• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
32 replies to this topic | 65 praises

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

RickWong
  • RickWong
    1st Gear
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

MENU
Singapore
70km/h speed limit for eight-seater passenger cars removed; LTA trials revised speed limit for mobile cranes
By CYNTHIA CHOO
Eight-seater passenger cars will be required to observe the same road speed limits as other passenger cars.
Land Transport Authority/Facebook
Eight-seater passenger cars will be required to observe the same road speed limits as other passenger cars.
Published29 JANUARY, 2019
UPDATED 29 JANUARY, 2019
70 Shares

SINGAPORE — The Land Transport Authority (LTA) will remove the speed limit for eight-seater passenger cars from Feb 1, given “advancements in vehicle safety standards”, it said on Tuesday (Jan 29).

Currently, eight-seater passenger cars are subject to a vehicle speed limit of 70km/h, whereas other smaller passenger cars do not have vehicle speed limits.

ADVERTISING

inRead invented by Teads
From next month, eight-seater passenger cars will be required to observe the same road speed limits as other passenger cars.

“This is in line with the practice in other countries,” said the LTA.

ADVERTISEMENT

LTA will also begin a six-month trial during which the speed limit for mobile cranes with a laden weight exceeding 24,000kg will be increased from 20km/h to 40km/h.

Currently, mobile cranes with a laden weight of up to 24,000kg have a vehicle speed limit of 40km/h, while mobile cranes with a laden weight of more than 24,000kg have a vehicle speed limit of 20km/h.

LTA has received feedback from the industry that the speed limit of 20km/h is too low, resulting in longer travelling time on the road, which may cause driver fatigue.

In view of industry feedback, LTA will commence a trial on Feb 1 to increase vehicle speed limits for mobile cranes with laden weights exceeding 24,000kg from 20km/h to 40km/h.

“This decision takes into account improvements in vehicle technology and design that allow mobile cranes to travel safely at higher speeds, and is also in line with practice in other countries such as Australia, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom,” said the authority.

In Australia, the maximum speed limit for such vehicles is 40 to 50km/h. In the United Kingdom, it is 48km/h, and 70km/h in Hong Kong.

During the trial, all mobile cranes will be required to adhere to the road speed limit or the vehicle speed limit of 40km/h, whichever is lower.

Mr Jimmy Chua, the chairman of the Singapore Cranes Association (SCA), welcomed the trial.

“These drivers also have to operate the cranes at the worksite and a slow travelling speed across a long distance may result in driving fatigue and workplace accidents,”
Beregond, Tianmo and BanCoe praised this

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:27 PM

Picnic06-Biante15
  • Premium member
    Picnic06-Biante15
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Not my concern unless I am the driver of the Merc Vito Passenger van where one can see many at airport or hotels. Most are registered under PA plates and with a 70km/h stickers.

It's will be good news to those drivers with 8 passengers van. :a-m1212:

My only concern is hopping LTA to increase KPE speed limit to 80km/h for the whole stretch. (Tampines to Marina Bay) ...   :a-happy:

:XD:

Pohhenry praised this

"Genius is One Per Cent INSPIRATION, Ninety-nine Per Cent PERSPIRATION"

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:40 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I always find eight seater MPV very dangerous.. especially a lot of them likes to tailgate very close on lane 1..

then again, the mobile cranes previously 20kph?? even power assisted bike got higher speed limit!

Yewheng praised this

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

that is what lane 2 is for..

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:17 PM

Gizmore
  • Premium member
    Gizmore
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I always find eight seater MPV very dangerous.. especially a lot of them likes to tailgate very close on lane 1..

then again, the mobile cranes previously 20kph?? even power assisted bike got higher speed limit!

Therefore the PMD speed limit should be 10km/hr and not 20.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Umm, if they're tailgating you very close on lane 1, what are you doing on lane 1?

(Assuming you meant the fast lane by lane 1, the way it's marked on our expressways).

Edited by Turboflat4, 29 January 2019 - 02:21 PM.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 02:32 PM

Davidtch
  • Premium member
    Davidtch
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Umm, if they're tailgating you very close on lane 1, what are you doing on lane 1?

(Assuming you meant the fast lane by lane 1, the way it's marked on our expressways).

Attached Thumbnails

• DB3AE688-403E-4F06-82DC-ECEACE004338.jpeg

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:02 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

i never said they were tailgating me right?? 

how bout i'm behind them and see that they are tailgating pple dangerously close?

Doesn't mean you drive a faster car, you can travel at 70kph on a clear lane 1 with a train of cars behind you...

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:16 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

i never said they were tailgating me right?? 

how bout i'm behind them and see that they are tailgating pple dangerously close?

OK, then the guy in front of them is road hogging. Happy?

Either way, I'm more inclined to blame the hog than the tailgater.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 03:22 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

OK, then the guy in front of them is road hogging. Happy?

Either way, I'm more inclined to blame the hog than the tailgater.

I am not saying the tailgater is not at fault. but it is definitely not a safe sight to see the MPV tailgating almost bumper to bumper distance right in front of you. especially they seems to obstruct more front visual than other cars 

Kryxwee praised this

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:10 PM

Unfair
  • Premium member
    Unfair
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Why empty Goods Vehicle can only go 70km/h and restricted out of first lane.
Whilst a similar built passenger van carrying 7 people can go 90km/h on first lane ?

Tall cars/vans should be banned from lane 1 as they obstruct the view and will very likely have a longer stopping distance.

Pepi18022009 (For Fifa14/GTA V)

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

Turboflat4
  • Premium member
    Turboflat4
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I am not saying the tailgater is not at fault. but it is definitely not a safe sight to see the MPV tailgating almost bumper to bumper distance right in front of you. especially they seems to obstruct more front visual than other cars

I agree it's not safe. The root cause of tailgating is hogging.

We should legalise guided missiles to destroy road hogging cars.

I'm serious.
Renegade777 praised this

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:43 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

Why empty Goods Vehicle can only go 70km/h and restricted out of first lane.
Whilst a similar built passenger van carrying 7 people can go 90km/h on first lane ?

Tall cars/vans should be banned from lane 1 as they obstruct the view and will very likely have a longer stopping distance.

totally agree.. 

some trucks (e.g. volvo) probably have more safety feature than a BnB car.. so are they next?

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Knoobie
  • Premium member
    Knoobie
    Supercharged
    Author Image

I agree it's not safe. The root cause of tailgating is hogging.

We should legalise guided missiles to destroy road hogging cars.

I'm serious.

guided missiles or lazer beams.. nothing will ever work on them.. 

Turboflat4 praised this

Posted 29 January 2019 - 04:51 PM

Columbian78
  • Columbian78
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Honda odyssey considered 8 seater? Was it bound to observe speed limit of 70?

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:36 PM

DACH
  • DACH
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Honda odyssey considered 8 seater? Was it bound to observe speed limit of 70?

It’s 7 seater.

I think it is more relevant for those van like mini buses.
Dream car: Lamborghini Murcielago 6.2

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:30 PM

Columbian78
  • Columbian78
    6th Gear
    Author Image

I am surprised by the news article today that 8 seater passenger cars is limited to 70km/h. Cos I remember the current gen Odyssey has 8 seater variant. Does that mean they need to paste the 70km/h sticker like those vans? Never seen any Odyssey has it. Or was it becos of such a rule that nobody bought the 8 seater?

Instead of the 2 "captain" seats in the middle row, the 8 seater Odyssey has a bench that seats 3. The rear bench seats 3. It was officially sold as an 8 seater. 

I can only find mention of the 8 seater variant in this 2014 review. Quote "Two variants are available locally for the all new Odyssey, the EX-S that houses up to eight people and the EXV-S you see here that can sit seven."

http://www.sgcarmart...=725&GASRC=sgcm

My sis has the 7 seater. I go ask her if she knew.

It’s 7 seater.

Posted 29 January 2019 - 10:53 PM

Yuen
  • Yuen
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

I have owned a Honda Odyssey like one in the picture for 8 years, and driven at 80-90 km/h on express way.

No one every told me and I never know it has a speed limit of 70 km/h speed limit.

what about others like Toyota Previa?

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:59 PM

Columbian78
  • Columbian78
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Is yours an 8 seater Odyssey?

I never knew there is such a rule. Anyway it will be scrapped 1 Feb.

I try to find out more about this rule from LTA website but can't find anything other than the announcement it will be scrapped.

Always find those big alphard/vellfire driving very fast easily above 100. Not sure if they are 8 seaters. 

I have owned a Honda Odyssey like one in the picture for 8 years, and driven at 80-90 km/h on express way.

No one every told me and I never know it has a speed limit of 70 km/h speed limit.

what about others like Toyota Previa?

Posted 30 January 2019 - 02:51 PM

Didu
  • Didu
    3rd Gear
    Author Image

Don't like that say leh...some X5 are as tall but come with very good brakes woh... give chance lah...

Posted 30 January 2019 - 06:44 PM

Renegade777
  • Premium member
    Renegade777
    6th Gear
    Author Image

It’s 7 seater.

Also think more for vans and mini buses. Last time drove an Ody, more of a 7 seater. Everytime drives at hundred plus and no one say about the speed limits.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

Tags: lta, speed limit, eight seater and 6 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users