Lazy eyes

Fishy

Even if it's not via school, he can still get referral via polyclinic.

It'll be much cheaper going this route then going direct to eye centre or kk

Visited a polyclinic for referral. The appointment date they gave us 4 months away in KK!!

Β 

Any good eye doctor to recommend??

↑ Advertisement

I’m sure they have early slots or are you asking for school holidays?

I listed some doctors above.

Most subsidized clinics are required to give appointments within 60 days.

IΓ’m sure they have early slots or are you asking for school holidays?

I listed some doctors above.

Most subsidized clinics are required to give appointments within 60 days.

I didn’t ask for holiday. The appointment they gave is a school day.

Visited a polyclinic for referral. The appointment date they gave us 4 months away in KK!!

Β 

Any good eye doctor to recommend??

Wow.. don't remember it was that long.

We just used the doc assigned, didn't specify any in particular.

Don't think gov subsidised allow selection of doc.

Β 

Anyway, I believe it'll be similar advice, unless it's an unique or complicated case.

Internal Moderator

I used to have lazy eye also when I was about 8-9 year old ---> sometimes my left eye go left side while the right eye looking straight, or vice versa.

Β 

Doctor advised me to do exercise: stretch your arm away with pointer finger up at eye-level, centre of your FOV, then slowly move nearer in between your eyes until you ζ–—ιΈ‘ηœΌ, then slowly move outward and repeat for about 10 times.

Β 

Do it 4-5 times a day for don't know how many weeks or months, then my lazy eye become "controllable" now, which means I can feel when it happens, I can control it to happen on any of my eyes. Not sure if it's considered fully recovered or not haha. [:p]

https://bjo.bmj.com/content/102/11/1492?utm_source=marketing_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=bjo&utm_content=monthly&utm_term=december

Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

Amblyopia therapy options have traditionally been limited to penalisation of the non-amblyopic eye with either patching or pharmaceutical penalisation. Solid evidence, mostly from the Pediatric Eye Disease Investigator Group, has validated both number of hours a day of patching and days per week of atropine use. The use of glasses alone has also been established as a good first-line therapy for both anisometropic and strabismic amblyopia. Unfortunately, visual acuity equalisation or even improvement is not always attainable with these methods. Additionally, non-compliance with prescribed therapies contributes to treatment failures, with data supporting difficulty adhering to full treatment sessions.Β Interest in alternative therapies for amblyopia treatment has long been a topic of interest among researchers and clinicians alike. Incorporating new technology with an understanding of the biological basis of amblyopia has led to enthusiasm for binocular treatment of amblyopia. Early work on perceptual learning as well as more recent enthusiasm for iPad-based dichoptic training have each generated interesting and promising data for vision improvement in amblyopes. Use of pharmaceutical augmentation of traditional therapies has also been investigated. Several different drugs with unique mechanisms of action are thought to be able to neurosensitise the brain and enhance responsiveness to amblyopia therapy.Β No new treatment has emerged from currently available evidence as superior to the traditional therapies in common practice today. But ongoing investigation into the use of both new technology and the understanding of the neural basis of amblyopia promises alternate or perhaps better cures in the future.

Β 

I used to have lazy eye also when I was about 8-9 year old ---> sometimes my left eye go left side while the right eye looking straight, or vice versa.

Β 

Doctor advised me to do exercise: stretch your arm away with pointer finger up at eye-level, centre of your FOV, then slowly move nearer in between your eyes until you ζ–—ιΈ‘ηœΌ, then slowly move outward and repeat for about 10 times.

Β 

Do it 4-5 times a day for don't know how many weeks or months, then my lazy eye become "controllable" now, which means I can feel when it happens, I can control it to happen on any of my eyes. Not sure if it's considered fully recovered or not haha. [:p]

Β 

Β 

That was what the SNEC doctor made my kid do.Β  She was given a card with a picture of a cat on it - but the picture was "split" into two, i.e. two halves of the cat with some space in between.Β  My kid was supposed to put the card at arms length, look at the picture, slowly bring it closer until the 2 halves merged and she saw the cat in full.Β  Then hold that gaze for about 30 secs and repeat.Β Β 

Edited by Loki
  • Praise 2

Amblyopia is Not treated with surgery

for kids, see a Peadiatric ophthalmologistΒ 

KKH, NUH and SNEC have good ones

or Inez Wong and Cheryl Ngo in private

Β 

Edited by therock
  • Praise 1

On 2/27/2023 at 1:38 PM, franckiescos said:

We're canvassing for a good ophthalmologist. Has anyone seen Steve Seah for lazy eye treatment? Or was recommended surgery for lazy eye?

I think you get a general consultation first and then get a referral.Β 

Some doctors appear on google more oftenΒ 

the question is whether they are famous, paid for it or sometimes both

do check

BTW Steve Seah is famous, but I don’t think he is famous for lazy eye..

Β