Sakae Holdings founder...selling bungalow for $16.13m

Lmws214

OCK curry puff is nice. Just had it a couple of weeks. Better than the one at toa payoh who claim to be the original amk tip top.

• Praise 1

I am just trying to be impartial

many say their sushi take like or close to sai

but you have to understand

1 they are selling sushi for the masses 

2 if they truly make sushi like those sold in hi end restaurant I am sure not many (the general public) may not like it because it is alot of acquired taste

3. many of you have eaten at high end - so when you eat there you say no good but you need to compare apple for apple

funny thing is most kids like them, perhaps it is novelty but most kids dislike high end sushi places 

perhaps it is environment where kids know they can be themselves

• Praise 5

Business aside, the sushi from Sakae Sushi is really CMI.

Still remember they were wildly popular in the beginning.. that was soooo many years ago.

The wheellock place was very popular, cos go movie opposite after dinner

if want to be puriton, alot of so call high end restaurants selling sushi also cannot make it

eg 

many of thai restuarant adjust their ingredients and proportion to suit the locals

food is very subjective and depends alot on individual taste

already here some say ok, others say cannot make it

so who exactly is right or wrong for that matter

if you dont like it then find another restuarant

if you like stay with the restuarant

• Praise 2

I kinda like Sakae Sushi. Generally those mass market food chains, like Sakae, Saizeriya, Sushi express, Ajisen... I find them ok. Not lousy, but not fantastic either. It's not bad until it can't be eaten lah.

Even Sushi Tei, I don't find it much better.

Many times I feel it's a matter of stigma and positioning.

If it's cheap it cannot be good.

• Praise 2

Despite the tough questions, the hour-long AGM was civil, although one shareholder urged Mr Foo to focus on his core food business, voicing concerns that management had gotten "distracted" over the years.

Mr Foo said: "I beg your pardon, if you have mistaken us for a food company. We have never gone out to say we're building a food company. We have always said we are building a global brand."

Sakae has always been on a "brand-building journey", he said: "So you realise that even when we do fintech, it's Sakae Fintech. Even when we do corporate advisory, it's Sakae Corporate Advisory. We go to blockchain, it's Sakae Blockchain. We do cybersecurity, it's Sakae Cybersecurity. It's all riding on the Sakae brand."

He added: "We are trying to build a McDonald's or a Starbucks for sushi. So we are not a F&B company."

https://www.businesstimes.com.sg/companies-markets/sakae-sheds-no-further-light-on-case-of-sugar-trade-turned-sour

I find this chap funny. Most of those who diversify do not do it blindly.

They first ensure their core business (F&B restaurants) is rock-solid and highly profitable.

Then they expand into related areas where their experience can help - like other types of cusine, foodcourt, foodstuff distribution, food manufacturing etc.

Only when everything solid solid, then they look for other things to move into, usually 1 step at a time. Or they will acquire a good player in the new market so that there is base to build on - For example, Fintech... if any dog, cat can just enter and succeed, then it means DBS, the local banks, the foreign banks and all the financial startups are in coma - which obviously isn't true.

All these industries have high-barrier to entries due to incumbents's brand equity and related business operations built up over years....

Edited by t0y0ta
  • Praise 5

2 if they truly make sushi like those sold in hi end restaurant I am sure not many (the general public) may not like it because it is alot of acquired taste

3. many of you have eaten at high end - so when you eat there you say no good but you need to compare apple for apple

funny thing is most kids like them, perhaps it is novelty but most kids dislike high end sushi places

Sushi express is best value for money now. Cheaper and not too bad, lots of variety.

Next favourite is Genki. My kids like that outlet in bugis where the sushi is delivered by model trains [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
  • Praise 5

They first ensure their core business (F&B restaurants) is rock-solid and highly profitable.

Then they expand into related areas where their experience can help - like other types of cusine, foodcourt, foodstuff distribution, food manufacturing etc.

Only when everything solid solid, then they look for other things to move into, usually 1 step at a time. Or they will acquire a good player in the new market so that there is base to build on - For example, Fintech... if any dog, cat can just enter and succeed, then it means DBS, the local banks, the foreign banks and all the financial startups are in coma - which obviously isn't true.

All these industries have high-barrier to entries due to incumbents's brand equity and related business operations built up over years....

Now going to diversify into politics? https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/nmp-paralympian-yip-pin-xiu-sakae-holdings-chairman-douglas-foo-10728482
  • Praise 1

Maybe he launch sake coin next...

Or sake crypto exchange..

Fintech mah..

• Praise 1

I think I'm still a kid. I find Sakae sushi better than nihon mura sushi. Anyway, I almost never take things from the conveyor belt because it has been left there for quite some time.
  • Praise 1