Malaysia to end petrol and diesel subsidies

therock

i could be wrong here but i think it is incorrect to say that RON92 is lower grade and RON100 is higher grade. It's misleading.

The correct way of interpreting is the higher the RON rating, the more it can withstand compression before igniting. hence, a higher compression car will generally require a higher RON.

for me, as long as the fuel is gentle on my wallet, it's a good grade.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

This guy did an amzaing job of data logging on the RON 95 vs RON 98 changes in ignition timing under load:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/599518-ignition-timing-with-95ron-vs-98ron-fuel.html

I have been doing some data logging recently and collected some data running 95 RON fuel vs 98 RON fuel to compare what was happening to ignition timing under load. The two charts below show the results. When running 95RON fuel, timing gets retarded 3-4 degrees under load (costing power).

485636d1288691882-ignition-timing-with-9

485637d1288691882-ignition-timing-with-9

So If you just want a point A to B transport with minimum running cost........use 92-95RON. 

If you want a vehicle that is running optimally use highest RON the manufacturer recommends (optimal).

Admittedly in some cars, the difference in performance is hard to tell, but it also depends on how sensitive the driver is to the performance difference.

Everyone owns and drive a car for different reason and with different budget. Just don't ownself self delusion into thinking others are stupid to be using 98RON for no reason.

Edited by Vratenza
  • Praise 3

Pls everyone.  Why are we pumping 95 in MY when u are legally not supposed to. 

Yeah, we all top up our cars with their local fuel whenever we go up there.  But non MY registered cars can only pump 97, or 100. 

some ulu kampong area dun have Ron97 or 100, and they dun care what license plate you have.

• Praise 1

some ulu kampong area dun have Ron97 or 100, and they dun care what license plate you have.

Cannot be don’t have RON97.

I wonder how many Singaporean dare to drive their car into ulu kampong.

Edited by Davidtch

Cannot be don’t have RON97.

I wonder how many Singaporean dare to drive their car into ulu kampong.

maybe some places not so ulu but i still pump 95 cos they dun have attendant, finish liao they also close one eye.

maybe some places not so ulu but i still pump 95 cos they dun have attendant, finish liao they also close one eye.

Malaysian are more forgiving especially in rural area.

Stations near SG and TH borders are more vigilant, other places less bothered. No need to go too ulu, even driving to Cameron via Tapah where there aren't many stations on the way, just pump whatever is available.

I avoid Tapah. I drive Mini also feel giddy.

I pumped at Simpang Pulai before goes up.

I would also say that MY pump operators are typically more "human" in that they won't ban you from 95 if it's the only petrol they got and it's the only station within 10 km radius. Of course, we won't have that problem here, everywhere there is a station within 5 km.

If you go to certain stations around KL, it's hard to find ron 97. So just fill RON95.

• Praise 2

This guy did an amzaing job of data logging on the RON 95 vs RON 98 changes in ignition timing under load:

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/599518-ignition-timing-with-95ron-vs-98ron-fuel.html

485636d1288691882-ignition-timing-with-9

485637d1288691882-ignition-timing-with-9

So If you just want a point A to B transport with minimum running cost........use 92-95RON.

If you want a vehicle that is running optimally use highest RON the manufacturer recommends (optimal).

Admittedly in some cars, the difference in performance is hard to tell, but it also depends on how sensitive the driver is to the performance difference.

Everyone owns and drive a car for different reason and with different budget. Just don't ownself self delusion into thinking others are stupid to be using 98RON for no reason.

You hit the spot and we’ll said. My car is retuned on 98 and when I’m in malaysia and back and pump 97 or 100, I’ll just drive gently back in Singapore for that tank with less than 0.7bar of pressure on the turbo, the car will work fine... but prolong wacking on malaysia petrol... May ping.

So if pump lowest recommended fuel on turbo car, regardless of CC, drive gently will be ok. If wanna Wack/WOT most of the time, better stick to as high ron as possible or at least to what’s specified on manual.

• Praise 1

yup my last encounter was earlier this year at a petronas near bachok, kelantan

Euro 6 for both gasoline and diesel

Bolehland, Euro 2 for 95 octane, Euro 4M for 97 octane Euro 5 diesel in SELECTED stations only

The ultra high sulphur content in Euro 2 gasoline will kill your cat converter and foul up the intake valve (if port injection), choke your injector (if you have direct injection) in no time. 

Euro 4 is still acceptable but if you are using them tank after tank for many months straight, a bottle of fuel system cleaner is recommended every 4-5 mths of usage just to keep everything clean. 

Turbocharged

Thats true, in Ulu parts of Malaysia only have RON 95.

As long as you pay for your petrol nobody cares at the ulu part of malaysia.

Not just that.. they don't have Euro 5 diesel either.
↡ Advertisement