Fake news or really facepalm SGSecure apps

Sdf4786k

http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/after-spate-one-star-reviews-sgsecure-app-suddenly-getting-awesome-five-star-reviews?xtor=CS3-61

Counter productive or counter terrorism ?

It seems like national servicemen are still being made to download the SGSecure mobile application.

The app was first launched in 2016 by the Ministry of Home Affairs to teach users about counter-terrorism and send alerts of major emergencies and terror incidents. It made the news in July 2017, after suffering a spate of one-star reviews.

It turned out the reviewers were national servicemen "forced" by their superiors to download the app, and allegedly faced punishment if they did not.

We are reluctant to say "forced", since the Ministry of Defence's explanation that soldiers should have the app downloaded on their phones made sense to us.
The app has since racked up more than 100,000 downloads, but more interestingly, the 1.5-star rating back then has improved to 2.6.

The number of five-star reviews, at over 400, is slowly catching up to the 600-plus one-star reviews.

In the last couple of days, wordy, 'heartfelt' reviews have appeared, indicating another round of backlash towards being ordered to download the app.

The strategy seems to have changed, from angry reviews to sarcastic ones.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

The strategy seems to have changed, from angry reviews to sarcastic ones.

I only hope terrorists will also similarly change their strategy.

Angry terrorists blow sh*t up.

Sarcastic terrorists write a note telling you why your sh*t is not worth blowing up.

:D

• Praise 4

So much wayang

The problem is, to gain respect cannot be use by force. These people at the top don't understand it.

Want to use by force can, it is only if it got to do with unreasonable people and or in life threatening situations.

So by forcing nsf to download SGSecure app is because of them (nsf) being unreasonable and or it will be life threatening if they don't download SGSecure app? No right? So what's the problem? The top people mindset.

Like for example, the top may have 1 set of thinking.. This approach is good, everyone below must follow. However all people beside the top people, thinking is what the.. This approach by the top makes no sense at all. So who is right and who is wrong? The top is right and the rest of the people is wrong? Maybe yes and maybe not. So what the top people could do is the think why the people below them think differently. Is it because of the app (for this case SGSecure app) really sucks? Is it because of this really not the suitable approach? And etc and then evaluate. And not because of only few people at top think it's good and then go from top down approach. This is no good. They will not gain people respect by doing so.

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 2

NSmen are always FORCED (to volunteer)

What's new ?

Somebody promotion likely tied to download numbers la.. i bet is somer fast track scholar.
  • Praise 1

If don't want to download the app then just say you got no data plan lah. Only can use wi-fi, what's the purpose of downloading when it's not functional most of the time ?

• Praise 1

The problem is, to gain respect cannot be use by force. These people at the top don't understand it.

Want to use by force can, it is only if it got to do with unreasonable people and or in life threatening situations.

So by forcing nsf to download SGSecure app is because of them (nsf) being unreasonable and or it will be life threatening if they don't download SGSecure app? No right? So what's the problem? The top people mindset.

Like for example, the top may have 1 set of thinking.. This approach is good, everyone below must follow. However all people beside the top people, thinking is what the.. This approach by the top makes no sense at all. So who is right and who is wrong? The top is right and the rest of the people is wrong? Maybe yes and maybe not. So what the top people could do is the think why the people below them think differently. Is it because of the app (for this case SGSecure app) really sucks? Is it because of this really not the suitable approach? And etc and then evaluate. And not because of only few people at top think it's good and then go from top down approach. This is no good. They will not gain people respect by doing so.

its not a matter of respect but trying to solve an image of a total failure of the apps. 

IF this is true, I cannot help by agreeing that the "deep-seated culture " come from somewhere that is very close to the heart and exhibited it in the SMRT.

For some reasons, I can't help but feel it is near, but where, I don't know. 

I always feel that on one hand we were warned and told to be wary of fake news. On the other hand, we are getting bombarded by such situation where the confusing signal wants to believe its fake news.

Probably its another social experiment to test us.

Perhaps we should use the SGSecure to see if this is true.

NSmen are always FORCED (to volunteer)

What's new ?

I doubt its force. There is no gun pointed at your head. You have a choice to disobey and face the consequence.

If don't want to download the app then just say you got no data plan lah. Only can use wi-fi, what's the purpose of downloading when it's not functional most of the time ?

I would have downloaded in a heartbeat IF there was a outbreak of a riot like the jurong coffee shop incident and it trigger an alert to tell people not to go to the coffeeshop becuase of gang crash.

That to me would be worth some points to have SGsecure app. Similar to flood / water ponding.

If there is an alert that is fast enough for me to change the course of my direction, it is worth the storage space on my phone.

Its so simple

Get the officers to "make" (I also don't like to use the word order)

the men download the app in front of them and then the officer

punch in 5 stars lah.

Wayang also don't know how to do properly.

Have to teach them to do wayang also.

:D

• Praise 2

If the top really want all people to have SGSecure app, then might as well tie up with all telco companies in Singapore. Such that we these people buy new phone, sign contract and etc and once the sim card is put inside these new phone, old phone and the SGSecure app will be automatically be installed and cannot be deleted. Like that it will be a default app in the phone. Like that no need waste people time to debate to download or not to download as end of the day it will be installed as default.

• Praise 1

(edited)

would have thot that went there is an Attack the police would be triggered ?

Else if u make the soldiers down load at least triggered a customised recall message to the handphone. That would get the soldiers interested. At least in a silent recall exercise every one is triggered at the same instance automatic.

The implementation of sgsecure needs to evolve. Not hype up to make it kept alive

Edited by Sdf4786k

its not a matter of respect but trying to solve an image of a total failure of the apps.

IF this is true, I cannot help by agreeing that the "deep-seated culture " come from somewhere that is very close to the heart and exhibited it in the SMRT.

For some reasons, I can't help but feel it is near, but where, I don't know.

I always feel that on one hand we were warned and told to be wary of fake news. On the other hand, we are getting bombarded by such situation where the confusing signal wants to believe its fake news.

Probably its another social experiment to test us.

Perhaps we should use the SGSecure to see if this is true.

I doubt its force. There is no gun pointed at your head. You have a choice to disobey and face the consequence.

I would have downloaded in a heartbeat IF there was a outbreak of a riot like the jurong coffee shop incident and it trigger an alert to tell people not to go to the coffeeshop becuase of gang crash.

That to me would be worth some points to have SGsecure app. Similar to flood / water ponding.

If there is an alert that is fast enough for me to change the course of my direction, it is worth the storage space on my phone.

Using app for timely update is pointless because even for those people with data plan, will not turn it on all the time.

The updates will come too late.

Unless future plan is to provide free public WiFi coverage all over ... but I don't think the telco would be happy

• Praise 1

Using app for timely update is pointless because even for those people with data plan, will not turn it on all the time.

The updates will come too late.

Unless future plan is to provide free public WiFi coverage all over ... but I don't think the telco would be happy

yup. But you can customize those to be turn on and those that do not need to turn on.

If its important enough and you do not turn it on, it will still be broadcast on the public media.

There will always be choice and consequence.

Turbocharged

I think our government has the resources to combine all the government app into ONE app.

I bet people will install that app if it can check cpf data, bus information, iras, primary school, sgsecure, myenv.

To me it is stupid and not secure to have multiple apps...

• Praise 3

IF this is true, I cannot help by agreeing that the "deep-seated culture " come from somewhere that is very close to the heart and exhibited it in the SMRT.

For some reasons, I can't help but feel it is near, but where, I don't know. 

Siang Kar Pager hahahah

• Praise 8

Reminds me of the NSF days when we were the NDP funpack packers. Burnt countless weekends due to unreasonable demands/officers - "Pack 30k funpacks before can book out." "Wah 30k pack so fast let's pack another 15k then book out."

In the end, mass revolt by spoiling the funpack items every now and then to vent our frustrations.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1