8J Rims.

ER-3682

Just check with Experts here,can 8Jx18 Rims fit 255/35-18 Tyres.?

J is for passenger car, so it is ok. 8" to fit 255 tyre will be too narrow. The tyre will have 1" of sidewall protruding out from the rim mount on each side to cause the tyre to look fat. The other consideration is because of the excessive oversize, the "J" mount between the tyre and the rim may not sit very nicely.

8.5" rim will be  the minimum, 9" will be ideal. 

I could be wrong. 

J is for passenger car, so it is ok. 8" to fit 255 tyre will be too narrow. The tyre will have 1" of sidewall protruding out from the rim mount on each side to cause the tyre to look fat. The other consideration is because of the excessive oversize, the "J" mount between the tyre and the rim may not sit very nicely.

8.5" rim will be the minimum, 9" will be ideal.

I could be wrong.

You are right. 9in will be the best. The 35 profile sidewall will be well supported to get the best out of the 255 width.
  • Praise 1

technically for 255/35/18

best opimum wheel width 9.5 J (9j is min 10.5 max)

if you come across a shop tell you without hesitation 8J can use with 255/35/18 , he properly do not know what tire and wheels, only KNow  Monies. 

Another choice will be stick to 245 width,but upgrade the Profile to 40,instead of 35,the front..use stock size,225/40-18,but i am afraid can affect the ABS & Traction Control...Systems.

Another choice will be stick to 245 width,but upgrade the Profile to 40,instead of 35,the front..use stock size,225/40-18,but i am afraid can affect the ABS & Traction Control...Systems.

by  changing the aspect ratio from 35 to 40 is not an upgrade.   It will affect or even damage your transmission if your car is a 4WD or AWD . In addition, it will cause quicker tyre wear unnecessarily. 

For 2WD cars, it will result in front and back wheels having slightly different revolution per min because of the difference in wheel diameter. it should not affect ABS or traction control but it will affect your speedometer accuracy depending on which wheel the speedometer reading is taken from.

Looks like your car is having  staggered wheels setup, why do you want to change the aspect ratio in the first place ?  If you want  40 aspect ratio, 225/40R18 would  be the perfect match with your front, but you need to check the width of the rim at the rear could take 225  tyres.

Edited by Ct3833

technically for 255/35/18

best opimum wheel width 9.5 J (9j is min 10.5 max)

if you come across a shop tell you without hesitation 8J can use with 255/35/18 , he properly do not know what tire and wheels, only KNow  Monies. 

never seen 9.5 recommended for 255/35/18.

most manufacturers use 9in rim width for measurements which i assume is the optimal. for Michelin PS4s its 8.5-10in as recommended width.

i would assume that they know better?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

Been thru 245/40/18 for 9j, 235/40/18 for 8.5j, and now 265/35/18 for 9.5j. Honestly not much difference in speedometer readings or handling feel.(stock 225/45/17). More rubber means more contact with the ground so technically better grip n road feel. No damage to transmission, maybe wheel bearings will wear out faster but so far no such experience too.

(edited)

by  changing the aspect ratio from 35 to 40 is not an upgrade.   It will affect or even damage your transmission if your car is a 4WD or AWD . In addition, it will cause quicker tyre wear unnecessarily. 

For 2WD cars, it will result in front and back wheels having slightly different revolution per min because of the difference in wheel diameter. it should not affect ABS or traction control but it will affect your speedometer accuracy depending on which wheel the speedometer reading is taken from.

Looks like your car is having  staggered wheels setup, why do you want to change the aspect ratio in the first place ?  If you want  40 aspect ratio, 225/40R18 would  be the perfect match with your front, but you need to check the width of the rim at the rear could take 225  tyres.

Yes,my M240i came with Staggered Rims,the stock rear came with 245/35-18,which Diameter is a tad smaller than the front with 225/40-18...i prefer the rear a bit bigger...now i going to opt 245/40-18 for the rear for a better look...thanks everybody for the advice... [thumbsup]  [:)]

Edited by ER-3682
  • Praise 1

Yes,my M240i came with Staggered Rims,the stock rear came with 245/35-18,which Diameter is a tad smaller than the front with 225/40-18...i prefer the rear a bit bigger...now i going to opt 245/40-18 for the rear for a better look...thanks everybody for the advice... [thumbsup][:)]

Haha wah nice. Next time must declare earlier when you have a few hundred horses hidden under your bonnet.

By the way this might make your car look better F 245/35ZR19 / R 265/35ZR19....Steam roller wheel from the rear view.

never seen 9.5 recommended for 255/35/18.

most manufacturers use 9in rim width for measurements which i assume is the optimal. for Michelin PS4s its 8.5-10in as recommended width.

i would assume that they know better?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+4S

SORRY for worng interpretation.

after double checked is 8.5-10 as from some tire company site

anyway 9.5 rim width is still within the recommended range 

[:p]  :a-confused:Jamesc needs new Specs...

This thread is so misleading.

I thought the 8 was B.

So disappointed.

:D

• Praise 1

(edited)

I plan to upsize the tyre of my Bolero DI 4x4 to Maxxis Bighorn 31x10.5R15. I have lifted the vehicle through leaf cambering and shackle lift and gained around 3 inches lift. I am looking to increase the track of the vehicle by going in for offroad negative offset steel rims. What is the ideal wheel for the above mentioned tyre? Should I use 8J rims with negative offset or can I use 10.5J rims with negative offset? Can I use a 10.5J negative offset steel rim on Bolero DI 4x4 without it fouling with the suspension or insides of the wheel well?

Edited by bryangreene
↡ Advertisement