2.5 camry hybrid vs 2.5 mazda 6

villan

Not much point paying for the top spec 2.5L mz6 IMO.

The same old 2.5L engine that's completely unchanged since 2012/2013.

Hi Lala,

Just collected the mazda 6 2.0 about 1 month ago ... ok for my wife on lane 2 and lane 3 but for myself, I may just get the 2.5l if price is ok at 5-8k more.

Mazda 6 2.0's FC is great at 12-13km/l but engine when pushed to 3k rpm for a bit more spirited pickup is vocal and the 2.5 with added deactivation would not be far off on FC but with expected quickness and less vocal engine.

Cheers.

Richard

↡ Advertisement

Only add 2 cyls cut out at Light throttle.

Haha locally who buys 2.5l models to save Petrol?

The local editons that doesn't have the 2.5t in global cx5 or mz6 right now, really short changed.

You have to balance out the cramped interior (for an executive sedan) vs not much power vs quality interior.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Er, that would depend on which of the stingers you're talking about...

The GT is almost 200k, whereas the most expensive Mazda 6 2.5L Luxury is about 137k (rounding up).

Haven't gotten down to molesting a stinger in the showroom or taking it out for a test-drive yet. But it's definitely on my "must drive one of these days" list.

Have seen at least 3 stingers on the road the last couple of months. Stuck in traffic with everyone else, so no chance for it to flex its muscle.

referring to the 2.0T...haha

Haha locally who buys 2.5l models to save Petrol?

The local editons that doesn't have the 2.5t in global cx5 or mz6 right now, really short changed.

You have to balance out the cramped interior (for an executive sedan) vs not much power vs quality interior.

I think given the recent price drops from VW and Skoda, it really makes the competition in the large family sedan sector more intense.

For reference, the Skoda Superb L & K is now selling for $139K, while the Mz6 2.5L Luxury trim is selling for $143K (rounding up), though it's before further discounts (their website states "up to" 7K discount).

Skoda's Superb is hard to beat in terms of practicality and passenger comfort, featuring one of the best leg and shoulder room for the rear passengers, and arguably the largest boot in a large family sedan. If not for the fact that the Superb L & K was going at $155,800 at the time I was looking for a new car, my current ride would be quite different.

While the Mz6 2.5L engine is only slightly upgraded from the pre-FL edition (like only 3bhp increase), it still provides more than adequate power to overtake about 60-70% of other cars on the road. Non-turbo also means slightly reduced maintenance intervals and costs. Turbocharged engines are awesome but need some TLC compared to their naturally-aspirated counterparts.

I think given the recent price drops from VW and Skoda, it really makes the competition in the large family sedan sector more intense.

For reference, the Skoda Superb L & K is now selling for $139K, while the Mz6 2.5L Luxury trim is selling for $143K (rounding up), though it's before further discounts (their website states "up to" 7K discount).

Skoda's Superb is hard to beat in terms of practicality and passenger comfort, featuring one of the best leg and shoulder room for the rear passengers, and arguably the largest boot in a large family sedan. If not for the fact that the Superb L & K was going at $155,800 at the time I was looking for a new car, my current ride would be quite different.

While the Mz6 2.5L engine is only slightly upgraded from the pre-FL edition (like only 3bhp increase), it still provides more than adequate power to overtake about 60-70% of other cars on the road. Non-turbo also means slightly reduced maintenance intervals and costs. Turbocharged engines are awesome but need some TLC compared to their naturally-aspirated counterparts.

at today's price, seems like Superb is the most value for $ buy (compared to M6, Camry, Stinger 2.0).

at today's price, seems like Superb is the most value for $ buy (compared to M6, Camry, Stinger 2.0).

It really depends on what you're looking for.

If you ask me, the Skoda Superb L & K is a really nice car, especially if you're going to be hauling multiple passengers most of the time, then your passengers and yourself will appreciate the more generous leg and shoulder room of the Superb.

In addition, the L & K trim for the superb boasts an impressive array of features. However, compared to the Mz6 Luxury, it lacks some nice safety features such as autonomous braking.

So go by your needs.

It really depends on what you're looking for.

If you ask me, the Skoda Superb L & K is a really nice car, especially if you're going to be hauling multiple passengers most of the time, then your passengers and yourself will appreciate the more generous leg and shoulder room of the Superb.

In addition, the L & K trim for the superb boasts an impressive array of features. However, compared to the Mz6 Luxury, it lacks some nice safety features such as autonomous braking.

So go by your needs.

Does Superb L&K come with 360 camera, front sensor? heard M6 is noisy. How's superb NVH?

Does Superb L&K come with 360 camera, front sensor? heard M6 is noisy. How's superb NVH?

Some key differences:

1) Mz6 2.5L has full LED headlamps and DRL vs Skoda Superb L & K has Bi-Xenon headlamps and LED DRL

2) Mz6 2.5L has autonomous braking, Skoda Superb doesn't

3) Mz6 2.5L has 360 degree camera WITH 4 front and 4 rear parking sensors, Skoda Superb has a reverse camera only, unsure about the number of sensors

4) Mz6 2.5L does NOT have an electric tailgate, Skoda Superb L & K has a foot-operated auto boot

5) Mz6 2.5L infotainment is 8 inch screen, Skoda Superb L & K uses a 9.2 inch screen for its infotainment

6) Mz6 2.5L has no wireless charging box for mobile phone, Skoda Superb L & K has

7) Mz6 2.5L uses Macpherson Struts front, Multi-Link rear suspensions, Skoda Superb L & K uses air suspension system with adjustable settings

8) Mz6 2.5L has no customiz-able ambient lighting, Skoda Superb L & K has

9) Sunroof on Superb L & K is bigger than that on the Mz6 2.5L

10) Mz6 2.5L is NA engine, Skoda Superb is 2.0L Turbocharged engine

11) Skoda superb has auto-parking/ parking assist system, Mz6 2.5L does not

12) Interior space and boot space -- Skoda Superb is clear winner here

NVH is a very subjective thing. So I won't comment on that.

Edited by DK3410
  • Praise 2

Some key differences:

1) Mz6 2.5L has full LED headlamps and DRL vs Skoda Superb L & K has Bi-Xenon headlamps and LED DRL

3) Mz6 2.5L has 360 degree camera WITH 4 front and 4 rear parking sensors, Skoda Superb has a reverse camera only, unsure about the number of sensors

4) Mz6 2.5L does NOT have an electric tailgate, Skoda Superb L & K has a foot-operated auto boot

5) Mz6 2.5L infotainment is 8 inch screen, Skoda Superb L & K uses a 9.2 inch screen for its infotainment

6) Mz6 2.5L has no wireless charging box for mobile phone, Skoda Superb L & K has

7) Mz6 2.5L uses Macpherson Struts front, Multi-Link rear suspensions, Skoda Superb L & K uses air suspension system with adjustable settings

Air suspension?! Or you mean selectable damping?

Air suspension?! Or you mean selectable damping?

Sorry, I think I meant to say selectable damping. They call it "Dynamic Chassis Control".

Edited by DK3410

Haha, almost want to make me rush down to the showroom to buy one. Cheers!

Eh, still a nice car lor. Good buy now esp they dropped their price.

• Praise 1

Some key differences:

Thanks for the detailed list. i wish superb came with item 3....

Eh, still a nice car lor. Good buy now esp they dropped their price.

the lowest trim seems to be the most value for $ though...@120k

Some key differences:

Hi DK,

Cool !!

For me only #3 for Mazda 2.5 then but cannot beat #10 for Skoda but the name of Skoda is ahem.

Cheers.

Richard

Some key differences:

Superb seems more attractive. 

Superb seems more attractive. 

All VW Group of Products are Value For $$$ when you buy,but long Term use.?I still think Japanese Car is ,My Brother in Law,bought the VW Sharan 8 Years ago,after the Test Drive,got the nice feeling,after just 3 Years,Warranty over,,,haha...Problems came in,...sold it 3 months ago,bought a Honda...

• Praise 1

Got some subtle differences la.

Skoda is the "cheaper" brand within the VAG empire. So the tech they use tends to be a bit older and less "cutting edge" than what is being used in like Audi or VW.

Even the 6-speed wet DCT used in their Superb is an "older" design, compared to the "newer" 7-speed dry DCT.

It turned out the dry DCT was the one which tended to s*** itself after 3-5 years, while the wet design tended to last. In engineering, it was probably because of better heat dissipation characteristics of a wet DCT vs a dry, combined with most car owners not knowing the difference between a DCT and conventional auto and hence not knowing how to care for their car.

Having said that, for Singapore traffic in general, I'd take a conventional auto over a DCT any day. You can just crawl forward at glacial speeds all day without having to worry about riding the clutch or clutch overheating or shortening lifespan of the clutch. Brilliant when you're d**king around in traffic, which is often enough during rush hour.

Edited by DK3410

I am driving the new camry for a month now. Very refine engine and the drive is so smooth n quiet. Enjoying every minute of it. The 8 gen camry also looks very sporty. M6 Road noise still high and its design is dated IMHO.

↡ Advertisement