports exploding tyres or the likes from the repairs

usually if done properly, the repair patch cannot even be recognized, they last as long as you got enough money to maintain the car

nail holes no issue lah, can just patch and drive until next tyre change. 

But each tyre can only patch max twice, third time cannot patch liao, need to change it out.  More than 2 holes punctured also better to change it out. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Or you die, I tell Radx

He got more than 2 holes

Carbon82 praised this

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:49 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I read the worm method is temporary only... Fast fix until you get to a shop that can do internal patching.

Yes worms are temporary only. However many local workshop love the fast buck and will always tell you “ can one, I have done thousands and no problem”. And if there is a problem if the worm , it will be “I have done thousands, all no problem, don’t know why yours have a problem.”

In the end why risk it when a proper patch is but another $10-$15 more.
I only go to hurry or south east tires for an internal patch.

In the last 25ywars of driving, all my punctures are nails or screws. And the air leaks out slowly. What I do now is use a portable air pump and inflate the tire up and get it to one of the 2 shops above to do an internal patch. Never bothered to use the spare now.

Edited by Mkl22, 03 November 2018 - 02:53 PM.

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:51 PM

alex976
  • Premium member
    alex976
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Yes worms are temporary only. However many local workshop love the fast buck and will always tell you “ can one, I have done thousands and no problem”. And if there is a problem if the worm , it will be “I have done thousands, all no problem, don’t know why yours have a problem.”

In the end why risk it when a proper patch is but another $10-$15 more.
I only go to hurry or south east tires for an internal patch.

In the last 25ywars of driving, all my punctures are nails or screws. And the air leaks out slowly. What I do now is use a portable air pump and inflate the tire up and get it to one of the 2 shops above to do an internal patch. Never bothered to use the spare now.

Last time spare tire really give you an actual spare of your original tires.

Now the spare tires for cars are either a small yellow donut or a black donut. Its just what color.

Only lorries and pick up still give original spare tires

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:18 PM

berrygood
  • Premium member
    berrygood
    Clutched
    Author Image

my previous set of tyres got punctured by nail within the first week, damn suay but used worm patch.

actually can drive but air leakage is slightly faster for that particular patched tyre lo, i.e after a week 3 tyres at 210 that tyre at 200.

but highly recommend internal patching.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:06 AM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Just to share my experience with tyre patching.

In my 18 years of driving, I've had a fair share of nails but they have all been slow leaks and I've always used worm patching.

TPMS alerted a low pressure on Tuesday, so I went to do a worm patch as usual at the petrol station workshop just outside my place.

But I decided to try internal patching today at Southeast Tyres.

10/10 to them and it's worth every cent!

here's the process:

First the worm is taken out and the Tyre is ground with a "stone"
F2F5A47C-4831-44EB-B1DA-9671B7F6DF29.jpeg

Next, use a metal brush to scrub off residual stuff
4ABDD937-AE90-40EE-8FB6-73E37D69CE97.jpeg

Vacuum the shards away
E4F28A1D-B6AB-42D8-AA51-C4947C91733B.jpeg

Spray some alcohol like stuff on the area
B2C8B7EE-5DDE-4A67-ACA6-83151CDC58FA.jpeg

Rub in some tar like paste
EB52C741-EAFC-4830-BA62-5F796F9174D8.jpeg

The boss saw the worker's work, wasn't satisfied. Did it himself! Used a drill to drill out residuals. Great commitment to doing a sweet sweet job
F63FD405-45A5-40E0-9D07-FE64BFF2EA7D.jpeg

Patch is in
85E11C6C-618E-4A19-8E82-9D98C8B5FA98.jpeg

Knead the patch down
6EE1EEB5-FD87-4A02-83F9-5A2281BF2885.jpeg

Apply some more tar stuff around the patch
7E118410-BB79-4EFB-ADE3-166588440275.jpeg

Cut off the outside and it's done!
45077DE1-FAAE-496B-AD17-BB78C092ACEE.jpeg
Blueray, Volvobrick, PSP415, Hamburger, Mzrmazda3, Beregond, RogerNg_185295, 4 other members and 1 Anonymous member praised this
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:36 AM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Did similar job recently for 25 bucks....

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Just to share my experience with tyre patching.

In my 18 years of driving, I've had a fair share of nails but they have all been slow leaks and I've always used worm patching.

TPMS alerted a low pressure on Tuesday, so I went to do a worm patch as usual at the petrol station workshop just outside my place.

But I decided to try internal patching today at Southeast Tyres.

10/10 to them and it's worth every cent!

here's the process:

First the worm is taken out and the Tyre is ground with a "stone"
attachicon.gifF2F5A47C-4831-44EB-B1DA-9671B7F6DF29.jpeg

Next, use a metal brush to scrub off residual stuff
attachicon.gif4ABDD937-AE90-40EE-8FB6-73E37D69CE97.jpeg

Vacuum the shards away
attachicon.gifE4F28A1D-B6AB-42D8-AA51-C4947C91733B.jpeg

Spray some alcohol like stuff on the area
attachicon.gifB2C8B7EE-5DDE-4A67-ACA6-83151CDC58FA.jpeg

Rub in some tar like paste
attachicon.gifEB52C741-EAFC-4830-BA62-5F796F9174D8.jpeg

The boss saw the worker's work, wasn't satisfied. Did it himself! Used a drill to drill out residuals. Great commitment to doing a sweet sweet job
attachicon.gifF63FD405-45A5-40E0-9D07-FE64BFF2EA7D.jpeg

Patch is in
attachicon.gif85E11C6C-618E-4A19-8E82-9D98C8B5FA98.jpeg

Knead the patch down
attachicon.gif6EE1EEB5-FD87-4A02-83F9-5A2281BF2885.jpeg

Apply some more tar stuff around the patch
attachicon.gif7E118410-BB79-4EFB-ADE3-166588440275.jpeg

Cut off the outside and it's done!
attachicon.gif45077DE1-FAAE-496B-AD17-BB78C092ACEE.jpeg

appreciate your sharing.. but my neck hurts after going thru your post!!  [laugh]

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

that is what lane 2 is for..

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:46 PM

Theoldjaffa
  • Premium member
    Theoldjaffa
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Did similar job recently for 25 bucks....

Which shop bro?

appreciate your sharing.. but my neck hurts after going thru your post!! [laugh]

Sorry ah. MCF got issue with portrait photos sometimes 🤣
Inlinefour and Mercs praised this
--------------------------------------------
Common sense is not a gift, it's a punishment. Because you have to deal with those who don't have it.

Posted 14 June 2019 - 03:49 PM

Volvobrick
  • Volvobrick
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Which shop bro?
Sorry ah. MCF got issue with portrait photos sometimes 🤣

Yap Bros at old Toh Tuck Road.

Theoldjaffa, Inlinefour and Vidz praised this

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think the shop owner feel pressured when he saw you take so many pic. Must be posting somewhere where many ppl are watching hence must do a better job.

Theoldjaffa and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Feel so rich. Or just an illusion?

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:16 PM

Hamburger
  • Premium member
    Hamburger
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

More like knowing free ads like liao.....working harder. Hahahahaha

do to others what you want others to do to you......

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:42 PM

Mkl22
  • Mkl22
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I think the shop owner feel pressured when he saw you take so many pic. Must be posting somewhere where many ppl are watching hence must do a better job.

They have been doing internal patch exactly this way for years. Doubt they need the extra publicity.

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:21 AM

SIM37
  • SIM37
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Been doing my own worm patching in the last 20 years of driving

From my first car as a unit student, even last week for a friend's motorbike.

As long as the treads are still usable and as long as the puncture is NOT on the sidewal, a worm patch can usually be quite ok until the tyre needs to be replaced till it wears out.

If the hole is too big for the patch, then a patch can temprorary fix the issue (make the leak even slower) until you can limp to a tyre shop.

Alternatively to patching, you may also use stuff like sealant (slime) as a stop gap measure until you reach a tyre shop or if the leak is small, the sealant may just plug the leak.

Theoldjaffa and Beregond praised this

Posted 26 June 2019 - 10:42 AM

Yewheng
  • Premium member
    Yewheng
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Been doing my own worm patching in the last 20 years of driving

From my first car as a unit student, even last week for a friend's motorbike.

As long as the treads are still usable and as long as the puncture is NOT on the sidewal, a worm patch can usually be quite ok until the tyre needs to be replaced till it wears out.

If the hole is too big for the patch, then a patch can temprorary fix the issue (make the leak even slower) until you can limp to a tyre shop.

Alternatively to patching, you may also use stuff like sealant (slime) as a stop gap measure until you reach a tyre shop or if the leak is small, the sealant may just plug the leak.

What about those that is at the edge of sidewall and thread? Can still patch?

Back to Maintenance & Repairs  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic
Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Slime Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System

Slime Safety Spair Flat Tire Repair System  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Gossypol  |  Neutral Newbie

Great option for emergency

I've had a flat tire on my car for about a week (leaking valve stem). Today, I broke it out to inflate the tyre, and was quite pleasantly surprised. I didn't use the Slime component, just used the compressor. I was very impressed. After readi... » Read More

TireCare Revival Kit

TireCare Revival Kit  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Zzgiggs  |  1st Gear

Life saver !

Fantastic product! Had a puncture 2 months ago and used the revival Kit. Found it easy to use and very fast to apply. My tyre is still in good condition and it saved me from buying a pair of new tyres.

Related Product Guide search on sgCarMart.com : Tyre Repair Kit

Quick Reply

Tags: bmw, tyre, punctured, patching and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users