Komoco new promotion

RickWong

I scrapped my car in early 2016, because I refused to pay so much for COE and ARF etc , I have since been driving used car. Fortunately, today I dare to say that my decision have been correct because I have avoided paying for high COE. Now the problem is I find used car is so cheap to maintain that even at today's car price, I still am unable to accept the fact that I have to pay so much for a new car.

But the current car price is lowest among the past many years.

Used cars is always a good option.

But i'm not that savvy with repairs etc and how to avoid lemons, so i don't dare. I mean i know more than the average car buyer due to this forum but i'd rather buy new or close to new (which doesn't really make sense in this current climate of COE reaching it's nadir)

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Haha. Mine 75k. If I'm going to change, it would be this year. If not it will be drive all the way until 8-9th year. But on the other hand, my car mileage is low. Feel bit wasted.

Wah... yours so high!?!?

If you have/had the intention to change, then you missed the boat. Another guy i know, had a Noah that was less than 2 yr old, and he managed to get a good price from a dealer to trade in for a new Tucson. That was just before half of SG car owners went to trade in their old cars when COE started diving last year. His timing was perfect, and he said he pitied the dealer cos few months down, the car was still unsold (as new car prices all dropped significantly, making his old car super not worthwhile).

That was the trigger for the other friend to ask about his xv, by which time no dealers dare to take in at high price anymore - cos the market was flooded with these "few-year-old cars" already.

I am wondering will price of coe really raise signifcantly after mid of this year? In the past few years, there have been clawback and authority trying to hold back some of the coe quota. This may help to dilute the coming year coe famine. Whose know, there isn’t any drought season. Ppls can just change car as and when necessay but not base on which year

Is this wishful thinking?

Edited by Lotr8445r
  • Praise 1

Wah... yours so high!?!?

If you have/had the intention to change, then you missed the boat. Another guy i know, had a Noah that was less than 2 yr old, and he managed to get a good price from a dealer to trade in for a new Tucson. That was just before half of SG car owners went to trade in their old cars when COE started diving last year. His timing was perfect, and he said he pitied the dealer cos few months down, the car was still unsold (as new car prices all dropped significantly, making his old car super not worthwhile).

That was the trigger for the other friend to ask about his xv, by which time no dealers dare to take in at high price anymore - cos the market was flooded with these "few-year-old cars" already.

Well that was when uber was still snapping up COEs. Poorly timed buy. But ok lah. I upgraded so that i have more space for my family. Feel sayang but well that's life.

Yup so now they just offer slightly above scrap. 

never follow me when buying cars. I bought the elantra in april last year. Next month, price dropped 4 k  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

Well that was when uber was still snapping up COEs. Poorly timed buy. But ok lah. I upgraded so that i have more space for my family. Feel sayang but well that's life.

Yup so now they just offer slightly above scrap. 

never follow me when buying cars. I bought the elantra in april last year. Next month, price dropped 4 k  [laugh]

Sigh... don't remind me leh. Angry lor...

Because of the stupid uber, we suffered:

- had to pay $58k PQP to renew our low-mileage family Wish

- had to pay depreciation of $10k for the cheapest 9-yr-old car when my previous car COE expired, and i was betting COE will drop in 12 mth.

- then 10 mth later, saw that COE was not dropping so bit bullet and bought at $51k COE...

Agree on the part of upgrading for the family comfort. We all do it if possible.

oh, btw, i think your kids will grow up to be as tall as you. So you should think of big cars soon. Don't rule out 7-seaters [laugh]

- had to pay depreciation of $10k for the cheapest 9-yr-old car when my previous car COE expired, and i was betting COE will drop in 12 mth.

- then 10 mth later, saw that COE was not dropping so bit bullet and bought at $51k COE...

Agree on the part of upgrading for the family comfort. We all do it if possible.

oh, btw, i think your kids will grow up to be as tall as you. So you should think of big cars soon. Don't rule out 7-seaters [laugh]

OK lah. I look at it like paying more tax to the govt.

Stupid but already spilt milk...

I really don't like SUVs though I'm one of the rare few.

Maybe i will test drive a few to see if can change my mind  [laugh]

Edited by Lala81

SUV is good to own at least once in a lifetime la, esp nowadays it is so common to see people driving SUV, whether it is mini or big size SUV. Lol.

OK lah. I look at it like paying more tax to the govt.

Stupid but already spilt milk...

I really don't like SUVs though I'm one of the rare few.

Maybe i will test drive a few to see if can change my mind  [laugh]

I watched the video of the CX5 rolled off the bridge.

Phobia.

Better No SUV.

Phobia.

Better No SUV.

Didn't realise got video. i just watched it.

Damn. the cx-5 driver sibei suay.

But maybe even if car never go turtle, the sheer momentum would have brought a sedan to the same concllusion.

Phobia.

Better No SUV.

But maybe even if car never go turtle, the sheer momentum would have brought a sedan to the same conclusion.

Edited by Lala81

It depends on your COE price plus the PARF that you have written off.

Do share and let the bros here comment about it.

I renewed with PQP at $50k (cat B). Parf was $10k. So my total cost was $35k since i renewed it for 5 yr. Now paper value $20k.

Do u intend to meet the 10 yrs cycles when 75 k coe is back during the period when yr car is EOL?

Actually the 2015-2017 prices are kept higher than it would because of uber. Now that they have exited, the scenario come 2025 will be different. Not so straight forward predictable as no one knows what market or policy change will take place. Just like nobody foresee uber to cone in. All are after-fact analysis.

But maybe even if car never go turtle, the sheer momentum would have brought a sedan to the same concllusion.

If i am not wrong, the bridge has safety barrier which is quite strong.

The car was not pushed off the bridge but roll over the barrier.

The shape of an SUV make it more prone to rolling side way. Sedan or MPV will only fall to 1 side.

I scrapped my car in early 2016, because I refused to pay so much for COE and ARF etc , I have since been driving used car. Fortunately, today I dare to say that my decision have been correct because I have avoided paying for high COE. Now the problem is I find used car is so cheap to maintain that even at today's car price, I still am unable to accept the fact that I have to pay so much for a new car.

But the current car price is lowest among the past many years.

You lucky lor. if you got a used car which demanded a lot of replacement parts, then you might have been more frustrated.

There's always 2 sides to the coin.

Downside is that u have to take massive losses on the current car.  So as of now, if i trade in, my depreciation over this 4 years would be 22-23k/year for this 4 years i've owned it. If i drive to 8 years, the depreciation would <16k/year over the 8 years. 

U can argue it's sunk cost fallacy etc, but ultimately, paying the AD more profit (another 10-30k+) x 1 more time doesn't make it "cheaper"

Of course i can downgrade to Cat A. but i know I will probably get hand itchy again in few years lol.

you should the method i mentioned to calculate in the previous few post. as it spreads the depreciation over a longer period and makes more sense to make the call in keeping or selling/scrapping.

• Praise 1

If i am not wrong, the bridge has safety barrier which is quite strong.

The car was not pushed off the bridge but roll over the barrier.

The shape of an SUV make it more prone to rolling side way. Sedan or MPV will only fall to 1 side.

Oh it rolled over the barrier, i thought the railing broke.

• Praise 1

Those that extend their coe car owner should be the last folk on comtemplating whether high loss or not to change car.

How much can you lost if change new car? The most is forfiet your scrap value. 10k?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1