US issues health alert on romaine lettuce

StreetFight3r

post-141090-0-63628400-1542770998_thumb.jpg

Salad lovers, take note... So far SG no advisory but just becareful. If kiasu n kiasi, avoid romaine lettuce for time being. This includes mixed salad cuz got romaine inside. Canada has also issued advisory to abstain from it according to CNA..

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-issues-health-alert-on-romaine-lettuce

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/health/abstain-from-romaine-us-canada-warn-on-e-coli-in-lettuce-10952288

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US health officials warned consumers on Tuesday (Nov 20) not to eat any romaine lettuce and to throw away any they might have in their homes, citing an outbreak of E. coli poisoning.

The Centres for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued the warning against all romaine lettuce just two days before the Thanksgiving holiday, when American families gather and feast together.

"Consumers who have any type of romaine lettuce in their home should not eat it and should throw it away, even if some of it was eaten and no one has gotten sick," the CDC said, after 32 people were reported sick from E. coli poisoning in 11 states, with 13 of them hospitalised.

One of those had suffered kidney failure.

Health officials in Canada said they had also identified 18 people stricken with the same strain of food poisoning in two provinces, Ontario and Quebec.

"This advice includes all types or uses of romaine lettuce, such as whole heads of romaine, hearts of romaine, and bags and boxes of pre-cut lettuce and salad mixes that contain romaine, including baby romaine, spring mix, and Caesar salad," the CDC said, noting that it had not been able to pinpoint precisely where the suspect leaves had originated.

"If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away," the CDC said.

It advised anyone who had stored romaine lettuce in their refrigerator to wash down the shelves where the leaves had been kept.

No deaths have so far been reported.

Edited by StreetFight3r
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

our romaine lettuce is either from malaysia or thailand lol. maybe possibly indonesia.

Relax...

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

our romaine lettuce is either from malaysia or thailand lol. maybe possibly indonesia.

Relax...

AVA has advised that if u are unsure of the source of ur romaine lettuce, throw it away as a precaution. They have also indicated there are romaine lettuce imported from USA but never name any brand yet. Kiasi better la Edited by ChaosMyth
  • Praise 1

AVA has advised that if u are unsure of the source of ur romaine lettuce, throw it away as a precaution. They have also indicated there are romaine lettuce imported from USA but never name any brand yet. Kiasi better la

If u eat atas romaine then maybe from USA hahaha. Maybe in organic section or other supermarkets. Ntuc finest also just malaysia or Thai romaine.
  • Praise 1

Is this a US only outbreak or Global?

I read is in USA and part of Canada, no news from South America and other parts of the world leh.. ^_^  [laugh]  [laugh]

Relax...

Yah lor, I have been eating cheap malaysia romaine, the nearest ang moh ones maybe from Australia, USA ones got to be quite ex.. [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]  ..

AVA has advised that if u are unsure of the source of ur romaine lettuce, throw it away as a precaution. They have also indicated there are romaine lettuce imported from USA but never name any brand yet. Kiasi better la

If you buy from cold storage mayb higher chance is from USA, if you buy those cheap cheap ones from NTUC or SS, mostly from  malaysia or mayb china is as far as it can be..

I buy from prime supermarket and they tell me is from MY.. [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Subway, macdonald got use  Romaine lettuce? If they dont' then I am safe coz that's the only time I eat raw vege.

Nope, they use iceberg lettuce.

But hor, iceberg was also in the news not too long ago as well, and it was the Malaysia ones commonly used.....  [:p]  [laugh]  [laugh]

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/iceberg-lettuce-recalled-ntuc-fairprice-sheng-siong-pesticide-10792922

Edited by Tianmo