What will you say to your child about fandom ?

Ingenius

If your child ask to watch a Korean k-pop concert that cost $300, what will you say ? 

Edited by Ingenius
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

I go Iron Maiden concert $200 front row

Really front row

No one in front of me

Still got the newspaper cutting and ticket wrist band

• Praise 5

(edited)

No

No reason or teaching given ? 

Aiya, nowadays most concert ticket esp those popular are expensive de.

When I was told it cost $300, I thought that was the most expensive one, turned out it was the normal seat price. 

Say nothing. Silent is golden. Ears of teens only want to hear positive things, anything else is noise and irritant if not annoyance.

I said no but found it difficult to explain why it is not good to go watch k-pop concert that cost $300.  Is it about the money or the k-pop culture ? 

Edited by Ingenius

When I was told it cost $300, I thought that was the most expensive one, turned out it was the normal seat price. 

This is what i meant lo, concert ticket now even the cheapest also not say cheap liao.  [laugh]

No reason or teaching given ?

I said no but found it difficult to explain why it is not good to go watch k-pop concert that cost $300. Is it about the money or the k-pop culture ?

Both - I’d go to the concert myself if I were to part $300. I like Korean ‘culture’ albeit artificial beauty.

If your child ask to watch a Korean k-pop concert that cost $300, what will you say ? 

Depends lor.. If out of my pocket, HELL NO.. if its from their piggy bank or their savings, go ahead.. But dont expect me to increase their daily allowance thereafter.. They need to learn how hard money is earned (at least for me la. I'm poor). FYI, a front zone ticket for Maroon 5 cost only $188..

Edited by Buadongdong
  • Praise 9

screw yourself 

thats my answer

because my kids will never ask

• Praise 2

1. Ask the kid to work part time to earn it. Or help around the house or parents place to earn it.

2. Ask for something in return. Good grades or only present for the whole year.

3. Ask kid to write 500 words essay of why must attend.

4. Educate the kid of where $300 can be better spent.

• Praise 6

Huh? Why don't you let us know what are your concerns?

I don't think money is an issue. At this age who is able to watch kpop concert they should also have some savings of their own.

Anyway I would be ok if my kid wants to go. You are only young once.

• Praise 1

(edited)

Huh? Why don't you let us know what are your concerns?

I don't think money is an issue. At this age who is able to watch kpop concert they should also have some savings of their own.

Anyway I would be ok if my kid wants to go. You are only young once.

That's a good answer from a different stand point.  Those who said their kids wont ask for it, it's because they likely don't have daughters, girls tend to like such things, not boys.

The thing is, after watching such concert, will it lead to idolizing them ?  I have seen those young girls running after pop band groups while the father follows.  So it is not just a matter of watching one show.

Maybe your post strikes me that, I can say I let you watch this once, but don't idolize them, ok ? 

Edited by Ingenius
  • Praise 1

I told my elder girl when she wanted to go a few year back,  to save half herself and I give her the other half, 50-50.  Ended up she went to work for it with her classmate, but I went to fetch her back that night after the concert. 

My 2nd girl just went to the recent BTS concert, same thing told her 50-50. Then she came back and say no need 50-50 liao, she got 2 awards total $850 from the school ( i think is EAGLES and leadership awards), she paid full for the concert herself. 

on the side, my son wanted a bluetooth head gear after buying a wired one. The mother say no because just bought one. He came to me, I said 50-50, you go save the 50%. Then came comtec, he came to me said may have big discount according to his friend, I asked him how much he saved, he said $90, but still short of the 50%. I told him if comtec got big discount, we buy, he pay $90, balance I settle. It was selling normal price $149, at comtec it went for $99, I paid $9.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

• Praise 6

I told my elder girl when she wanted to go a few year back,  to save half herself and I give her the other half, 50-50.  Ended up she went to work for it with her classmate, but I went to fetch her back that night after the concert. 

My 2nd girl just went to the recent BTS concert, same thing told her 50-50. Then she came back and say no need 50-50 liao, she got 2 awards total $850 from the school ( i think is EAGLES and leadership awards), she paid full for the concert herself. 

on the side, my son wanted a bluetooth head gear after buying a wired one. The mother say no because just bought one. He came to me, I said 50-50, you go save the 50%. Then came comtec, he came to me said may have big discount according to his friend, I asked him how much he saved, he said $90, but still short of the 50%. I told him if comtec got big discount, we buy, he pay $90, balance I settle. It was selling normal price $149, at comtec it went for $99, I paid $9.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

Thanks for the sharing. For me it is not really about the money, but about the values.  I have bought her things which are much more expensive, but to spend on k-pop concert, I am not sure how that will pan out... or am I thinking too much.

That's a good answer from a different stand point.  Those who said their kids wont ask for it, it's because they likely don't have daughters, girls tend to like such things, not boys.

The thing is, after watching such concert, will it lead to idolizing them ?  I have seen those young girls running after pop band groups while the father follows.  So it is not just a matter of watching one show.

Maybe your post strikes me that, I can say I let you watch this once, but don't idolize them, ok ? 

Thanks. We were all young once and wanted to do the things we wished we could do. I mean we know what that felt like.

You got to make them realise that all these idols are like your kids, their lives aren't all that glamourous. They are not really happy cos they always have to keep up with their image or false personality to make others happy. Show them the dark side of  kpop to bring them back to reality. Tell them not all that is what you see is what you think. Your kid will have to work hard to get what she wants blah blah blah...

Be honest. You don't have to use fear tactics or bluff them. I always tell my children the truth. What they see and what's going on behind the scenes is totally different.

• Praise 1

Thanks for the sharing. For me it is not really about the money, but about the values.  I have bought her things which are much more expensive, but to spend on k-pop concert, I am not sure how that will pan out... or am I thinking too much.

I can feel you bro. 

I have 2 girls, and much older than yours, so I gone through it.

The reason I asked for 50% is to see how serious they were, if they are prepared to save or work for that 50%, no other reason for me not to agree. Their interest will change as they grow up, but going to a K pop live concert mayb a once a life time experience for them. To me it is just life experience, and I never want my kids to feel left out when their friends and classmates talk bout the concert. 

And its in SG, how often do we get this kind of things here, even then she may not be able to get the tickets also. Anyway different ppl will see values differently, and as usual, I am the demon, so my way may not be your way.  You will have to bring her up your way. 

I am just open with my children, when can I will not say cannot, but when I say cannot, they know there is no room for nego. 

I even allow my girls to bring friends back to play mahjong, and on festivals they can come over to drink. But thats my way, I rather they do it with me overseeing then to do it somewhere else I cannot see.  [laugh]

If I were you, I likely will let her go, and ask her how was the concert, she might just open up her mind to you later. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1