Beregond

Please don't clear your own trays.

I rather clear trays when I am old

than sell my body.

I don't think anyone wants to see that.

As for people that complain when I go hawker centre I want the table clean

you can either clear the table yourself or if your hands too precious to touch

anything "dirty" then complain to the hawker centre management to employ

more old people like me. We want jobs not charity.

:D

...... will leave tray behind
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

And when you see me please make a big mess.

Then I can say to my boss

See lah see lah, people make such a big mess

I have to work so hard you know every day cleaning

the mess. So tiring you know, so hard work.

Should give me a pay rise. [thumbsup]

I know... I know, will bring friends to help mess up also. All MUs also come your place .... steady boh

I know... I know, will bring friends to help mess up also. All MUs also come your place .... steady boh

post-23002-0-39043000-1541495847.jpg

Edited by Jamesc

They become service or kitchen staff. Duh.

Definitely better than clearing food trays with tissue paper and food people chewed and spit out.

So it's okay for young waitresses to clean tissue paper and food that people spit out but not for cleaners at the HC?

Let's say your idea is sound and these elderly cleaners become service or kitchen staff... What will the current service and wait staff become? Promoted to restaurant manager?

Edited by Kusje

There is no need for you to justify your refusal to clear your trays.

By doing so, you think have can go a long shot by saving jobs? HC can implement tray return systems or have those robots to facilitate tray clearing just like food courts, any time. You still save jobs then ?

So it's okay for young waitresses to clean tissue paper and food that people spit out but not for cleaners at the HC?

Let's say your idea is sound and these elderly cleaners become service or kitchen staff... What will the current service and wait staff become? Promoted to restaurant manager?

Edited by Davidtkl

People in Taiwan, Korea and Japan also clear their own stuff. What do their old people do then ? They do other stuff. That doesnt mean they would be jobless.

When I go to hawker centers, I wish the previous table occupants would clear their trays so that I can use the table straight away. I clear my tray because I think it is rude to let the other party see the leftovers I have eaten or worse still, clear for me. 

Do you see old uncles and aunties clearing plates at the restaurants or is that in the job design of the waiter/ess?

Nowadays I don't just see uncles and aunties clearing tables; many coffeeshops and foodcourts often employ foreigners. If clearing our own plates helps to preserve jobs for cleaners, then i guess we are helping more to keep these foreign workers employed, rather than elderly Singaporeans.

So I agree that clearing our plates is more about social etiquette. Want to see the benefits of doing this? Go to any of the polys or ITEs - students are expected to return their plates and this helps others to be able to sit and have their food quickly before rushing off for lessons after their break.   

• Praise 1

HC buy robots to clear trays?

Robots cost thousands of dollars.

Uncle James See Beh Xiong only cost a few dollars a day. Of course HC will

exploit cheap workers like Uncle James to clear the trays lah.

But if you want to clear your own trays at HC go ahead lah.

Uncle James want to work only in fast food restaurants. Firstly got aircon

HC so hot, uncle sweat like mad. Then fast food got soft drink for uncle to

drink and lastly fast food got free meal. Uncle like burgers and pizza and fried

chicken so please don't clear trays at fast food joints ok.  [thumbsup]

Nowadays I don't just see uncles and aunties clearing tables; many coffeeshops and foodcourts often employ foreigners. If clearing our own plates helps to preserve jobs for cleaners, then i guess we are helping more to keep these foreign workers employed, rather than elderly Singaporeans.

So I agree that clearing our plates is more about social etiquette. Want to see the benefits of doing this? Go to any of the polys or ITEs - students are expected to return their plates and this helps others to be able to sit and have their food quickly before rushing off for lessons after their break.   

I fully agree with this being about social etiquette and mindset as well. 

We have been brought up to think that we expect someone to clean up after ourselves after we leave the mess. This is a very poor culture to have, and I do not agree it is part of job retention. If we were brought up in a culture whereby we clean up after ourselves, we probably need not have to employ such big number of cleaning staff in the earlier years and now becoming dependant on them. Yes, Japanese public clean up after themselves and hence do not rely on cleaning staff, but is this the only or main reason for their unemployment rate?

I really loathe our locals, not only because we do not clean up after ourselves, but also because of the mess we leave behind. Apart from the usual dirty plates and crockery, we will leave spit out leftover bones and used tissue paper all over the table. Yes, while I agree with the comment which mentions that if everyone returns their trays right after eating, the table is immediately freed up for the next person. This can only be true IF we use the tray throughout the meal, leave all leftover bones and used tissue paper on the tray and clear these into a bin before returning the tray with the used utensils and crockery back to the tray return station. Without doing all these, how will the table be ready immediately for the next person? 

If we can be trained to do it in SAF cookhouses, why can't we do it in food centres and train our young to do it? If our children are able to cultivate this habit from from young, it will become a norm for them as they grow up to clean up after themselves after each meal. 

Edited by Ricky_doodle
  • Praise 4

Internal Moderator

It is not about the money or job. It is about your social etiquette.

Definitely easy to say we don't clear plates so that cleaners will be able to keep their rice bowl, when in actual fact it's just an excuse for being lazy. In a hawker center during peak hour, the turnover rate is so high. If people don't bother clearing up after themselves, there will never be clean tables for the next diners. If we were to rely solely on the cleaners to clean up after us, then there will never be sufficient clean tables to cope with the demand. 

• Praise 1

Thanks for the praises, but I sincerely feel I do not deserve them.

Looking back at the early threads back in 2013, I have realized how much or how little we have progressed on this issue. 

Eating within the tray has been mentioned in post #80 in the old thread, but how common is this practice? How many of our people actually do it? 

And just to add, I do not return the tray for the sake of getting back any money. 

Another issue which I notice when in food courts and coffee shops, where the chairs and tables are not fixed, is that people generally do not know how to push back their chairs after getting up and leaving. This actually requires more effort for the cleaning staff to push the chairs back to be able to reach the tables to clean them.

Have you ever come across the situation whereby you are carrying your hot food which you have just bought, but have to constantly push empty chairs away from your path? Well, I have.

The reason for this behavior? I paid, therefore I must be served. My table must be clean when I get there. My tray must be cleared by someone else, not me. My mess must be cleared by someone else, not me. My chair must be pushed back by someone else, not me. Why? Because, I paid. I paid, and therefore, I must be served. Or just lazy. Or just pure lack of consideration for others. Or all of the above.

Edited by Ricky_doodle

HC buy robots to clear trays?

Robots cost thousands of dollars.

Uncle James See Beh Xiong only cost a few dollars a day. Of course HC will

exploit cheap workers like Uncle James to clear the trays lah.

But if you want to clear your own trays at HC go ahead lah.

Uncle James want to work only in fast food restaurants. Firstly got aircon

HC so hot, uncle sweat like mad. Then fast food got soft drink for uncle to

drink and lastly fast food got free meal. Uncle like burgers and pizza and fried

chicken so please don't clear trays at fast food joints ok.  [thumbsup]

the robot slowly move in front, inside totally empty,

while the worker behind work until no time to clear the tray.

see liao damn funny, super white elephant.

(hopefully its just some student project)

those guys that put the robot obviously didnt eat at HC i think.

when u finish eating at HC , u only do 1 thing,

either u go away without clearing the table or walk away clearing it.

i doubt any 1 will wait for the robot to slowly move to your table for u to clear your tray .

esp at peak period,

• Praise 1

Should enhance the tray robot to multi-task, can avoid on hiring separately the bird-chaser staff

1) Add laser and disco lights, that turns on randomly.

2) Add ultrasonic speakers to play tones that will irritate crows and rats.

3) Add a flapping arms, to chase away birds.

4) Add a jet fan blowing on the top, to cool the surrounding and also blow away the birds and cool the customers.

Turbocharged

I don't eat with the bowls or plates on the tray as the trays look and smell funky. In addition, most trays are warped which causes the bowls to slide into a corner.

But I will return the tray and bowls after makan.

the robot slowly move in front, inside totally empty,

while the worker behind work until no time to clear the tray.

see liao damn funny, super white elephant.

(hopefully its just some student project)

those guys that put the robot obviously didnt eat at HC i think.

when u finish eating at HC , u only do 1 thing,

either u go away without clearing the table or walk away clearing it.

i doubt any 1 will wait for the robot to slowly move to your table for u to clear your tray .

esp at peak period,

I think it works ok. People will put their trays into the robot for it to bring to a collecting area.

well at least the kids will have fun with it.

I've a friend who thinks like kusje as well.

I can't say it's wrong, cos that's really how business owners think abt hiring a cleaner (leaving out social norms and what people want to incalcate in their kids)

I think creating a mess on the table is a definite no. Whatever mess u create, just keep to tray (sometimes unavoidable lah, what prawns have to deshell etc or lots of bones).

Most times i will bring my tray to the cleaner or tray return areas. But sometimes if the fast food joint or foodcourt/outlet not many people, i will leave my tray behind. 

This is my take on the tray return policy. It's a kinda long article but I covered several important points. Such as bulls**t jobs for senior citizens and why they are impossible to get, the jobs that are actually available and how the capitalist market actually works for your average ah gong and ah ma.

https://guardsgonewild.wordpress.com/2018/11/11/the-tray-return-policy/

↡ Advertisement