One million miles on a 2013 Hyundai Elantra

Adrianli

Ya I say itâs also bulls**t. Our taxi running double shift also canât hit 1M miles in 5years. There is also down time for repairs in the 5years.

I am not so sure. Cos Singapore is different from USA. Example is I heard many people from johore Bahru drive to work everyday to KL back and forth. So it's 500 km plus daily easily and it can be easily doubled if a person is delivering back and forth as part of the job.

Traffic lights all that should not be an issue but of cos the route should be examined (vast majority of trip on interstate only).

And Americans speed a lot....

As for the pic of the car, it might be a new one or cleaned up just for the perfect shot.

By the way, no offence to taxi drivers, but I think a large part of taxi driving is stopping at taxi stands or driving slowly looking for fares (apart from breaks). So it's not a fair comparison against someone just driving non stop in the expressway.

But I agree with another poster. It can't be good for her health.

Assuming the article is not BS.

All the while they have one million miles thing since long ago.

But read this.

http://www.seedebtrun.com/hyundai/

Never heard of this article before but my experience is Korean cars cannot go beyond 4-5 years before it needs a major repair. That's y I am now looking at a Honda city. Went to motor show just now. My target car in its target colour...

post-57859-0-67797000-1547184716_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Philipkee
  • Praise 2

Extracted from the article - Regular oil changes are key to a long-lasting engine.

Don't stinge on oil changes. Don;t need to buy expensive engine oil.

CarLube and Schnell that costs $20+ per 4 litres suffices & change engine oil on a more frequent basis like every 7,000km, instead of the regular 10,000km.

Original fuel filter and drain plug / washer from stockists costs only under $7.

Add labour , only $50 per oil change.

Edited by Vinceng

1 million miles = 1,600,000 km

Divide 5 years = 320,000 km per year

Divide 12 months = 26,666 km per month

Divide 30 days  = 888 km per day

Thats crazy

Never heard of this article before but my experience is Korean cars cannot go beyond 4-5 years before it needs a major repair. That's y I am now looking at a Honda city. Went to motor show just now. My target car in its target colour...

Those egoistic Kia owners are going to give you DISLIKE points for this  [laugh]

I am not so sure. Cos Singapore is different from USA. Example is I heard many people from johore Bahru drive to work everyday to KL back and forth. So it's 500 km plus daily easily and it can be easily doubled if a person is delivering back and forth as part of the job.

Traffic lights all that should not be an issue but of cos the route should be examined (vast majority of trip on interstate only).

As for the pic of the car, it might be a new one or cleaned up just for the perfect shot.

By the way, no offence to taxi drivers, but I think a large part of taxi driving is stopping at taxi stands or driving slowly looking for fares (apart from breaks). So it's not a fair comparison against someone just driving non stop in the expressway.

Good choice.

This car is spacious inside.

What major repair are you referring to? Engine/gearbox overhaul?

Personally for my previous KIA, I drove it for 6 years, 156k km without requiring any major repairs. The most major things I did was a full water pump/hoses/belt replacement (preventive maintenance) and absorbers/stabilizer bar bushes/strut links (wear and tear).

What major repair are you referring to? Engine/gearbox overhaul?

Personally for my previous KIA, I drove it for 6 years, 156k km without requiring any major repairs. The most major things I did was a full water pump/hoses/belt replacement (preventive maintenance) and absorbers/stabilizer bar bushes/strut links (wear and tear).

Engine oil leak. It was flywheel seal cracking - about 4 years plus

Transmission oil leak - crack at seal. About 7 yrs plus.

Both cost about $500 each to repair.

Gear box started to show problems at 7 year mark but I was trading in for the accent so I never fixed it.

The rest are wear and tear items.

My mileage on trade in at about 7.5 years is 124000 km but must note it was off peak car.

Mine was avante. Hyundai. My brother was kia. Kia cerato variant 2. His also had problems but he does not go for servicing as religious as me so maybe it's he never maintained the car.

Edited by Philipkee

Oil seal leaks are common to all sorts of machinery and is only a matter of time. And when it happens, how critical the leak is and the consequences of not fixing it. I would classify it as wear and tear item.

You find them major because they cost a lot to rectify. Not because the seals are expensive, but the labour involved to remove all the surrounding parts to get to the seal :D

To me, major repairs would be like engine or gearbox failures (internal components crack or broken) that require a major overhaul.

Engine oil leak. It was flywheel seal cracking - about 4 years plus

Transmission oil leak - crack at seal. About 7 yrs plus.

Both cost about $500 each to repair.

Gear box started to show problems at 7 year mark but I was trading in for the accent so I never fixed it.

The rest are wear and tear items.

My mileage on trade in at about 7.5 years is 124000 km but must note it was off peak car.

Mine was avante. Hyundai. My brother was kia. Kia cerato variant 2. His also had problems but he does not go for servicing as religious as me so maybe it's he never maintained the car.

• Praise 2

That's y I am now looking at a Honda city. Went to motor show just now. My target car in its target colour...

Good choice.

Go for it.

Tio bo, @Buadongdong ?  :XD:

with regular oil change, the engine run for 1m miles.

but both toyota and hyundai didnt mention,

for example,

how many sets of shock absorber replace?

alternator,

cooling coil,

ECU ( esp for elantra, local elantra and avante is popular for ecu failure.)

gearbox

etc etc

Edited by Beregond
  • Praise 1

with regular oil change, the engine run for 1m miles.

but both toyota and hyundai didnt mention,

for example,

how many sets of shock absorber replace?

alternator,

cooling coil,

ECU ( esp for elantra, local elantra and avante is popular for ecu failure.)

gearbox

etc etc

Even if it’s pure highway miles. I have never heard of any gearbox running 1M miles without a change.

Welcome to the 1990s. Are u stuck in a cave or what? Korean cars have no problems lasting 10 years now.

A Thai made honda on the other hand.. XD

Even if it’s pure highway miles. I have never heard of any gearbox running 1M miles without a change.

yeah,

i watch alot of video of those fancy car, they alway focus on how well their engine is build.

but nowsaday engine very seldom breakdown.

every other things count,

for example, the door handle,

i remember 1 batch of 5 series F10  for very poor plastic and rubber on the inside door that melt.

i remember my sidemirror motor, a few year nia, cannot work properly,

my friend XF 3 years only power steering pump spoil.

other problems like restricted performance alarm keep coming, cannot even run to  90km.

3 years 40k car, so what if its engine is first class. that car is a total crap.

↡ Advertisement