Soft drinks also wanna tax?

ChaosMyth

SINGAPORE - Singapore may well become the first country in the world to ban the sale of packaged drinks with high sugar content.

This is one of the moves the Ministry of Health (MOH) is contemplating in its efforts to cut the high sugar intake of people here, as it is a major factor for obesity and diabetes.

The MOH and the Health Promotion Board are asking people for their views on four measures to cut sugar intake from drinks, which include 3-in-1 mixes, cordials, yogurt drinks, fruit juices and soda drinks.

The target is on drinks as they account for more than half the 12 teaspoons of sugar people here take each day. One in four sugar-sweetened beverages contains 5.5 teaspoons of sugar or more.

The four measures the MOH wants public feedback on are:

- Total ban on pre-packed high-sugar drinks

- Single or tiered tax on high-sugar drinks

- Mandatory front-of-pack labelling on sugar/nutrition content

- Ban on advertisements on all platforms for high-sugar drinks, including social media and on buses

Singapore already does not allow the sale of high-sugar drinks in schools and on government premises.

Many companies also refrain from advertising high-sugar drinks during the hours when children are more likely to be watching television.

There is also the Healthier Choice Symbol to identify healthier drinks. But this, too, is voluntary.

The public consultation is to gauge people's reactions to pushing these boundaries further.

In a press statement, the MOH said that every 250ml of sugar-sweetened beverages daily raises a person's risk of getting diabetes by 18 per cent to 26 per cent. This is from various studies, so the amount of sugar in the drink was not indicated.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) encourages people to take as little sugar as possible as "nutritionally, people do not need any sugar in their diet".

It said reducing sugar intake to 25g a day would provide health benefits. This is equal to five teaspoons as measured in Singapore, but six teaspoons according to the WHO.

Experts The Straits Times spoke to all agreed that a total ban on high-sugar drinks would be the most effective, but also the least politically palatable measure.

Professor Teo Yik Ying, dean of the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, said the four measures are not mutually exclusive and together, are "very much in the right direction". He added that any reduction in sugar intake will directly translate to health benefits.

Both he and Professor Eric Finkelstein of the Duke-NUS Medical School agree that packaged fruit juices, even those with no added sugar, should not be exempt.

Prof Finkelstein said sugar is sugar, adding that the narrower the tax, the less effective it is as people can still have other high-calorie drinks as substitutes.

Dr Kalpana Bhaskaran, a glycaemic expert from Temasek Polytechnic, said a 330ml can of soda and one of apple juice have about 36g of sugar each.

Ms Gladys Wong, a senior principal dietitian at the Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, thinks the suggested measures do not go far enough.

She said: "There must be a fair way to tax the freshly prepared beverage outlets, not just the pre-packaged drinks."

Professor Rob van Dam, an epidemiologist at the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, said high sugar content in drinks adds calories but does not make people feel full, so it is worse than sugar in food.

He said a study in Mexico estimated that a 20 per cent reduction in sugar would reduce obesity by 12.5 per cent.

Being overweight or being obese are key risk factors for diabetes, heart attacks, stroke and some cancers, he added.

The public can give feedback at www.reach.gov.sg/sugarydrinks or e-mail [email protected] from now till Jan 25 next year.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

SINGAPORE - Singapore may well become the first country in the world to ban the sale of packaged drinks with high sugar content.

This is one of the moves the Ministry of Health (MOH) is contemplating in its efforts to cut the high sugar intake of people here, as it is a major factor for obesity and diabetes.

The MOH and the Health Promotion Board are asking people for their views on four measures to cut sugar intake from drinks, which include 3-in-1 mixes, cordials, yogurt drinks, fruit juices and soda drinks.

The target is on drinks as they account for more than half the 12 teaspoons of sugar people here take each day. One in four sugar-sweetened beverages contains 5.5 teaspoons of sugar or more.

The four measures the MOH wants public feedback on are:

- Total ban on pre-packed high-sugar drinks

- Single or tiered tax on high-sugar drinks

- Mandatory front-of-pack labelling on sugar/nutrition content

- Ban on advertisements on all platforms for high-sugar drinks, including social media and on buses

Singapore already does not allow the sale of high-sugar drinks in schools and on government premises.

Many companies also refrain from advertising high-sugar drinks during the hours when children are more likely to be watching television.

There is also the Healthier Choice Symbol to identify healthier drinks. But this, too, is voluntary.

The public consultation is to gauge people's reactions to pushing these boundaries further.

In a press statement, the MOH said that every 250ml of sugar-sweetened beverages daily raises a person's risk of getting diabetes by 18 per cent to 26 per cent. This is from various studies, so the amount of sugar in the drink was not indicated.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) encourages people to take as little sugar as possible as "nutritionally, people do not need any sugar in their diet".

It said reducing sugar intake to 25g a day would provide health benefits. This is equal to five teaspoons as measured in Singapore, but six teaspoons according to the WHO.

Experts The Straits Times spoke to all agreed that a total ban on high-sugar drinks would be the most effective, but also the least politically palatable measure.

Professor Teo Yik Ying, dean of the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, said the four measures are not mutually exclusive and together, are "very much in the right direction". He added that any reduction in sugar intake will directly translate to health benefits.

Both he and Professor Eric Finkelstein of the Duke-NUS Medical School agree that packaged fruit juices, even those with no added sugar, should not be exempt.

Prof Finkelstein said sugar is sugar, adding that the narrower the tax, the less effective it is as people can still have other high-calorie drinks as substitutes.

Dr Kalpana Bhaskaran, a glycaemic expert from Temasek Polytechnic, said a 330ml can of soda and one of apple juice have about 36g of sugar each.

Ms Gladys Wong, a senior principal dietitian at the Khoo Teck Puat Hospital, thinks the suggested measures do not go far enough.

She said: "There must be a fair way to tax the freshly prepared beverage outlets, not just the pre-packaged drinks."

Professor Rob van Dam, an epidemiologist at the Saw Swee Hock School of Public Health, said high sugar content in drinks adds calories but does not make people feel full, so it is worse than sugar in food.

He said a study in Mexico estimated that a 20 per cent reduction in sugar would reduce obesity by 12.5 per cent.

Being overweight or being obese are key risk factors for diabetes, heart attacks, stroke and some cancers, he added.

The public can give feedback at www.reach.gov.sg/sugarydrinks or e-mail [email protected] from now till Jan 25 next year.

Basket, then those who got low blood pressure which need to take more sugar when they encountered blood pressure low how huh?

I do feel dizzy sometime and a soft drink or a sweet will solve the problem. Now I need to pay more to solve the problem?

• Praise 2

Twincharged

next they will want to either ban or tax seafood.... then durians ... then bread.

why not just tell everyone to take those sodium drips at home instead ? don't eat, don't drink .... no problem !

• Praise 2

I used to love drinking ice cold teh peng

But after seeing the amount of condensed milk they put.. could easily be drinking a full can weekly.

• Praise 3

i feel it's worth it

in the long term, diabetes would  be reaching epidemic proportions liao

and the chronic manifestation is systemic

best to start some where and knowing PAP style, $$$ 

hahhaha

• Praise 2

Whoa....old news.

When they declare war on diabetes they wanted to tax sugar related drinks but so far talk only. Cos I think when it comes to f&b a lot of edible stuff also contain a lot of sugar not just beverages. Things like donut. They cant declare war with crispy creme or dunkin donuts or f&n or Coke. Kinda sensitive to these businesses. That's why until now still talking.

They have to give ppl time to make adjustment to replace white sugar with maybe brown or less processed sugar or sugar substitute. Outright ban is very unreasonable. Must give ppl time.

Edited by Watwheels

The problem is, government want to control our life. This is no good as individual person should control their own life. The things they do, they will face the consequences. Government should get out of the way and not be control freak.

• Praise 2

Many ppl when interviewed are reluctant to make change especially to their diet. Especially those in the minority communities. Their diet which consist of curry(coconut milk) and chili (chili on its own is bitter, lots of sugar is added to make it sweet).

I also think it's a challenge for the minority communities. The food will not taste good anymore if they were to use other substitute. I have ppl telling me chili is good for me. I dont want to argue and say much. It's difficult to change the mindset.

The only time I drink soft drinks is when I buy meals at Fast Food restaurants. Please don't raise my macnonner meal.

• Praise 1

Many ppl when interviewed are reluctant to make change especially to their diet. Especially those in the minority communities. Their diet which consist of curry(coconut milk) and chili (chili on its own is bitter, lots of sugar is added to make it sweet).

I also think it's a challenge for the minority communities. The food will not taste good anymore if they were to use other substitute. I have ppl telling me chili is good for me. I dont want to argue and say much. It's difficult to change the mindset.

That is the path they took, so they should bare the consequences and blame no one. Government just should not control until like that, as end of the day its people decision to do certain things. As long as the things they do, do not harm other people, they should be free to decide what they want.

That is the path they took, so they should bare the consequences and blame no one. Government just should not control until like that, as end of the day its people decision to do certain things. As long as the things they do, do not harm other people, they should be free to decide what they want.

You do not see the bigger picture. The majority of ppl suffering from type 2 diabetes are mostly ppl from the minority communities precisely the root cause is their diet. It's costing the country a lot of money becos subsidies are given to these ppl. If not controlled we may have to pay more tax to the govt to tackle the issue. Dont be myopic and think it's what govt wants. If this sh!t really spiral out of control it benefits no one. It does do more harm dan good.

• Praise 1
  • Dislike 1

G: We ban sugar!

P: Don't be crazy lah.

G: Ok we levy tax instead.

Yeah.....! Thank you so much

Tax me tax me tax me .....

The sugar is so mind boggling

Sugar is pure evil.

If you do not believe sugar is poison you can do a simple experiment on your own.

Just stay away from anything sweet for a week. Things like sweet drinks, pastry and bread, desserts and ice cream. You don't have to exercise and you will lose weight in a week or two.

If you look at the human organ called pancreas. It's very small becos throughout the human evolution Man's diet do not have so much sugar hence it does not have a huge pancreas to produce hormone to breakdown the sugar levels in the blood. It's only in recent history that the sugar levels in our diet had spiked significantly. Our body cannot cope.

• Praise 1

Before we talk about minority customs which are unhealthy, please address one very prevalent majority custom which is just as unhealthy, if not more so. I'm talking about burnt offerings. At least food only directly affects the eater directly. The smoke from burning spreads far and wide.

Yes, mindsets are difficult to change all around, aren't they?

If you do not believe sugar is poison you can do a simple experiment on your own.

Just stay away from anything sweet for a week. Things like sweet drinks, pastry and bread, desserts and ice cream. You don't have to exercise and you will lose weight in a week or two.

If you look at the human organ called pancreas. It's very small becos throughout the human evolution Man's diet do not have so much sugar hence it does not have a huge pancreas to produce hormone to breakdown the sugar levels in the blood. It's only in recent history that the sugar levels in our diet had spiked significantly. Our body cannot cope.

I have cut sugar intake for more than 10yrs. Minimal intake, people gave the weird look when I decline orders for desserts.

But still take natural sweet atuff from fruits and carbohydrates from staple food.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2