Full-time national serviceman dies after accident with Bionix during training 03 Nov 18

Raubern

sleep ? rest ? 

I drove the bladdy sm1 in Thailand from 8pm to 2am ! STEAM !! Icing on the cake ?? My NVD kaput. Drive purely on commander's commands. 

wah piang. closed hatch or open hatch?

lucky the comms was still working - if need to use guiding stick, then lagi steam [sweatdrop]

when we were in Thailand in 89, got one M113 overturned... [bigcry]

↡ Advertisement

Not just the driver......You just saved your whole vehicle entourage....... :D

Apart from TSR, the commanders should also exercise good judgement.

during ex wallaby, i saw my driver drove so many hours. the rest of us just take turns behind - one person be vehicle commander, the rest coma...

so at some point, i told my driver i take over, asked him go and coma. my 2ic also shared the load.

we all came back in one piece.

i think my driver was very lucky. [laugh]

sleep ? rest ?

I drove the bladdy sm1 in Thailand from 8pm to 2am ! STEAM !! Icing on the cake ?? My NVD kaput. Drive purely on commander's commands.

Bro.

8pm to 2am really is nothing for jeep and rover drivers. Even tonners.

During battalion ex, 8pm to 2am barely covers a typical bn move or change of con area, and even this excludes admin stuff before and after.. especially when it occurs in the 2nd or 3rd day of exercise.

During one ict, trainers wanted all drivers to sign a form every time they drive, stating they had enough sleep... 6 or 8 continuous hours iirc.

During debrief, I questioned the trainers who gets so much sleep ? are they trying to push responsibility of fatigue accident to drivers when training schedule is fixed by trainers. If exercise is so packed, whose fault is it that drivers don't get enough sleep.

They didn't answer.

But next ict, din see the forms anymore.

Apart from TSR, the commanders should also exercise good judgement.

during ex wallaby, i saw my driver drove so many hours. the rest of us just take turns behind - one person be vehicle commander, the rest coma...

so at some point, i told my driver i take over, asked him go and coma. my 2ic also shared the load.

we all came back in one piece.

i think my driver was very lucky. [laugh]

You are lucky, in many cases, the vehicle only had 1 qualified driver. But life goes on.
  • Praise 1

Me and you are lucky. Not all soldiers have the good fortune. Why need to push people so hard? It's only peace time training.

If someone dies, saf will investigate etc and wayang. Then it happens again, then investigate again.

Why i say wayang? Cos after investigate another soldier will die.

Worse is you cannot sue saf

Which is why I tell every boy going to NS. Just do enough. Don’t be a hero and injure yourself. Your injury will stay with you for life. Will SAF give a damn? Obviously not!
  • Praise 2

Which is why I tell every boy going to NS. Just do enough. Donât be a hero and injure yourself. Your injury will stay with you for life. Will SAF give a damn? Obviously not!

Some may want to be officers. Just do enough is not enough for them.

Bro.

During battalion ex, 8pm to 2am barely covers a typical bn move or change of con area, and even this excludes admin stuff before and after.. especially when it occurs in the 2nd or 3rd day of exercise.

During one ict, trainers wanted all drivers to sign a form every time they drive, stating they had enough sleep... 6 or 8 continuous hours iirc.

During debrief, I questioned the trainers who gets so much sleep ? are they trying to push responsibility of fatigue accident to drivers when training schedule is fixed by trainers. If exercise is so packed, whose fault is it that drivers don't get enough sleep.

They didn't answer.

You are lucky, in many cases, the vehicle only had 1 qualified driver. But life goes on.

You asked good questions.

But did the drivers sign it? If I am the driver, I won't sign and I will report them.

Some may want to be officers. Just do enough is not enough for them.

Officer? Big deal. Who cares what rank you hold as a nsf. Hahahhahahhahahhahaa

Ya .. have seen some of these LJ forms before required by trainers. They just want to put some NSman's names on it. Anything wrong, blame on NSman. It's just Sim Lim Square mode of operation, goods sold are not returnable, no refund, no exchange once they leave the store. Anything wrong not my pasa.

Which is why I continually ask why do we feed all this jiak liao bee saf people after they have retired! Giving them positions in smrt, pub, st and so on. All they know is to cover their own backside.

Anyway the rot starts from the top!

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

Bro.

They didn't answer.

Qualified driver yes one. VC, 21C and spare gunner also licenced to drive.

Not just the driver......You just saved your whole vehicle entourage....... :D

yah all lucky all lucky.

maybe now 30 yr later ask everyone to buy me dinner [laugh]

• Praise 1

Bro.

They didn't answer.

True that jeep and rover drivers are not as siong as tank or m113 drivers.

for one, jeep/rovers got enough ventilation. tank/APC all sauna inside if tactical and closed-hatch. si bey noisy too. Recipe to drive one crazy when long hours.

Then the CVC helmet is heavy and hot.

Plus if tactical, will be staring at either bino in the day or NVD in the night. easy to concussion...

In our case, the section commanders and section 2ICs of every vehicle are also supposedly qualified to drive the m113. for PC and SGT vehicle, the 2 of them also can drive. in training ground that is. Convoy then only the vocational drivers can drive.

so you're right. we were lucky.

• Praise 5

I do not know about SCDF but in the SAF, the top people are always well protected, no matter whether they are directly or indirectly related to any death of a soldier. The top means COL and above rank. 

Yup..... [nod]

Their parachute made of cow-hide and at the end of their SAF career, parachute into a GRC or GIC ...   [lipsrsealed]

• Praise 1

Knn... I say these 5 folks did more for their dead comrade than anything else, at least people know what happened.

If not, even now will also no hear no trail what happened.

Imagine the parents reportedly only knew their sons death from Facebook.

• Praise 10

wah piang. closed hatch or open hatch?

lucky the comms was still working - if need to use guiding stick, then lagi steam [sweatdrop]

when we were in Thailand in 89, got one M113 overturned... [bigcry]

ATEC leh, closed hatch. In unfamiliar and pitch black terrain, night movement ending with dawn attack (Fire base) + I'm a gunner by training. Before that, I hardly drove ...... If comms down, I think will declare veh down sia. Too dangerous. At night how to see guiding stick ? 

But anyway, even if tank overturn, the driver and gunner is the safest

ATEC leh, closed hatch. In unfamiliar and pitch black terrain, night movement ending with dawn attack (Fire base) + I'm a gunner by training. Before that, I hardly drove ...... If comms down, I think will declare veh down sia. Too dangerous. At night how to see guiding stick ?

But anyway, even if tank overturn, the driver and gunner is the safest

No bottom hatch right?

Theoretically is possible turtle in soft ground cannot get out? Can die of thirst?

Why is it scdf report police n not mindef charge the nsfs?

should be a criminal offence likely under official secrets act under the Singapore statutes, so investigation under the Police while MINDEF will be internal disciplinary in consultation with the Police after the court case.  

Edited by Dafansu
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1