Will you buy your next car online?

therock

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/click-and-buy-a-hyundai-car-online-from-friday

Buy your next car in the same way that you do with veggies and DVDs?

Actually I bought my car in Oz online more than 10 years ago, and saved $8000. So I am already a supporter. 

If there are substantials savings, and everything is in black and white, why not? 

Plus you don't need to see the 'face color' of the sales rep, and if you are in another country, you won't be charged more due to any racial bias and you can choose all specs according to your needs. 

SINGAPORE - South Korean carmaker Hyundai and its local dealer Komoco will start selling cars online this Friday (Nov 9), making it the first in the industry to do so.

Its Click & Drive platform allows motorists to purchase Komoco's entire range of Hyundai cars in the comfort of their homes, any time of the day.

They can view each car in detail with a 360-degree camera, inside and out; pick a colour; and choose a financing scheme. If they wish, they can even talk to sales staff via a "live chat" function.

Test-drives can also be arranged this way.

Hyundai Motor head of Asia & Pacific Lee Yong Suk said: "Singapore is a test-bed for us - a place to implement innovative ideas.

"The model here is our master platform which we will use for other countries."

He said it will be rolled out in Australia next month, and four other countries next year.

Hyundai declined to reveal how much it invested in this.

Asked how many more cars it expects to sell via this online platform, Mr Lee said: "I don't think there will be any direct sales impact.

"Rather, we want to change customers' perspective of our brand. The world is changing fast. And customers are not willing to spend too much time in the showroom."

The platform has a secured payment channel for shoppers to place a deposit once they have decided to buy a car.

Komoco commercial director Ng Choon Wee said it is also possible for customers to arrange for test-drives at a time and place of their convenience.

"We are honoured to be the first dealer in Hyundai's global network to unveil this one-of-a-kind shopping platform," he added.

Komoco cites a high Internet penetration rate here for its move. It also cited British consultancy group Juniper Research ranking Singapore top in its 2017 Global Smart City Performance Index.

Mr Lee said the online platform will evolve over time.

"The final destination is home delivery," he added.

The platform at www.hyundai.com/sg goes live at 12pm on Friday.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Will there be options to include what freebies to choose in the website?  :grin:

Edited by DACH
  • Praise 1

"Buyers dont want to spend too much time in the showroom..."

LoL...that's not what I heard. Ppl treat the showroom like a mall. They jiak bah will go to showroom walk walk and drink free kopi.

• Praise 2

buying online has its advantages. A buyers does not need to step out of the door to book a car. A seller does not need big a showroom space and salesmen,  therefore save on operating cost. Of course provided the price is cheaper, otherwise what is the point of online transaction.  important point is a transaction has to be carried out with a reputable dealer, if buying online with a ABC company overseas, my answer is no thank you.

• Praise 1

"Buyers dont want to spend too much time in the showroom..."

LoL...that's not what I heard. Ppl treat the showroom like a mall. They jiak bah will go to showroom walk walk and drink free kopi.

There's no free coffee bro..

You will pay for it via the company's margins.. 

Free breakfast? Free transport or car pick? That all comes from somewhere... 

• Praise 1

Go showroom look, see, touch, test drive, drink kopi.

Then go online for best deal!

Just like going Courts/Best Denki etc.....

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 2

If it is confine to only what the local dealers have, it is nothing fantastic. 

But if it is open to other mix and match options like self import, with payment and logistics with the local AD, will be quite interesting.  [laugh]  [laugh]  [laugh]

If they are smart about it, why not?

What a lot of other sectors of the consumerism industry are doing, is having a physical brick and mortar store in town, where people can try on their goods (clothes/accessories/etc), then can go online to buy it. 

So if the brands still had their showrooms, but also opened up their websites to take in orders, don't see a problem. However, a lot of the SG websites for car brands are really bad - hardly updated and rarely reflect all the available options for the cars. 

Think some people would still prefer to go to the store in person, since they would want to try their best at negotiating and getting things which they may not be able to achieve if they went through the website. 

For past few cars I've had, I already know 80% of it from youtube reviews + Sgcarmart spec sheet even before step into the showroom.

But still will need to see the car physically in person, to see if have the feel that wants you to buy the car.. the feeling that makes your heart flutter.

+ test drive to confirm the youtube reviews about the drive.

How the showroom makes you feel + SE service standards or how good she looks.. is immaterial.

• Praise 1

If it is confine to only what the local dealers have, it is nothing fantastic. 

But if it is open to other mix and match options like self import, with payment and logistics with the local AD, will be quite interesting.  [laugh]

Hmmmmm............ mix & match...... :a-happy:

Ferrari door, Maserati body and Lamborgini engine ..... :wub:     

or Alphard body, SsangYong engine, Osim Massage Chair (centre row), .... etc . :we-all-gonna-die:

like that har ,  can or not ..........   :secret-laugh:

• Praise 2

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/click-and-buy-a-hyundai-car-online-from-friday

Buy your next car in the same way that you do with veggies and DVDs?

Actually I bought my car in Oz online more than 10 years ago, and saved $8000. So I am already a supporter. 

If there are substantials savings, and everything is in black and white, why not? 

Plus you don't need to see the 'face color' of the sales rep, and if you are in another country, you won't be charged more due to any racial bias and you can choose all specs according to your needs. 

Good to do on line but photos in internet are always touch-up and look appetizing from real model display at showroom. (camera tricks)  :slow:

Unless one had view the model he wants and goes online to order.    [drivingcar]

Nope. Cos ergonomics is important for cabin space. U can watch hundred reviews but if your kar cheng don't feel comfy what's the point.

I almost bought the teana cos it was the best value at the juncture... But the main reason that stopped me was that I never felt comfortable with their head rest. Given that I sleep in my car at times, I found it unacceptable.

It doesn't need to be a premium cabin. But it must fulfil your expectations of comfort and functionality.

showroom and test drive is still a must for me. this will only be good if one is stuck between the choice of 2 cars and needed to go home and think about it. subsequently if decided on which one, can straight order online without visiting again.. 

Will there be options to include what freebies to choose in the website?  :grin:

if like what one person mention, $8000 discount, I dont need freebies liao, I buy on line.

Edited by Sdf4786k

Go there better.

I go there.

Serve by SE.

SE tell me take their free lunch first then discuss.

After free lunch.

Discuss.

In the end,never buy and walk out.

LOL.....

• Praise 1

Just tried... not bad for a start but interior accessories not specific enough

Eg: Can't confirm if car seat is leather or if 8 inch infotainment system is touch screen

↡ Advertisement