Drivers who service their car should learn and read up more

carloverguy2017

I was at a service outlet ( not to be mentioned ) and while leisurely sipping my coffee, the mechanic walks to a man beside me and told him he should perform engine flush because his mileage is time for him to do engine flushing.

So the man asked for the price of engine flushing and then verbally agree to let the mechanic proceed with the additional work done.

Before I can finish my coffee, the mechanic walks back to the man again.

He then mentioned that the spark plug not so good. He suggest change all since doing engine flushing.

The man ask for the price again.

The man realise it is a bit expensive so he is a little rejecting the offer.

The mechanic immediately assure the man not to worry as he will ask the shop boss for discount.

Came back shortly and say the management agree to give discount on the spark plugs for $xx amount.

Hearing that there is discounted price, the man agrees again.

OK I don't wish to stereotype people out here, but the car is just beside you, you should stand up, demand to see the condition of the spark plug, judge for yourself if it is rightful to change.

However all this while, that man's butt was stuck to the seat. He never took a blink of an eye to look at his car, nor ask for more detail opinion. He readily accepts.

Engine flushing, whether it is legit or snake oil, you should also judge.

But looking at the man's reaction from the proposal, he seems to be nullified of his knowledge of cars, even basic servicing.

He would listen to what the mechanics says. His only concern is price.

That is no way you should even offer your car to a service outlet or workshop to take your hard earned money.

Sometimes ignorant is bliss.

But when comes to ignorance of basic car care, it is blitz.

This shows that he trust the mechanic.. So okay what.. As long as work is done and swee swee, to many its good enough.

↡ Advertisement

neighbor trusts AD service centre so much that I don't know how the mechs aren't informing her to change tyres early.

Been using original tyre since the day they bought (in 2016) and already travelled 65k km.

Tyre don't look good, drove their car once.. felt wobbly and made me super nauseous. Informed them couple of times but they said the svc centre mechs claim its still ok/usable. [crazy] 

TS already noe that ignorant is a bliss but Why he so worked up over others' problem?

If that guy want to spend his money on all these services, its his money, not ours. Who are we judging him?

There are other things that need our attention, rather than poking into those matters that doesn't related to us.

I have a fren whom sent her car which left 1 year COE to AD for changing faulty fuel pump for $600 plus while a recon can get for 300 plus.

She is happy to pay her $600 plus to AD & last week her car just reached 10 years & sent for scrap.

Even now she still think this money is well spent, maybe that money is nothing compare spending time with family members. well, its her problem anyway, Not mine. [laugh]

Sometime if we noe ourselves street smart can liao, no need to show the whole world one.

Edited by Sugimoto
  • Praise 6

Agreed on the thread title. A bit like self praising. LOL

Anyway I reckon a thread on such nature would be good for all car owner whether PI or AD.

Things to watch out during servicing. The cost as well so as enable everyone to do a quick check before committing with the WS.

Already so many thread on the purchasing aspect but so few thread on maintenance and servicing. Dont like sponsor involve. Member only thread. ð

Well said

Some ppl really dunno when they are too full of themselves

• Praise 1

some people value their time more.

i understand the mechanics of things but i send to my dealer in d morning n collect in the late noon because i value my time.

and car works for me not the other way round

i dont send my car for servicing during work hrs....always during my day off. Actually i earn peanuts hence i prefer to stick around the ws to see whats happening to my car. Had a very bad experience when i left my bike in a ws donkey yrs ago...so now i dont trust any ws 100% especially those who calls me brother. But if i can earn hundreds or thousands of dollars while waiting at the ws i think i would prefer the money.....i just repaired my aircon on my own, it was blowing on/off on its own and i did a quick search and found the cause. I even fix my own carcam........i am such a cheapskate! Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 3

:a-good: Cheapo here also, changed speed sensor myself which cost less than $50

workshops quoted me gearbox repair (>$2.5k) and ECU replacement ~$1k (and no guarantee will solve problem) [grin][crazy]

Just need to google abit to decide what to try but has be handy in the 1st place lah and got spare time [nod]

Likewise for my motorbike, agent recommended replacement display cluster when my speedo needle is not moving, ended up I found that the connector (between the wire from display and speed sensor) is no good, redo it and worked fine since then....FOC but wasted quite some time figuring how to strip :a-m1524:

So I dun really trust mechanics anymore, if I can DIY, I will just do it to my own satifaction :yuush:

Wow you shifu level, next time i will ping you if i need technical advice, haha . I disconnected my passenger side lumbar support mechanism , have not replaced the valve , hope to find some time to do it soon.

i dont send my car for servicing during work hrs....always during my day off. Actually i earn peanuts hence i prefer to stick around the ws to see whats happening to my car. Had a very bad experience when i left my bike in a ws donkey yrs ago...so now i dont trust any ws 100% especially those who calls me brother. But if i can earn hundreds or thousands of dollars while waiting at the ws i think i would prefer the money.....i just repaired my aircon on my own, it was blowing on/off on its own and i did a quick search and found the cause. I even fix my own carcam........i am such a cheapskate!ð¤£ð¤£

Every time I send car to workshops during office hours or workshops with upper level, most of the time the things that must change will be higher
  • Praise 2

Kee Chiu if you have Haynes car repair manual or Bentley Publisher Repair Manual

I have a Mercedes Workshop Repair Software though. Helps alot to when I do my DIY projects.
  • Praise 1

That too.....but i don't use my stethoscope for knee pain complaint....

hahaha......reminds me of the mech who puts a long rod at the motor and listens at the other end....any motor and says......bro, your motor bearing gone liao... Edited by Eviilusion
  • Praise 1

I have a Mercedes Workshop Repair Software though. Helps alot to when I do my DIY projects.

hi, can share lobang in case i need one?  So far my workshop is able to OBD dump and workshops like Sonic Racing is able to  SW upgrade, but any better lobang would be appreciated .

Edited by Ct3833

hahaha......reminds me of the mech who puts a long rod at the motor and listens at the other end....any motor and says......bro, your motor bearing gone liao...ð¤£ð¤£ð¤£. Wah.....talking about knee pain, i go borrow my son's steth....sure can hear creaking sound as it hurts when i try to stand.

You should have bet with him. If bearing not gone. Then replacement labour is free ah? Need to always make people put money where their mouth is. Else talk is free. Hahhahaha.

You should have bet with him. If bearing not gone. Then replacement labour is free ah? Need to always make people put money where their mouth is. Else talk is free. Hahhahaha.

now atas oredy....they use stethescope.....more sensitive and can pinpoint the exact location where the grinding sound is coming from....

i dont send my car for servicing during work hrs....always during my day off. Actually i earn peanuts hence i prefer to stick around the ws to see whats happening to my car. Had a very bad experience when i left my bike in a ws donkey yrs ago...so now i dont trust any ws 100% especially those who calls me brother. But if i can earn hundreds or thousands of dollars while waiting at the ws i think i would prefer the money.....i just repaired my aircon on my own, it was blowing on/off on its own and i did a quick search and found the cause. I even fix my own carcam........i am such a cheapskate!ð¤£ð¤£

i aspires to be like you when im older n retired.... spend a good afternoon doing things that i would never have done when i was younger...

but whenever i tries to repair something it will end up worse. some people just don't have the touch! haha