Lazy eyes

Fishy

Hi, wish to know if lazy eyes can be cured for children around 9years old. Appreciate inputs thank you

↑ Advertisement

Hi, wish to know if lazy eyes can be cured for children around 9years old. Appreciate inputs thank you

I no expert but can be cured. The kid will wear something to force the lazy eye to see
  • Praise 4

Turbocharged

At 9 years might be late.. That was what the doc at eye centre told me.

Need to start remediation early.

Putting eye patch and exercising the eye..

Β 

My kid is now over 9 years I still make her do the exercise.

• Praise 1

Just ensure kids don’t lay down on one side and use hp or tab or watch tv. Naturally eyes will auto correct after a while but may not be perfectly the same...close enough is good enough.

Β 

Scare them...their eyes will become one very big one very small like cartoon and headaches like no tomorrow if they don’t heed your advice.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Just ensure kids donΓ’t lay down on one side and use hp or tab or watch tv. Naturally eyes will auto correct after a while but may not be perfectly the same...close enough is good enough.

Β 

Scare them...their eyes will become one very big one very small like cartoon and headaches like no tomorrow if they donΓ’t heed your advice.

My understanding is the lazy one will continue to become lazy until one day on serious cases it stops working anymore... i.e. blind

Β 

Exercising is important to make sure the lazy one work.

Lying down on one side.. Franky speaking, I don't remember the doc told us that..

My understanding is the lazy one will continue to become lazy until one day on serious cases it stops working anymore... i.e. blind

Β 

Exercising is important to make sure the lazy one work.

Lying down on one side.. Franky speaking, I don't remember the doc told us that..

I was told by the optician about that when my two kids had lazy eyes when they were younger like TS case. They are now with eyes of 25 and 50 difference.

Β 

My boy tried those corrective plastic spectacle available at Popular bookstores for a month...my girl fared better without trying it

Turbocharged

I was told by the optician about that when my two kids had lazy eyes when they were younger like TS case. They are now with eyes of 25 and 50 difference.

Β 

My boy tried those corrective plastic spectacle available at Popular bookstores for a month...my girl fared better without trying itΓ°

Your kids recovered naturally?

Dunno leh... Thought lazy eye need intervention one.

Β 

But yes.. Lying on one side or wrong posture definitely need to be corrected.

Does he need to visit an optician or an eye doc to do the patching? I read that chances of recovery is lower for his age but it might be worth a chance since patching is a Low cost effort.

Go to the national eye centre. My older kid had that when she was in primary school. Corrective glasses didn't really work but the eye doctor gave very detailed training instructions, with some picture cards to be used for my kid to re-train her lazy eye. It took a long time of doing the eye exercises about 30 mins a day every day and it was fixed only after 1+ years. There is no quick fix

Go to the national eye centre. My older kid had that when she was in primary school. Corrective glasses didn't really work but the eye doctor gave very detailed training instructions, with some picture cards to be used for my kid to re-train her lazy eye. It took a long time of doing the eye exercises about 30 mins a day every day and it was fixed only after 1+ years. There is no quick fix

Thanks Loki. How old was she when she visited the national eye center? Did you just walk in or got referral from polyclinic or something?

Β 

Bro, the first thing you have to do is to get out of this forum and get an opinion from a real eye doctor.

Β 

Lazy eyes aka amblyopia is treatable, but only when the child is small. A 9 years old is a bit borderline, but no harm.

Β 

As others have said, there's no quick fix. The doctor will give you the real advice on treatment options. You can google for them, but I strongly suggest you get a consult ASAP and get it sorted. Time is not on your side.

Β 

In private, peadiatric eye doctors include Dr Pauline Cheong, Dr Inez Wong

Β 

In public hospitals, you can get subsidised care at NUH, SNEC and others.

Β 

Dr Cheryl Ngo in NUH, or Dr Sonal in SNEC.Β 

Β 

All the best.Β 

• Praise 2

Thanks Loki. How old was she when she visited the national eye center? Did you just walk in or got referral from polyclinic or something?

Think she was about 9 or 10 yrs old already. I got a referral from the school health services which picked up the problem when they came to her school to do a health check up on the students. I suppose you can go to a polyclinic to get a referral. Good luck

Bro, the first thing you have to do is to get out of this forum and get an opinion from a real eye doctor.

Β 

Lazy eyes aka amblyopia is treatable, but only when the child is small. A 9 years old is a bit borderline, but no harm.

Β 

As others have said, there's no quick fix. The doctor will give you the real advice on treatment options. You can google for them, but I strongly suggest you get a consult ASAP and get it sorted. Time is not on your side.

Β 

In private, peadiatric eye doctors include Dr Pauline Cheong, Dr Inez Wong

Β 

In public hospitals, you can get subsidised care at NUH, SNEC and others.

Β 

Dr Cheryl Ngo in NUH, or Dr Sonal in SNEC.

Β 

All the best.

Agree with you. Wife already planned last week to bring boy to the doc on Monday. Just wish to know more by coming here to ask for experiences from fellow members.
  • Praise 1

My wife has lazy eyes. One side 300+ degrees and the other side is 600+ degrees. Hers is not curable already, just have to live with it. She has no problem going about her everyday life. Only thing is her lens is expensive.

• Praise 1

lazy eyes can be cured, best is before puberty or at young age like 9.

Β 

My left eye is a lazy eye, it react slowly as compare to the right.

Β 

Once you exceed certain age, its kinda irreversible.Β 

• Praise 1

Your kids recovered naturally?

Dunno leh... Thought lazy eye need intervention one.

Β 

But yes.. Lying on one side or wrong posture definitely need to be corrected.

Yah maybe the scare tactic has helped...Their left and right eyes myopia difference reduced to 25 and 50 from 100-150 before for them over time.

Think she was about 9 or 10 yrs old already. I got a referral from the school health services which picked up the problem when they came to her school to do a health check up on the students. I suppose you can go to a polyclinic to get a referral. Good luck

Even if it's not via school, he can still get referral via polyclinic.

It'll be much cheaper going this route then going direct to eye centre or kk

↑ Advertisement