Sakae Holdings founder...selling bungalow for $16.13m

Lmws214

Lethal Striking Right!

Lethal Striking right again.

And I think Sushi Express is also heading to this direction.

Yeah Sushi Express also. But at least I don't see them having as much outlets as Sakae Sushi.

is 4 mil a big amount for a commodity trade?

Wah.... progressive payment sounds so complicated just for 1 shipment. No wonder he just delivered the goods upfront. Isn't progressive payment also very risky for the buyer? I go sakae sushi also won't pay up until i makan full full so why would a buyer pay them a 20% deposit?

U lucky no one ask which credit card to use can gain more rewards points for redemption.

I suppose can do blockchain transactions. Not much worries about runroad situation

Business aside, the sushi from Sakae Sushi is really CMI.

Totally agree. It's essentially really the lowest common denominator of sushi that's not worth the price.

Even my kids have re-adapted the name of the establishment to 'Sucky Sushi'.

• Praise 3

It is certainly a big amount if dealing with a new customer.

Your analogy is skewed to the core. :D

So for this sugar purchase worth 4 mil, the buyer should sit in the warehouse and finish all the sugar before paying up? :D

is 4 mil a big amount for a commodity trade?

Wah.... progressive payment sounds so complicated just for 1 shipment. No wonder he just delivered the goods upfront. Isn't progressive payment also very risky for the buyer? I go sakae sushi also won't pay up until i makan full full so why would a buyer pay them a 20% deposit?

• Praise 1

The sushi was nice when they just started and one of the biggest players in the market.

Fast forward many years later, they got complacent, quality of sushi has gone down and many other players are now in the market to capitalize on that.

I last ate at Sakae in 2016 or 2017. Really bad. Soggy rice, sticky seaweed.

I haven't eaten there before.

Is it a recent development? Can't be right - otherwise how did they grow so many outlets?

Edited by Beehive3783

Stay away from One Sushi too. About the same standard as Sakae, if not worse. Expensive too.

Lethal Striking Right! 

It's possible that when they first started, they are good. Then a gradual decline as they expand, and possibly cut some corners to manage the increasing costs.

Well Old Chang Kee had a lot of outlets too but their curry puffs is really average at best.

Really insulting OCK curry puff vs sakae sushi leh.

[laugh]

Despite the tough questions, the hour-long AGM was civil, although one shareholder urged Mr Foo to focus on his core food business, voicing concerns that management had gotten "distracted" over the years.

Mr Foo said: "I beg your pardon, if you have mistaken us for a food company. We have never gone out to say we're building a food company. We have always said we are building a global brand."

Sakae has always been on a "brand-building journey", he said: "So you realise that even when we do fintech, it's Sakae Fintech. Even when we do corporate advisory, it's Sakae Corporate Advisory. We go to blockchain, it's Sakae Blockchain. We do cybersecurity, it's Sakae Cybersecurity. It's all riding on the Sakae brand."

He added: "We are trying to build a McDonald's or a Starbucks for sushi. So we are not a F&B company."

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/sakae-sheds-no-further-light-on-case-of-sugar-trade-turned-sour

• Praise 1

The sushi was nice when they just started and one of the biggest players in the market.

Fast forward many years later, they got complacent, quality of sushi has gone down and many other players are now in the market to capitalize on that.

I last ate at Sakae in 2016 or 2017. Really bad. Soggy rice, sticky seaweed.

The very last time i ate at a sakae outlet was when the mall was crowded on a sat night (and the kids needed to eat) and the sakae queue was the shortest.

It was actually acceptable by sakae standards that time haha

Lethal Striking Right! 

i ate sushi express twice before. only with my friend. 

Or else i won't eat there.

And I'm not even particularly picky regarding sushi.

I'm quite happy buying sushi from NTUC or cold storage lol.

Edited by Lala81

I think the founder is busy fighting court case with his ex business partner and dealing with issues not related to sushi in his company. Don't think he can focus on his restaurants at the moment. Their sushi is worse dan not fresh, I have been avoiding them for a long long time and will continue to do so period.

I think that some companies once they go listed and diversify their business their focus on their so called core business just loose focus totally. The focus is on $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Ironically it's usually what causes their downfall as well.

Companies like Sakae Sushi, SMRT, the list goes on.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

MCF .... wait, never said it was a car website, it is the BRAND that is more important, 

dont believe look the non-car part has many more times postings thant the car part

MCF .... wait, never said it was a car website, it is the BRAND that is more important, 

dont believe look the non-car part has many more times postings thant the car part

I think what you are referring to is blind faith. There are a lot of blind followers here.

Despite the tough questions, the hour-long AGM was civil, although one shareholder urged Mr Foo to focus on his core food business, voicing concerns that management had gotten "distracted" over the years.

Mr Foo said: "I beg your pardon, if you have mistaken us for a food company. We have never gone out to say we're building a food company. We have always said we are building a global brand."

Sakae has always been on a "brand-building journey", he said: "So you realise that even when we do fintech, it's Sakae Fintech. Even when we do corporate advisory, it's Sakae Corporate Advisory. We go to blockchain, it's Sakae Blockchain. We do cybersecurity, it's Sakae Cybersecurity. It's all riding on the Sakae brand."

He added: "We are trying to build a McDonald's or a Starbucks for sushi. So we are not a F&B company."

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/sakae-sheds-no-further-light-on-case-of-sugar-trade-turned-sour

Try too hard? Muayhahahaha

Maybe should have

Burger King Investment Banking and Capital Markets Inc....

To me, the supermarket chain with the best pre-prepared sushi is Isetan. Quality beats Cold Storage flat at close to same price. My go to lunch whenever at Orchard Road is sushi bought from Isetan.

• Praise 1

Have not been to his restaurant to eat for a dammmmn long time.

The only thing I remembered was smelling like tempura upon leaving the restaurant or was it soft shell crab

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 4