Komoco new promotion

RickWong

Assuming his car is 4 years old, it should be a 10 year annual depreciation on the current car vs a [(old car price - trade in value) + new car price]/14.

The first few years of depreciation on the current car will be high, but will be negated by the price of the new car in the next ten years.

to some ppl, even if can break even also ok just to catch the 10 year cycle.

his car was bought using June 2015 coe (61k). so approx 3.5years old i think.  so scrapping it will yield approx 40k for the remainder of the COE and probably 7-8k for PARF. so he gets back 48k or thereabouts.

to get the new avante he has to come out with 20k. if i remember he paid 90k for his accent. so it will be 110k outlay and he gets to drive 13.5years till the end. the avante has a PARF of 6k at year 10 so its 104k/13.5kyears. which works out to be 7.7k vs about 8.5-8.7k if he continued to drive on the accent till year 10.  

so break even to me is when replacing the car and adding up the total outlay is the same as driving on. using pure depreciation alone is the  cleanest way to calculate as adding loans just confuses things.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 4

his car was bought using June 2015 coe (61k). so approx 3.5years old i think.  so scrapping it will yield approx 40k for the remainder of the COE and probably 7-8k for PARF. so he gets back 48k or thereabouts.

to get the new avante he has to come out with 20k. if i remember he paid 90k for his accent. so it will be 110k outlay and he gets to drive 13.5years till the end. the avante has a PARF of 6k at year 10 so its 104k/13.5kyears. which works out to be 7.7k vs about 8.5-8.7k if he continued to drive on the accent till year 10.  

Still need to fork out 20k? Consider quite a lot.

Still need to fork out 20k? Consider quite a lot.

take it that the 20k "buys" you an additional 3.5years of usage if you look at it from another angle.

another simplified way of looking at it can also be the Avante depreciates at approx 6.2k a year. his accent coe alone already depreciates at 6.1k a year, so for a mere 100bucks difference, might as well change car right?

take it that the 20k "buys" you an additional 3.5years of usage if you look at it from another angle.

another simplified way of looking at it can also be the Avante depreciates at approx 6.2k a year. his accent coe alone already depreciates at 6.1k a year, so for a mere 100bucks difference, might as well change car right?

That's not the way to look at it

Assuming his car is 4 years old, it should be a 10 year annual depreciation on the current car vs a [(old car price - trade in value) + new car price]/14.

The first few years of depreciation on the current car will be high, but will be negated by the price of the new car in the next ten years.

to some ppl, even if can break even also ok just to catch the 10 year cycle.

Something like that. But mine is different as my cars are paid in full.

So it's (old car price + top up needed for new car - min parf value for new car) / 13.75 years.

his car was bought using June 2015 coe (61k). so approx 3.5years old i think. so scrapping it will yield approx 40k for the remainder of the COE and probably 7-8k for PARF. so he gets back 48k or thereabouts.

so break even to me is when replacing the car and adding up the total outlay is the same as driving on. using pure depreciation alone is the cleanest way to calculate as adding loans just confuses things.

Yours is correct. To add on, I paid in full in 2015. New car also not taking loan

Not forgetting new car and 5 years warranty.

If I drive till 10 years, later will hit the high peak coe again.

Edited by Ivan_06
  • Praise 3

wow wow wow..

maybe i should sell the elantra and get the avante?  [:p]

Good idea. Maybe can get a new car w 10yr COE w/o coming out cash.

How much did you pay for your Elantra? 

his car was bought using June 2015 coe (61k). so approx 3.5years old i think. so scrapping it will yield approx 40k for the remainder of the COE and probably 7-8k for PARF. so he gets back 48k or thereabouts.

so break even to me is when replacing the car and adding up the total outlay is the same as driving on. using pure depreciation alone is the cleanest way to calculate as adding loans just confuses things.

Very good analogy example

Coe quota reduced by 13% from Feb to April... But maybe negated by recession bah

From their aggressive pricing seems like they expect coe to head south again
  • Praise 1

Supercharged

Good idea. Maybe can get a new car w 10yr COE w/o coming out cash.

How much did you pay for your Elantra? 

paid 70k - $1

its only 4 months old though  [:p]

but i'm impressed with korean cars, over the weekend i chanced upon my B-in-law merz B200..

the cabin space is smaller than elantra..

can't even fit a wheelchair

the buttons on the dashboard were kinda outdated, while elantra comes with a touch panel display..

most importantly.. he depre $11k annually..

of course, conti is another different league  :D

Edited by Kurty
  • Praise 3

paid 70k - $1

its only 4 months old though  [:p]

but i'm impressed with korean cars, over the weekend i chanced upon my B-in-law merz B200..

the buttons on the dashboard were kinda outdated, while elantra comes with a touch panel display..

of course, conti is another different league  :D

Different league la, he is simply paying for the badge of the car. Anyway, your B-in-law B200 is which era de? I find the current merc interior design quite nice le.

paid 70k - $1

its only 4 months old though [:p]

of course, conti is another different league :D

Ok what. U paid 69,999. Quite good price Liao.

Is it worth to trade in COE renewed car now? Renewed 5 yr and left 4 yr more to go. Now new car dep lower than COE car. Thinking of changing.

Is it worth to trade in COE renewed car now? Renewed 5 yr and left 4 yr more to go. Now new car dep lower than COE car. Thinking of changing.

It depends on your COE price plus the PARF that you have written off.

Do share and let the bros here comment about it.

if new car,

at 20k need top up fluid i think something wrong.

(other then washer tank fluid ).

never top up brake fluid, as the brake pad worn off and get thinner, the brake fluid will lower, when u replace new and thicker brake pad, they will rise back to normal level.

if any thing extra, at most the air filter n cabin filters..

You drive Continental car, simi fluid also must top up one leh... including engine oil... ha ha... so I think we're all glad we're driving Korean cars... appreciate the reliability and hence the opportunity to save some hard earned money by servicing outside of the AD...

paid 70k - $1

its only 4 months old though [:p]

of course, conti is another different league :D

Bro... you save like $30,000 off the price... mai hiam lar... continental car different league, price also different league ah...
  • Praise 1

You drive Continental car, simi fluid also must top up one leh... including engine oil... ha ha... so I think we're all glad we're driving Korean cars... appreciate the reliability and hence the opportunity to save some hard earned money by servicing outside of the AD...

Bro... you save like $30,000 off the price... mai hiam lar... continental car different league, price also different league ah...

Not all conti cars are like that, my old e200 is pretty maintenance free, I only send it for servicing once in every 15k km, no top up of water or oil in between, except for fuel. Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

I'm going to get flamed.

I feel those who get the audi lookalike Elantra super Heng. Imagine white body and big rims.

The new one... The avante really look damn fugly. It takes courage to choose this over the cerato.

Based strictly on looks hor

Hahaha I agree. I saw one in the flesh. The older one looks so much better

no chance leh - too painful...

now the market is ideal for those who has no car on hand, but can afford one.

i have a fren whose car's COE was $68k. He's been thinking about changing for 8 mth already, but can't stomach the low trade-in offered [sweatdrop]

Haha. Mine 75k. If I'm going to change, it would be this year. If not it will be drive all the way until 8-9th year. But on the other hand, my car mileage is low. Feel bit wasted.
↡ Advertisement