Fewer COEs for next three months starting from February

RickWong

Sadly car ownership has been the first aim of the younger generation.

The real concern is a high percentage of first time car owners who just started work  are looking at cars as a status symbol instead of a mode of transport.

They could spend just $70K for a Hyundai Avante or Kia Cerato or $60K for  a Mitsubishi Attrage or Perodua Bezza, but these people rather spend double - over $130,000 for a base model Audi A3 which comes with an underpowered 1000cc 3 cylinder, 12 valve engine.

Many live on future money and live by the month.

• Praise 2

The real concern is a high percentage of first time car owners who just started work are looking at cars as a status symbol instead of a mode of transport.

They could spend just $70K for a Hyundai Avante or Kia Cerato or $60K for a Mitsubishi Attrage or Perodua Bezza, but these people rather spend double - over $130,000 for a base model Audi A3 which comes with an underpowered 1000cc 3 cylinder, 12 valve engine.

To each his own. It's their money, their life. Status is more important than anything else for this group of buyers
  • Praise 1

The real concern is a high percentage of first time car owners who just started work  are looking at cars as a status symbol instead of a mode of transport.

They could spend just $70K for a Hyundai Avante or Kia Cerato or $60K for  a Mitsubishi Attrage or Perodua Bezza, but these people rather spend double - over $130,000 for a base model Audi A3 which comes with an underpowered 1000cc 3 cylinder, 12 valve engine.

I tink depends on the person's age grp. i hv friends who r in mid to late 30s with kids.... eventhough they r earning big money, they dont bother to hv a car. they rather jus take grab/cab. used to it by now n also no hassle of upkeeping a car. 

• Praise 1

I tink depends on the person's age grp. i hv friends who r in mid to late 30s with kids.... eventhough they r earning big money, they dont bother to hv a car. they rather jus take grab/cab. used to it by now n also no hassle of upkeeping a car.

I hope more rich people don't drive cars

so poor people like me can drive cars.

Rich people please take grab and taxis.

:D

So sure... Do you know the economy condition......

Singapore economy is slowing down less than 2%. Hey day is over.

Better worry jobs unless you have silver spoon.

At the same time, Singapore economy is coming down very fast.

Common Singaporean is getting smarter. Car ownership could be secondarly. House ownership is more important.

Just make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy the "low" COE for now  [thumbsup]

You have a very special group of friends. Coz most of my friends who dont previously drive are buying cars because of their child.

Just make hay while the sun shines, and enjoy the "low" COE for now [thumbsup]

Yeah.... Worry your jobs first.

Less than 2% growth. Unless, your are civil servants.

COE premium expect to head north. Buy now!

Worry your job first.
  • Praise 1

You have a very special group of friends. Coz most of my friends who dont previously drive are buying cars because of their child.

I guess they r jus comfortable n ised to taking taxis. N with grab now, so easy. Jua go down n the car is there waiting. Same as if u hv own car.
  • Praise 1

Base model Audi A3 is not 130k. It is below 110k btw. The price list of Audi is inflated. You have to check with the SE.

And I don't think its is underpowered. 1litre turbocharged giving 200NM and century sprint in 9.9sec. That doesn't feel underpowered to me.

Suddenly it is not double the price and if you want to compare like for like, you should use mid-spec hyundai/cerato instead of the lowest spec, based on the quality of the interior etc.

Edited by Midorima

based on 2010 stats onwards, COE price shot up when quota was reduced to less than 1,000 per bid, subsequently when there were bumper crops of COE but the price continued to stay high because of Uber/LCR effect. now that things are back to normal without LCR, i think COE will not shoot up, though may raise slowly, until the quota reduces to less than 1,000. of course some will tell me those were during mata wearing shorts time.

Edited by Ct3833

Yeah.... Worry your jobs first.

Less than 2% growth. Unless, your are civil servants.

Worry your job first.

Yes, definitely it is important to keep our jobs.

Low COE is good for renewal now.

At least if one is out-of-job later, doing Grab/Go-Jek with own car still enables one to place food on the table for the family.

Sadly car ownership has been the first aim of the younger generation.

Actually becos of availability of Grab, less people will want to own car. When include high cost of parking and ERP, I just take public transport or call a grab and leave my car at home. Sometimes.

my friend newly rent condo, found their neighbours mostly driving BMW, Merced,  Audi or Lexes, immediately changed their Altis to 1000cc 3 cylinders Audi Q2 at 130k+, otherwise ashamed to talk with neighbours :yeah-im-not-drunk:

• Praise 1

Some people are bad with finances, some are willingly putting themselves into debt to buy a car - just let them make mistakes and learn.

If the fluctuation of COE prices is enough to scare people to buying cars now that the additional 1-10k will hurt them, then maybe they should relook into their priorities and look at other alternatives, be it 2nd hand and/or public transport. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1