• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
18 replies to this topic | 135 praises

Posted 27 November 2018 - 01:17 AM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Horsepower has always been a universal indicator of a car's performance. So, let's find out what are the cars that offers the lowest cost per bhp!
To a car enthusiast, every detail in the specification sheet of a car is important as they all play a part in painting a complete picture of the car in point. To most people, however, information such as 'double wishbones suspension', 'Carbon fibre monocoque' or 'gasoline direct injection' are just technical jargons that serve little purpose. Horsepower, however, is much simpler to understand.

As the term suggests, the origin of this unit of measurement came from the desire to compare the output of an engine to that of horses (which were used to complete tasks such as pulling carriages in the past). So, more horsepower equals to more energy which is surely a plus point! Our aim here is to find the cars that give you your metaphorical horses at the lowest price point, which will no doubt means the best deal (because, clearly, power is the only thing that matters).

Here are the top 20 new cars with the cheapest horsepower.

1. Skoda Octavia 2.0 TSI RS245

$539/bhp

Price: $129,900 (including COE)
Bhp: 241
OMV: $26,004
Annual Depreciation: $11,600

2. Kia Stinger 3.3 GT V6

$542.46/bhp

Price: $197,999 (including COE)
Bhp: 365
OMV: $42,239
Annual Depreciation: $17,200

3. SEAT Leon CUPRA 2.0 TSI DSG

$543.36/bhp

Price: $155,400 (including COE)
Bhp: 286
OMV: $33,884
Annual Depreciation: $13,500

4. Maxus G10 Executive 2.0T Luxury

$544.18/bhp

Price: $116,999 (including COE)
Bhp: 215
OMV: $25,085 (Flagship)
Annual Depreciation: $10,343.95

5. Subaru Forester 2.0 XT

$549.58/bhp

Price: $130,800 (including COE)
Bhp: 238
OMV: $16,760
Annual Depreciation: $12,200

6. Mazda CX-3 2.0 Standard

$575.64/bhp

Price: $89,800 (including COE)
Bhp: 156
OMV: $17,024
Annual Depreciation: $8,100

7. Hyundai Elantra 1.6 GLS

$587.29/bhp

Price: $73,999 (including COE)
Bhp: 126
OMV: $12,424
Annual Depreciation: $6778.7

8. Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI Ambition

$589.40/bhp

Price: $127,900 (including COE)
Bhp: 217
OMV: $27,255 (Ambition Plus)
Annual Depreciation: $11,282.15

9. Subaru WRX 2.5 STI M

$593.92/bhp

Price: $175,800 (including COE)
Bhp: 296
OMV: $26,700
Annual Depreciation: $16,100

10. Subaru WRX 2.0 M

$597.73/bhp

Price: $157,800 (including COE)
Bhp: 264
OMV: $24,239
Annual Depreciation: $14,500

11. Renault Megane RS 1.8T TCe

$597.82/bhp

Price: $164,999 (including COE)
Bhp: 276
OMV: $30,800
Annual Depreciation: $14,700

12. Honda Civic Type-R 2.0 Turbo

$598.04/bhp

Price: $182,999 (including COE)
Bhp: 306
OMV: $41,257
Annual Depreciation: $15,800

13. Toyota Harrier 2.0 Elegance (MY18)

$599.07/bhp

Price: $135,988 (including COE)
Bhp: 227
OMV: $32,604
Annual Depreciation: $11,700

14. Kia Cerato 1.6 L

$603.17/bhp

Price: $75,999 (including COE)
Bhp: 126
OMV: $11,115
Annual Depreciation: $7,000

15. Perodua Bezza 1.3 Premium X (M)

$604.26/bhp

Price: $56,800 (including COE)
Bhp: 94
OMV: $10,986
Annual Depreciation: $5130.70

Source: https://m.sgcarmart....p?CT=e&AID=3628
Old-driver, Atrecord, DACH, yishunite, Buadongdong, Freeder, BanCoe, 10 other members and 1 Anonymous member praised this
Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 27 November 2018 - 07:31 AM

Fungyee77
  • Fungyee77
    5th Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Interesting list. 

Actually, from a depreciation pa/hp, both the Stinger ($47.1) and the Cupra ($47.2) appear to be more "cost effective" than the VRS 245 ($48.1). 

Also, good to note that all 3 are cheaper than the previous hp/$ champion Forester XT. 

I suppose the i30N will also be on the list once the pricing / OMV is confirmed. 

That said, Maxus does stick out like a sore thumb at #4  [rolleyes] ... For alignment with the intents of people who would reference such a list for carbuying decisions, may be useful to filter by hp >200 (to eliminate cars like Cerato, Elantra) and perhaps by weight (to eliminate outliers like the Maxus) ?

Tianmo and kdash praised this

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:24 AM

Vratenza
  • Premium member
    Vratenza
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

If they can factor in BHP/tonne that will be interesting to see how the ranking change. 

Circles Life Referral Code: HTWWD

Posted 27 November 2018 - 08:58 AM

Dannnn
  • Dannnn
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Lidat i count mine 940/bhp walao eh

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Interesting list.

Actually, from a depreciation pa/hp, both the Stinger ($47.1) and the Cupra ($47.2) appear to be more "cost effective" than the VRS 245 ($48.1).

Also, good to note that all 3 are cheaper than the previous hp/$ champion Forester XT.

I suppose the i30N will also be on the list once the pricing / OMV is confirmed.

That said, Maxus does stick out like a sore thumb at #4 [rolleyes] ... For alignment with the intents of people who would reference such a list for carbuying decisions, may be useful to filter by hp >200 (to eliminate cars like Cerato, Elantra) and perhaps by weight (to eliminate outliers like the Maxus) ?

yes they should filter out those below 200bhp.

If suv, it should be forester or harrier turbo for most value for money

Posted 27 November 2018 - 10:54 PM

SersanM3
  • SersanM3
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Interesting list.

That said, Maxus does stick out like a sore thumb at #4 [rolleyes] ... For alignment with the intents of people who would reference such a list for carbuying decisions, may be useful to filter by hp >200 (to eliminate cars like Cerato, Elantra) and perhaps by weight (to eliminate outliers like the Maxus) ?

Hyundai i30n is a good option, is expensive in comparison with others and when you drive it, you thi k that is a beast, but i can recomend you that look for volkswagen gti mk7, i have it and is absolutely amazing, Gti is a perfect car for everyday because isn’t too poweful and the fuel consumption is okay
Fungyee77 praised this

Posted 28 November 2018 - 08:27 AM

Aventa
  • Premium member
    Aventa
    2nd Gear
    Author Image

Interesting discussion but should filter out according to category,

E.g $/HP for SUV, MPV, Sedan etc.

Work hard to turn your dreams into reality!
Lamborghini Aventador S Coupe 6.5 V12

Posted 29 November 2018 - 11:43 AM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Agree but from the list we can see easily whats the best in market that suits our need.

For example for suv theres forester and harrier
For sedan/hatch its octavia or stinger
For mpv can consider maxus etc
Carbon82 praised this

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:10 PM

Lotr8445r
  • Lotr8445r
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Please help to do so and also do remind to minus away the parf value from the total cost to show the truth value. For example a XT might show at the higer ranking but if one take into the considersation of their pathetic OMV, it’s ranking may drop as compare with others

Posted 29 November 2018 - 12:33 PM

Fungyee77
  • Fungyee77
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Please help to do so and also do remind to minus away the parf value from the total cost to show the truth value. For example a XT might show at the higer ranking but if one take into the considersation of their pathetic OMV, itâs ranking may drop as compare with others

Using depreciation pa/hp, you can see the effect. As mentioned, Stinger is cheaper than VRS, Cupra, Forester as XT by that measure. For what it's worth.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:16 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Using depreciation pa/hp, you can see the effect. As mentioned, Stinger is cheaper than VRS, Cupra, Forester as XT by that measure. For what it's worth.

Depreciation might be inaccurate cause some cars offer more discount or overtrade and doesnt reflect on depreciation from list price

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Depreciation might be inaccurate cause some cars offer more discount or overtrade and doesnt reflect on depreciation from list price

Does overtrade increase value of trade-in car

or

it is a discount?

Posted 29 November 2018 - 03:46 PM

Wt_know
  • Wt_know
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

9/10 ... ok ... 8/10 do not drive for full 10 years

so .... the $/hp is much much much higher la ... LOL

Lotr8445r praised this

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:39 PM

Fungyee77
  • Fungyee77
    5th Gear
    Author Image

Fair point and I totally agree.

But that's an issue whether you use total price or the depreciation pa. My point was that the depreciation pa number takes into account scrap value effects.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Does overtrade increase value of trade-in car
or
it is a discount?

Its a discount but they let the discount add into your existing trade in car so that you get more cash for downpayment and list price remain high so you can take more loan
At a time it makes you feel you get good bargain cause they take in your car higher
And with more loan car dealer earn more commission from bank

Edited by Thaiyotakamli, 29 November 2018 - 06:43 PM.

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:47 PM

Holdenutessv
  • Premium member
    Holdenutessv
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

RS245+STG1  :a-happy:  [drivingcar]

Thaiyotakamli and Sdf4786k praised this
Error 404: Signature Not Found

Posted 30 November 2018 - 12:18 AM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Its a discount but they let the discount add into your existing trade in car so that you get more cash for downpayment and list price remain high so you can take more loan
At a time it makes you feel you get good bargain cause they take in your car higher
And with more loan car dealer earn more commission from bank

This sounds like housing ad I saw in KL

Down payment: 5%
Loan: 70%
Sdf4786k praised this

Posted 30 November 2018 - 09:56 AM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

This sounds like housing ad I saw in KL

Down payment: 5%
Loan: 70%

Car loan and housing loan wide difference in calculation. And hence alot of people dont understand why 1.88 or 2.55% makes a huge difference.

The overall car price that is bought shoot up. And hence many buy full cash, because the savings is afew thousand dollars. 

Posted 01 December 2018 - 11:11 PM

Pocus
  • Pocus
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hyundai i30n is a good option, is expensive in comparison with others and when you drive it, you thi k that is a beast, but i can recomend you that look for volkswagen gti mk7, i have it and is absolutely amazing, Gti is a perfect car for everyday because isn’t too poweful and the fuel consumption is okay

I tend to agree yet disagree a little.

I have a short run with a MK7 GTI. I've even written a review sometime back and all I can say is the MK7 GTI is full of tech and driving aids that it make boost your driving confidence to a level that you think you are a good driver. But after a sweet honeymoon you will realise that you are just a mediocre daily driver like any others cos anyone can drive a GTI. You don't drive the MK7 GTI, it drives you.

As for the I30N? Different story. It doesn't nearly display the same amount of tech the GTI offers. With the manual gearbox, it demands the driver out of the drivers to command this steed. I didn't write a review for the I30N cos I felt I wasn't qualified and test drives are too short. I struggled to get used to the sensitivity of the clutch, stalling the car a fair bit with my limited experience in manual cars. But it was an out-of-the-world experience and a reality check on my driving abilities that rocked myself with self doubt and dodge down to a more subdued confidence. IMHO it is a beast by its own standards that no other car of this category, not even the GTI can match..

I would have ask my SE to shut up and take my money, but buying a car in SG is not so simple as I couldn't to get consensus from my more rational stakeholder who is done to noisy hot hatches (for now), let alone one that pops and bangs on WOT.

Edited by Pocus, 01 December 2018 - 11:25 PM.

Toeknee_33 praised this

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: power, bhp, value, zoom and 3 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users