Singaporeans can now pay with Nets in JB

Jman888

shop till you drop   [laugh]

Singaporeans can now pay with Nets in JB
Hariz Baharudin
Nov 19, 2018 06:00 am

NP_20181119_HBNETS19_4424096.jpg?itok=OO
Shopping malls popular among Singaporeans, like KSL City, will have Nets acceptance points.TNP FILE PHOTO

There are over 4,500 acceptance points in M'sia

The next time you cross the border to shop in Johor Baru, you may not need to take cash - but do not forget your Nets ATM card.

There are now more than 4,500 Nets acceptance points in Malaysia, and people with these cards can use them in the same way that they do back in Singapore, The Straits Times has learnt.

Use of these cards in Malaysia will also not incur any currency conversion fees and cardholders will enjoy "competitive exchange rates", according to Nets.

Responding to queries from ST, a spokesman for the e-payments giant said last Friday that these Nets acceptance points are now available "throughout Malaysia", including shopping malls in JB known to be popular among Singaporeans, like JB City Square, KSL City and Sutera.

The distribution of the points is not known, however, nor the cities they are in.

But just as they would here, those with Nets-enabled cards issued by Singapore banks DBS/POSB, OCBC Bank and United Overseas Bank can insert their cards into an acceptance point terminal, key in their personal identification number and complete their transactions.

I look forward to its convenience and the ease of mind I will have without having to carry cash. This will make shopping so much easier.
Mr Iqbal Mohammed, who goes to Johor Baru about once a week to eat and shop.

These Nets acceptance points were introduced in Malaysia this month and mark the first time that Nets ATM cards can be used outside of Singapore.

The availability of these Nets machines is thanks to a "reciprocal acceptance" partnership between the payment service provider and its counterpart in Malaysia, PayNet.

PayNet cards will be accepted on Nets' network here next year, said the Nets spokesman.

He added: "Paying with Nets comes with several advantages including not having to physically carry foreign currency and risk running out of cash, to enjoying competitive exchange rates and zero currency conversion fees when consumers pay with their Nets ATM card."

When asked if Nets plans to expand the reach of its ATM card usage overseas, the Nets spokesman said the company has been growing the use of its NetsPay mobile app, which allows digital payments and transactions such as funds transfers.

For instance, in September, Nets partnered with UnionPay International, the Chinese card network, to enable users of its NetsPay mobile app to scan and pay for purchases at over 7.5 million UnionPay QR code merchants globally.

According to the Nets spokesman, there are now more than 11 million Nets ATM cards in the market.

Mr Iqbal Mohammed, 28, goes to JB with his family and friends about once a week to eat and shop.

Most of his time there is spent at malls such as JB City Square and KSL City, and he welcomes the use of Nets ATM cards to make his payments.

"I feel that this is a good move, since it is a hassle sometimes if I decide to go to Malaysia at the last minute ," he said.

"I look forward to its convenience and the ease of mind I will have without having to carry cash. This will make shopping so much easier."

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

Most important:

Use of these cards in Malaysia will also not incur any currency conversion fees and cardholders will enjoy "competitive exchange rates", according to Nets.

So how competitive?

Youtrip rate?

alamak ..... i put in the same under " NETS CARDS- whats the difference" .... you decide lah

oh didn't see that  [sweatdrop]  

this one new case so start a new topic.

Damn ambigous as if they are using interbank exchange rates...... 

Does not even mention or dare mention better than credit card exchange rates

Like ownself praise ownself

But needless to say its a good alternative ; if can only use to pay for Touch n Go top up would be good (dunno can or not also article never mentions )   

Most important:

So how competitive?

Youtrip rate?

Cash is king ð¤

Aiyah ! Nets is indeed cash and wallet can be kept thin but only thing is the exchange rate and in Malaysia I don’t like to carry a thick wad of cash with multi currencies
  • Praise 2

In Bolehland , anything can be hacked for a reason/s, the scammer / robbers can cart away a ATM and and bank safe right under your nose, let alone a money-changer near CIQ staged a robbery by blocking the access to the money changer's shop by staging a car-accidents, Cold hard cash is best in Bolehland.

By doing these, I'm pretty those would be robber/s would be reading into go Sillyporean's mind would react !!

Good in a sense, if the financial institutions can assure how safe it can be with security check etc .

• Praise 4

what happen if NETCard get stolen

illegal use will victim be protected like credit card

you never can underestimate the technology available to use stolen cards

Aiyah ! Nets is indeed cash and wallet can be kept thin but only thing is the exchange rate and in Malaysia I don’t like to carry a thick wad of cash with multi currencies

• Praise 4

See the situation lah, you carry cash they will  "do anything" to get to you as in waylay you anywhere even on the road too

Nets they still need to go to a premise with a machine and that would deter them as there might be camera's in shops/ establishments  and I dont think we can use the Nets card in Malaysia to withdraw cold hard cash

what happen if NETCard get stolen

illegal use will victim be protected like credit card

you never can underestimate the technology available to use stolen cards

• Praise 1

See the situation lah, you carry cash they will  "do anything" to get to you as in waylay you anywhere even on the road too

Nets they still need to go to a premise with a machine and that would deter them as there might be camera's in shops/ establishments  and I dont think we can use the Nets card in Malaysia to withdraw cold hard cash

Bro BanCoe,

I like what you think and certainly can relate to your experiences, however when ppl are desperate , thy start targeting southern/ northern visitors coming-in, the way we drive, way we talk and way we dressed, all tell-tale signs. Call me kiasu-kiasee, Sori I have been trained these mode of security whenever I'm in foreign land, not necessary Bolehland. [drivingcar]

• Praise 1

Won't be keen to use nets in malaysia

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sg.news.yahoo.com/amphtml/man-jailed-6-years-role-atm-scam-led-1-04m-unauthorised-withdrawals-093500079.html

If kana unauthorised withdrawal

Good luck claiming from malaysia

Cloning of cards is nothing new ..... has happened in Singapore and many other countries

But this case is withdrawal at ATM - I doubt our Nets cards can withdraw at Malaysian ATM’s , only at merchants ( unless they set up a fake shop and hold you at gunpoint and do a forced transaction ) which still leaves a paper trail and probably Bank will feel embarrassed and re-imburse the card holder

Good that in Forum here we get different views and make an informed decision

Bro BanCoe,

I like what you think and certainly can relate to your experiences, however when ppl are desperate , thy start targeting southern/ northern visitors coming-in, the way we drive, way we talk and way we dressed, all tell-tale signs. Call me kiasu-kiasee, Sori I have been trained these mode of security whenever I'm in foreign land, not necessary Bolehland. [drivingcar]

Cold hard cash mean anytime I can part with them from wallet.

Imagine telling the robber and police I need to go machine withdraw. You wait ok.

Cold hard cash mean anytime I can part with them from wallet.

Imagine telling the robber and police I need to go machine withdraw. You wait ok.

Handbag is the most common crime in Malaysia.

Not knife point rob.

The best is to stay in Singapore

Everywhere else is not safe

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1