• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
30 replies to this topic | 50 praises

Posted 02 January 2019 - 10:27 PM

ismailmiller
  • ismailmiller
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi,

I'm driving a Toyota Altis Elegance 2008 model ZRE141R with Dual VVTI.

I have been having acceleration issue since I bought my car around a year ago. Found out that my car rims were 17 inch {225/45/17}. Went to Borneo Motors to try to resolve it and seems like they found my car in good condition. They recommended me to downgrade back to original rims which is 15 inch. I noticed the acceleration issue occurred after I changed from PS3 tire to Yokohama Blue Earth AE50.

I have already tried decarbonizing, engine cleaning and throttle valve cleaning but seems the issue resurface after a while again. This issue was slightly improved after filling 2 tanks of V power consecutively but I think in the long run it wouldnt solve this problem.

I am thinking of a few options.

1) Downgrade back to 15 inch tires which mostly likely restore some power back to the car.
2) Downgrade back to 16 inch.
3) Keep my 17 inch rims, instead change tires to Michelin PS4S Or Primacy to improve pickup
4) Do ECU Reflashing to try change and tune the engine to correct the problem. The previous owner installed a voltage stabiliser which I am not sure why, so I'm not sure if this is related.

Any advices from my experienced Bros?

Posted 02 January 2019 - 11:51 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

What kind of acceleration issue?

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:33 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi,

I have been having acceleration issue since I bought my car around a year ago. Found out that my car rims were 17 inch {225/45/17}. Went to Borneo Motors to try to resolve it and seems like they found my car in good condition. They recommended me to downgrade back to original rims which is 15 inch. I noticed the acceleration issue occurred after I changed from PS3 tire to Yokohama Blue Earth AE50.

I have already tried decarbonizing, engine cleaning and throttle valve cleaning but seems the issue resurface after a while again. This issue was slightly improved after filling 2 tanks of V power consecutively but I think in the long run it wouldnt solve this problem.

1) Downgrade back to 15 inch tires which mostly likely restore some power back to the car.
3) Keep my 17 inch rims, instead change tires to Michelin PS4S Or Primacy to improve pickup
4) Do ECU Reflashing to try change and tune the engine to correct the problem. The previous owner installed a voltage stabiliser which I am not sure why, so I'm not sure if this is related.

reading your post, looks like you think you have an acceleration issue - not fast enough. why do you think it is an issue?

You said you had the issue since you bought the car, but then you also said the "issue" occurred after you changed the tyres, so more precisely  which is which?  If it is a tyre issues, then why would you want to downgrade the rim size?  I have an old Altis too, i never expect the car to run fast.

Edited by Ct3833, 03 January 2019 - 12:33 AM.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 01:57 PM

ismailmiller
  • ismailmiller
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I am having sluggish acceleration, example when I want to accelerate from 0-40, the RPM will goes all the way from 2.5 to 3k. It is not smooth.

With regards to when I noticed this issue, I noticed I had this issue mainly a month after replacing my old PS3 tires to the Yoko AE50 tires. All this problems started. Previously when I started using this car, the acceleration was normal. 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:30 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I am having sluggish acceleration, example when I want to accelerate from 0-40, the RPM will goes all the way from 2.5 to 3k. It is not smooth.

With regards to when I noticed this issue, I noticed I had this issue mainly a month after replacing my old PS3 tires to the Yoko AE50 tires. All this problems started. Previously when I started using this car, the acceleration was normal.

What do you mean by not smooth from 2.5 to 3k rpm ? The car jerk or the rpm jump but the car did not accelerate ?

Edited by Ct3833, 03 January 2019 - 02:31 PM.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:52 PM

Ichibawa
  • Premium member
    Ichibawa
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Seems like the only variable is your tires. Just change back to a PS3 then you should get your car back.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:05 PM

ismailmiller
  • ismailmiller
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

What do you mean by not smooth from 2.5 to 3k rpm ? The car jerk or the rpm jump but the car did not accelerate ?

It hesitated and did not accelerate for another 1 or 2 secs even when i pressed more on the accelerator pedal

I think my question here is whether is it possible that the change from Performance Tires to Touring Tires (Yokohama AE50) can cause these kind of acceleration issues? Or should I be looking at rim size (I do believe it is possible as stock is 15, compared to current one which is 17). 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:39 PM

Hope_n_pray
  • Premium member
    Hope_n_pray
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Are you sure tires can really affect acceleration like that? Sluggish acceleration should be more of engine/gearbox/throttle no?

Buadongdong praised this

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:42 PM

Beregond
  • Premium member
    Beregond
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

So to put it simple in layman term.
U feel that your car when equip with 17' rims n tyres pick up from 0 is slower la?
When compare with 15 ' setup.
Quite normal ma.

If u feel yokohama pick up slower.
Maybe can try pump abit more air

Edited by Beregond, 03 January 2019 - 03:43 PM.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:45 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

It hesitated and did not accelerate for another 1 or 2 secs even when i pressed more on the accelerator pedal

I think my question here is whether is it possible that the change from Performance Tires to Touring Tires (Yokohama AE50) can cause these kind of acceleration issues? Or should I be looking at rim size (I do believe it is possible as stock is 15, compared to current one which is 17). 

I does not look like a tyres or rim size issue.

can you describe a bit more, what do you mean by hesitated.for example:

1. you step on the accelerator,  the RPM went up immediately from 2500 to 3000rpm, but the car  did not accelerate until 1 to 2 second later.

2. you step on the accelerator, the RPM did not change until 1 to 2 second later. and once RPM shot up, the car will accelerate . 

or other scenario? 

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:03 PM

Kklee
  • Kklee
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Hi,

IMHO.

Michelin PS3 and Yokohama AE50 may have different load index and speed rating.  

PS3 could be 91W where as AE50 could be 94W.

Tyre pressure can affect acceleration.  What's the present pressure?

Does your tyre squeak when going up MSCP or in covered carpark?

Is the voltage stabilizer still installed?    Voltage stabilizer could mask battery issue.   If the battery is weak, the alternator works harder and performance may be affected.

Suggestion is to check on tyre pressure based on load index on the tyre placard found near the driver door. 

Also check the battery condition. 

V-Power, de-carbon and throttle-clean may show improvement - the ECU will normalize and everything will be back to "normal'.

P.S.  I drive Toyota Altis 2014,  

Posted 03 January 2019 - 09:28 PM

ismailmiller
  • ismailmiller
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

IMHO.
Michelin PS3 and Yokohama AE50 may have different load index and speed rating.
PS3 could be 91W where as AE50 could be 94W.
Tyre pressure can affect acceleration. What's the present pressure?
Does your tyre squeak when going up MSCP or in covered carpark?

Is the voltage stabilizer still installed? Voltage stabilizer could mask battery issue. If the battery is weak, the alternator works harder and performance may be affected.

Suggestion is to check on tyre pressure based on load index on the tyre placard found near the driver door.
Also check the battery condition.

V-Power, de-carbon and throttle-clean may show improvement - the ECU will normalize and everything will be back to "normal'.

P.S. I drive Toyota Altis 2014,

My AE50 tires is 94W Extra Load.

Door Placard: Car Tire Size 195/65/R15 91H and recommended PSI 210 Front and Back.

Current Tire Pressure 240PSI

Tire squeal at times but usually when going through humps.

Voltage Stabiliser installed but I turned it off. My battery was replaced when I bought this car back in August 2017.

Posted 03 January 2019 - 10:04 PM

Kklee
  • Kklee
    6th Gear
    Author Image

My AE50 tires is 94W Extra Load.

Door Placard: Car Tire Size 195/65/R15 91H and recommended PSI 210 Front and Back.

Current Tire Pressure 240PSI

Tire squeal at times but usually when going through humps.

Voltage Stabiliser installed but I turned it off. My battery was replaced when I bought this car back in August 2017.

I take reference from the 2014 Owner's manual

195/65R15 91H - 210/210

205/55R16 91V - 220/210

215/45R17 91V - 220/220

Suggestions,

Tyre pressure - perhaps lower it to 220 and test at night to see if the issue goes away. 

The voltage stabilizer - remove it.

The battery - consider to change. 

If the tyre squeal,  it means it is losing traction.   It is more noticeable when the contact areas are painted e.g. humps, direction signs on the ground, or smooth cement carpark floor.

The tyre pressure will determine the contact patch i.e. if the pressure is increased, the contact patch is smaller.

The load index also affects the contact patch.

At the same pressure,  94W is expecting more load to support because the weight of the car is fixed, it will likely not get "pressed" down enough for the optimal contact patch.

IMHO,  in your scenario,  it could be a tyre pressure issue or battery issue. 

When I switch from PS3 (91v) to PS4 (94w),  I could not run with the same pressure.

I can't recall if that affected acceleration.

On the battery,   the condition of the battery will affect the accelerator pedal input.

Just like the other day,  I topped up the battery water,  I can feel the throttle become more response even on a hot day.

HTH.

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

Roberttan
  • Roberttan
    5th Gear
    Author Image

just MHO

if you have this issue only after 1 month you replaced the same size tire from PS3 to Ae50, I am don't think is tire or wheels size.

charging to standard 15 inch wheels and tire will definitely help to improve acceleration and fuel consumption.

( please note I do not advice you to down size to 15 inch)

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:38 AM

Buadongdong
  • Premium member
    Buadongdong
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Hi,

When is the last spark plug change? It could be due to worn plugs not igniting properly. Also, try caltex 98. It helps a lot for my vehicle (not altis) and its a lot cheaper than v power nitro+

Carbon82 praised this

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:37 AM

Yexiang
  • Yexiang
    Clutched
    Author Image

I does not look like a tyres or rim size issue.

can you describe a bit more, what do you mean by hesitated.for example:
1. you step on the accelerator, the RPM went up immediately from 2500 to 3000rpm, but the car did not accelerate until 1 to 2 second later.
2. you step on the accelerator, the RPM did not change until 1 to 2 second later. and once RPM shot up, the car will accelerate .

or other scenario?

I think thread starter can answer the 2 questions posted.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:05 PM

ismailmiller
  • ismailmiller
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I changed the tire PSI To 220. Feels the same. My last pump was 98 at Caltex. Spark Plugs changed during last servicing.
Whne my current speed is 40km/h I hit the accelerator.. The car jerks and hesitates for about 1 second before RPM shoot ups to 2.5-3k and engine roars.

I Checked with my Mechanic. Battery problem won't affect acceleration. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my car 02 sensor though.. Can't Think if anything else or its a common altis problem

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:26 PM

ER-3682
  • Premium member
    ER-3682
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

I changed the tire PSI To 220. Feels the same. My last pump was 98 at Caltex. Spark Plugs changed during last servicing.
Whne my current speed is 40km/h I hit the accelerator.. The car jerks and hesitates for about 1 second before RPM shoot ups to 2.5-3k and engine roars.

I Checked with my Mechanic. Battery problem won't affect acceleration. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with my car 02 sensor though.. Can't Think if anything else or its a common altis problem

Fuel Filter change before.?

Mazda 6..2.5.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:27 PM

ismailmiller
  • ismailmiller
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Fuel Filter change before.?

Yes fuel filter changed even before I sent my car to Borneo Motors for servicing.

Posted 05 January 2019 - 09:32 PM

lausai88
  • Premium member
    lausai88
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Mr Google says:

What would cause a car to hesitate on acceleration?
If a fuel pump cannot provide the correct pressure, fuel may have difficulty making it to the engine. A vehicle that hesitates while accelerating or while driving up a hill may have a weak fuel pump. ... Dirty fuel injectors may cause the engine to run lean which will in turn, cause hesitation when accelerating.

Uncle2, Buadongdong and Carbon82 praised this

Back to Tyres and Rims  ·  Aftermarket Top Reply to this topic

Related user reviews on sgCarMart.com

Pro-Jex V2D Auto Pte Ltd

Pro-Jex V2D Auto Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by Kayaloti  |  3rd Gear

Received my free service voucher from MCF team and immediately called Vincent to make an appointment to have my car service.
My car was attended to immediately upon my arrival and mechanic was assigned to perform the work scope after instructions were passed down.
Voucher includes oil change, air-con rejuvenate and throttle body cleaning. All done within 1.5hr... » Read More

Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd

Dynamics Mechanic Pte Ltd  |  Rating   Submit Review

Reviewed by KTKOH  |  Neutral Newbie

Went to DM Woodlands on 4th April Sat Afternoon and saw a lot of cars there. All staff are busy but they still attend to my request to check my under carriage by hoisting up my car. They give me a quote and give an appointment on next Wed 10 am. I paid a deposit. When on Wed I send my car on 11.30 am. They call me at 8.30 pm and collect my car at 9 pm. I tested my car a... » Read More

Related Motor Directory search on sgCarMart.com : Power Enhancement

Quick Reply

Tags: toyota, corolla, altis, size and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users