It is ok to let dog drink from water fountain in park?

Icetee168

Please... $0.25 only from any car park which is much easier to find compared to a water fountain. Please don't behave like those buy car with JB petrol budget kind. Cannot afford no need to ngeh ngeh chut big car. Pocket friendly types which still serve the purpose will do.

What's wrong with having to pump JB petrol?

Steal from you?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Maybe TS is the dog owner?

I dun have a dog...

in this age of plastic reduction and if i remember correctly the installation of water fountain in parks is to discourage the usage of plastic bottles...maybe NEA should consider installing a water lap at the lower portion of the water fountain...c pic for details

post-133139-0-18358600-1549028132_thumb.jpg

• Praise 1

I'm a dog lover but against the idea of letting a dog to drink from water cooler meant for humans.

Hygienic reason.

The dog might carry some bacteria harmful to us.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-6622581/Blogger-paralysed-stroking-STRAY-CAT-holiday.html

I read a recent real incident where a gal met a stray cat. Like it so much, brought the cat back. She contracted Guillain-Barré syndrome.

Went to see doc. Doc also v puzzled. Did some tests and found out she contracted some bacteria from raw meat. She's a vegetarian so no way she eaten meat.

Then she realised it's the stray cat. The cat must had eaten or come in contact with raw meat from rubbish bins, or on the floor. And the bacteria stays in the cat's mouth or body

So be careful with animals whether stray or domestic.

Edited by Jusnel
  • Praise 10

Turbocharged

i have mixed feelings about dogs. Never had one, but watching all the lassie (is that the name?) shows growing up, i quite liked dogs.

but when i was in JC yr 2, went to ubin for yr 1 ECA training camp. Was with a few ECA mates walking some distance behind the yr 1 trainees, as a sort of 'rear guide', during a hiking.

Then the rest of my mates said wanna take short-cut. I gey kiang said i better continue as need to be sure none of the trainees drop anything...

so left me alone.

Then a short while later, suddenly there were like about 10 wild-looking dogs appearing from the side some distance away, and walking towards me...

i've heard a lot about if got dog, should not be scared, and just stop there, look at them, etc. But then when they starting moving faster approaching me, TMD my instinctive thought was... you guessed it, run liao lah... and those darn dogs starting chasing...

shit, as i sprinted ahead, i could feel one heel hitting something, and bet my last dollar that it was one of those dogs...

Fortunately, at that moment, from the direction where the dogs came from, one old man gave a yell, and all the dogs stopped chasing me...

Think that man must have been feeding the dogs and they listened to him.

wah lao, i'd never been so relieved before, ok. Still dunno what would have happened had the old man didn't appear in time... [sweatdrop]

Since that time, i became very apprehensive of (wild) dogs...

Mine was during ICT in Thailand jungle doing checkpoint with 1 buddy.

A pack of 10ish wild dogs surrounded my buddy and I. They were howling and growling the whole night from a distance and their eyes stared at us in the darkness.

We didn't rest at all.. high alert and rifle prepared to butt hit anything that attempt to attack us... then till the day broke and saw them..

we thought they were huge but kns.. small small ones nia.

• Praise 3

I dun have a dog...

in this age of plastic reduction and if i remember correctly the installation of water fountain in parks is to discourage the usage of plastic bottles...maybe NEA should consider installing a water lap at the lower portion of the water fountain...c pic for details

Bet you that there will still be some people sensitive to this arrangement! Same water source for humans and dogs, contamination by association.
  • Praise 1

Mine was during ICT in Thailand jungle doing checkpoint with 1 buddy.

A pack of 10ish wild dogs surrounded my buddy and I. They were howling and growling the whole night from a distance and their eyes stared at us in the darkness.

We didn't rest at all.. high alert and rifle prepared to butt hit anything that attempt to attack us... then till the day broke and saw them..

we thought they were huge but kns.. small small ones nia.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

so many dogs plus 2 of you all didn't sleep whole night :a-confused:

Very scary man. Didn't dare to close our eyes. It was a last minute deployment and the PC didn't have enough men. The radio set was not working and we didn't even have rubber bullet in the rifle.

We were back to back in case something came attacking us.

Thought that time hong kan already. Then day broke we finally managed to see.. knn. Kuching kurak size nia.

Maybe we intruded into their territory.

Despite that.. still.. I like dogs

• Praise 4

Who want to risk it?

BACTERIA IN DOG SALIVA

8/10/2018

Laurie Anne Walden, DVM

1808-bacteria-in-dog-saliva.jpg?15339286
Are dogs’ mouths really cleaner than humans’ mouths? Definitely not! You may have read the recent news story of a Wisconsin man who required multiple limb amputations after contracting a bacterial infection from dog saliva. This type of severe infection is extremely rare, but dogs' (and cats’) mouths do harbor quite a variety of bacteria, some of which can make people sick.

The organism responsible for the Wisconsin patient’s infection was Capnocytophaga canimorsus, which is common in dog and cat saliva. Many different Capnocytophaga species normally live in the mouths of healthy dogs, cats, and humans. Up to 74% of dogs and 57% of cats have Capnocytophaga in their mouths. The types of Capnocytophaga that live in human mouths are usually different from those in dogs and cats.

Capnocytophaga canimorsus is one of the bacteria that cause infections in people who are bitten by dogs. Although it is usually spread through bites, it’s possible for a person to contract the infection after being licked by a dog. The Wisconsin man was reportedly licked, not bitten. A case report published in 2016 described an older woman who developed serious illness from Capnocytophaga canimorsus that likely came from contact with her own Italian greyhound. She recovered fully after 2 weeks of intensive care and antibiotics.

The vast majority of people exposed to this bacterium do not become ill. (Think of all the times you’ve been licked by a dog and haven’t gotten sick.) People who have had their spleen removed, use alcohol to excess, or have compromised immunity (from cancer or HIV infection, for example) are at increased risk of Capnocytophaga infection. Infection can cause severe sepsis (blood infection), gangrene, and inflammation of the heart lining, eyes, lymph nodes, and brain membranes. Infection in a pregnant woman can spread to the fetus. A 2015 review article reported a fatality rate of about 26%.

Of course Capnocytophaga are not the only bacteria in our pets’ mouths. Oral cavities—everyone’s, humans included—contain hundreds of different species of bacteria. Most of these bacteria are not zoonotic; that is, they are not spread between animals and people. The ones that do cause illness in people are usually transmitted by bites. However, one study found that several oral bacteria species could potentially be transmitted by close contact between pet dogs and their owners.

Prevention
For most people, the risk of contracting a severe infection after being licked by a dog is incredibly low. But if your dog has zoonotic parasites like hookworms or roundworms, eats a raw meat diet, or eats feces (including foraging for snacks in the cat’s litter box), it would be a very good idea not to let him lick you in the face.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends taking extra precautions around animals if you have an increased risk of infection. And everyone should take steps toprevent dog bites, which are much more likely than doggie kisses to cause an infection.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/dog-saliva-life-threatening-infection-capnocytophaga-bacteria/

https://www.cdc.gov/capnocytophaga/transmission/index.html

• Praise 10

Its really very simple.

We should build fountain for humans and dogs.

The water the human don't drink falls to the bowl for the dog to drink.

No need for any extra water even.

In case some dumb people complain we shouldn't use tax payers money

to pay for water for dogs to drink.

:D

a295b76c1a100f84727dbe123fb40aaf.jpg

drinking-water-fountain-with-dog-bowl-at

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 9

Dogs drinking from the fountain is one thing

but washing the dog's ass in the fountain

is a little bit too much.

061214bidet.jpg

Edited by Jamesc

James you are not stupid 

is so different from

James you are not so stupid right?

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 2

James you are not stupid 

is so different from

haha , someone give u the benefit of doubt ?  :D

• Praise 6

James you are not stupid

is so different from

I got no malicious intention against kusje so don't flame please.
  • Praise 1

Turbocharged

Sorry but I hate dogs. You should not let your dog go free to harass strangers.

If a dog comes towards me, I will try to avoid it. If it looks even a little aggressive and I think it might attack me or my child, then don't blame me if I kick it.

It is in you and your family best interest to understand animal behaviour instead of overreacting n hurt yourself.

People in this forum say the funniest things

and cracked me up so much I am even very

nice to my MIL today.

Because of CNY right? Expecting big Ang pow from MIL? :D
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5