Shd F&B eateries charge cakeage for bringing own cake?

BabyBlade

10 members have voted

1. 1. Would you pay the cakeage fee? Let's say it's anything from $15 to $40 of extra fee

• Yes
    • Eat there but cut the cake elsewhere
    • I'll take my dining + celebrations elsewhere
    • What's cakeage???? Ridiculous

Internal Moderator

post-107101-0-40974900-1544432987_thumb.jpg

post-107101-0-31186200-1544433058_thumb.jpg

Post: https://mothership.sg/2018/12/cake-cutting-ieatishootipost-leslie-tay-singapore/?fbclid=IwAR3FfG0ZyBVQGryIq_XHe-Q6yMro33bWPZrnOoBWQJe9DFZ5x_vIpFmB2Zc

So far I've brought birthday cakes to numerous restaurants and yet to be charged for cakeage. The only thing to take note is for halal joints, ensure cake bought externally is from a halal certified bakery. Certain restaurants/cafes selling their own cakes may not allow outside cakes to be brought in as well since it affects their revenue.

So... Should customers be charged for bringing in a cake to celebrate after dinner? After all, this means having to provide you with extra plates, fork, and probably an extra 30 mins you'll be spending at their restaurants (possibly affecting their turnover) etc?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

depends what type of restaurant or cafe, if the place is also selling cakes then you shouldn't bring your own, or you should at least ask before making reservation.

• Praise 2

No, i totally disagree with this way of doing things....

PUTIEN staff actually sings happy birthday song for my kid and even have a polaroid camera to help us take a family photo..

and their food is very nice to my palate... and not very expensive... 1* michelin.

next time also can charge waterage for bringing own water bottles

mcf can also charge postage for every post

Edited by Enye

yes. it's their establishment, so their rules. 

But this fee for a cake, is quite ridiculous.

Ridiculous or not maybe depends on whether they themselves sell cake.

Ridiculous or not maybe depends on whether they themselves sell cake.

I've celebrated the last 3 of my kids birthday at a F&B outlet with our immediate family with our own cake.

They sell their own cakes, they also don't make noise.

Well ... maybe if the place is doing a rip roaring business, then they will charge a cakeage fee... But honestly, it's not even something i would bother to ask when booking a venue. 

I think it's up to the restaurant cos they are the ones providing the cutlery and the staff providing the service to clean up and wash too. It's service after all. If they want to charge for such service I think it's reasonable, I'm not expecting foc. Unless cake is from the restaurant.

• Praise 1

No, i totally disagree with this way of doing things....

PUTIEN staff actually sings happy birthday song for my kid and even have a polaroid camera to help us take a family photo..

and their food is very nice to my palate... and not very expensive... 1* michelin.

Maybe this is called good service?! Lol.

I think it is a privilege, not an entitlement. Just that people have gotten used to it and they just assume EVERY restaurant will allow it. I think it is only courtesy that one should inform beforehand that its a celebration and guest will bring their own cake. 

Funny why some people are so offended ..... is the same for wine corkage. 

Remember, the eateries are the ONES allowing guests to bring cake and wine. Whatever conditions they impose, its THEIR business. They won't fail just because a small group of guests expects to eat their OWN cake. 

What's next, bring own eggs ah ?  [laugh]

Edited by Othello
  • Praise 1

Which restaurant is this ??

Once one restaurant starts charging others will follow suit .....

Singapore everything is monkey see monkey do 1

Anyway most food courts or kopitiams already put no outside food allowed

Just like one bank started charging for Cheques above 20 or 30 a month others will follow suit

• Praise 4

After all, this means having to provide you with extra plates, fork, and probably an extra 30 mins you'll be spending at their restaurants (possibly affecting their turnover) etc?

on this, half a year back my family went to this restaurant where we had a reservation. But because of the cake cutting and etc, we had to wait about 20-25mins for the previous guests to leave