Drivers who service their car should learn and read up more

carloverguy2017

I told off some service agent before for frequent "recommendation" to change this change that.. I say your car so fragile, more fragile than lao pok car. They say theirs is high performance must change frequently. Hahahaha.

they have all the reasons ... high performance or low performance end up also need to change frequently.  :D  

No wonder MRT always break down. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

they have all the reasons ... high performance or low performance end up also need to change frequently. :D

No wonder MRT always break down.

no lar.....mrt never change anything until they breakdown....
  • Praise 1

w/s will charge $10 for a simple aircon or air filter change ... even the light bulbs !!

these are simple things that one could DIY .... but most just can't be bothered with.

$10 for aircon filter is dirt cheap.

Wait till you see Cycle & Carriage charge you $80 for air con filter.

And even if your car is spanking new at 10,000km, they recommend you to flush your engine ($80) and chemical clean your aircon ($80) - prices before GST.

$10 for aircon filter is dirt cheap.

Wait till you see Cycle & Carriage charge you $80 for air con filter.

And even if your car is spanking new at 10,000km, they recommend you to flush your engine ($80) and chemical clean your aircon ($80) - prices before GST.

Air con filter change can DIY if you know how to change.

i no expert, but flush at 20k abit c--k??

new car 20 k aircon want service wat?? if got problem should'nt it be under warrently??

at most if the cabin filter very dirty, then just replace that only.

( personally i flush and put ceratec at around 40-50 k interval. )

That’s why I rejected. No choice but to go back cos free servicing for 3 years. Knife bua very sharp liao but every servicing I reject them cos need to pay extra money, I don’t wan and they cannot do anything. Next time find my own workshop plus I can see what they are doing.

When i was driving a COE car, 15 years old car, all workshops i go to say dont do engine flush. Later everywhere also leak. And older car must use thicker lub oil.

Newer car dont do engine flush. Old car dont do engine flush. So my conclusion is engine flush is snake oil.

Old oil choke off leak.  After flush, too clean liao.

Oil car not necessary to use thicker oil.  Should always follow factory oil spec.

engine oil flush is like body detox treatment.

it depends on who you ask, if it's a snake oil or not.

using the right detergent engine oil, changing it out at the appropriate interval or eating the right food and exercising, may be enough for most people.

engine oil flush is like body detox treatment.

it depends on who you ask, if it's a snake oil or not.

using the right detergent engine oil, changing it out at the appropriate interval or eating the right food and exercising, may be enough for most people.

What's the recommended mileage for engine flush?

Answer: Do engine flush whenever your wallet feels too heavy and it is putting a strain in your back pants pocket. 

[laugh]

Most of the time I don't even trust AD workshop. Read from online that engine flush should not be done unless your mileage is high, but my AD workshop asks me do engine flush and aircon servicing when my mileage is only 20k, I rejected them. When should engine flush be done? Comments experts?

Answer: Do engine flush whenever your wallet feels too heavy and it is putting a strain in your back pants pocket. 

[laugh]

There is a reason why engine flush is not part of the manufacturer's default servicing schedule. If it is required to maintain the integrity and prolong the lifetime of the engine, I would think that should be inside the maintenance schedule such that the manufacturer will have less warranty claims to entertain for engine issues. (some manufacturer give warranty for 10yrs engine...) 

Most of the time I don't even trust AD workshop. Read from online that engine flush should not be done unless your mileage is high, but my AD workshop asks me do engine flush and aircon servicing when my mileage is only 20k, I rejected them. When should engine flush be done? Comments experts?

What's the recommended mileage for engine flush?

No car manufacturers recommend engine flush.

Many people do not know that your correct API/ACEA spec engine oil already comes loaded with detergent.

It's cleaning the engine every time it's running.

When the detergent and other additive is used up, that's when you change engine oil and renew the process.

So there's no need for engine flush, if you were following manufacturer's recommendation.

Even for those engine with sludge, the recommended fix is to use a mineral oil with high detergent and change it often, 3 months / 5k or less.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 4

When i was driving a COE car, 15 years old car, all workshops i go to say dont do engine flush. Later everywhere also leak. And older car must use thicker lub oil.

Newer car dont do engine flush. Old car dont do engine flush. So my conclusion is engine flush is snake oil.

Engine flush only when your engine already sick and dieing. You need to clear all those clogged stuffs to start new.

No car manufacturers recommend engine flush.

Many people do not know that your correct API/ACEA spec engine oil already comes loaded with detergent.

It's cleaning the engine every time it's running.

When the detergent and other additive is used up, that's when you change engine oil and renew the process.

So there's no need for engine flush, if you were following manufacturer's recommendation.

Even for those engine with sludge, the recommended fix is to use a mineral oil with high detergent and change it often, 3 months / 5k or less.

But MotorImage asks owners if they wanna do engine flush at 20k servicing wor.

They need the revenue to feed Ah Seng's Killer Whale Radio Ads?

Usually AD workshop would tell car owner to do this and do that de. Outside workshop is car owner tell them what you want to do lo. Esp many outside workshop dont really keep track on each individual car servicing record, so they would not know what additional servicing your car needs to do. The only basic thing outside workshop always do is change engine oil enough liao. Lol. 

• Praise 2

1-1.5 years over a few servicing , before my COE due to expire

Me: Suspension noisy, fetch people very paiseh

Mech: Tell them got car sit good liao

Me: Battery 3 years never change liao

Mech: Test liao still working

Me: Never mind lar just change engine start feel a bit weak

Me: For at least past 3 servicing, Brake pad and disc at least 2 years never change liao

Mech: I see liao still can use

Me: Side mirror motor spoil, mirror cannot fold

Mech: then don't fold lor, save money

After renew COE

Me: i renew COE liao want overhaul, make car swee swee

Mech: ok. Suspension, bushings all change. engine mount change 2 can liao, brake pad and disc change, oil pan r change just in case and some small items 

Still don't allow me change my side mirror lol

• Praise 2

Me: For at least past 3 servicing, Brake pad and disc at least 2 years never change liao

After renew COE

Mech: ok. Suspension, bushings all change. engine mount change 2 can liao, brake pad and disc change, oil pan r change just in case and some small items 

Sounds like the mechanic from outside workshop that i used to frequent. Lol. He always tell me no need to change unless kaput, just change normal engine oil can liao. 

Twincharged

After renew COE

Similar to mine. Lol

After renew COE

Very similar to mine also.

thats y i stick to them even though i know so nearby place is cheaper for certain parts.

↡ Advertisement