COE Bidding – 1st Round of February 2019

Carbon82

Was there an option for guaranteed coe? I think itâs prudent to take that package or TOP up for it . Unless donât really need a car urgently and can play the waiting game.

In this case, the AD probably didnât lose anything but as buyers, thatâs 3 months

Not sure if there were guaranteed option, they said will give.

Still have my old car, so can wait. Lost my passion already after 3 months

↡ Advertisement

Usually there is a Top up for guaranteed for AD albeit higher prices. It essentially secured the COE regardless and avoids such a situation.

Then again, the lower price could be tempting to roll the dice. Don’t give up hope mate

For Cat B car buyers, it will be good to buy with guaranteed COE with no or limited top-up as the general trend is increasing.

• Praise 1

I am a kan cheong spider on learning about the cut in COEs so jumped in!

I also a little concerned about the new entrants into the private hire car market e.g. GoJek ... I think as before they will be aggressively bidding for COEs to expand their fleet?

Please correct me if I am wrong Bros ...

• Praise 1

I also a little concerned about the new entrants into the private hire car market e.g. GoJek ... I think as before they will be aggressively bidding for COEs to expand their fleet?

private hire already saturated. How many more drivers can the market accommodate? 

I am monitoring the COE over the coming months. Not renewing immediately.

Let's say hypothetically, the Feb PQP (after the 2nd bid in Jan) looks good, what is the final cut off date to renew at this price?

I am trying to apply this info on subsequent months, should I decide to renew.

In feb2019. Renew on 1mar2019 will be mar2019 pqp.

Wait till after 2nd feb biding and then see how the March pqp is like. No difference to renew today or on 28feb2019.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1

In feb2019. Renew on 1mar2019 will be mar2019 pqp.

Wait till after 2nd feb biding and then see how the March pqp is like. No difference to renew today or on 28feb2019.

Thanks for the answer!

Looks like on 28 Feb, after the second bidding in Feb, I can choose to renew based on Feb PQP or March PQP.

Edited by Albeniz

we will only know if you are right or wrong in hindsight. 

nobody can really know what will happen to coe in the future except to say that at the moment trending upward is more likely due to reduction in quota.  of course there are those who say that recession is coming but who really knows?

anyway, if you decided to buy at the price that you are comfortable with then just enjoy your new car. 

• Praise 3

I thought it was a PI but he replied was Opel. Still good that he got back his money.

Edited by Ct3833

I am monitoring the COE over the coming months. Not renewing immediately.

Let's say hypothetically, the Feb PQP (after the 2nd bid in Jan) looks good, what is the final cut off date to renew at this price?

I am trying to apply this info on subsequent months, should I decide to renew.

What car is that?

My car will only expire in Dec 2019.  Cat B seems to start heading north and breakingaway from $31k.

After the 2nd bidding on Jan 2019, the resultant Feb PQP is at $31,933 which I thought is attractive.

Can still renew at this price in March?  What is the cutoff date?  Can renew at this price even after the 2nd bidding of Feb?

Assuming cat B premium hover around $34,500 in the 2nd bid of Feb, the PQP will shift up to about $32,867 which make it $934 more costly. So if you are ok with current PQP of $31,933 can seriously consider renewing it now (latest by end of 2nd bidding exercise, as from the Friday after bidding ended, PQP will be based on the new amount for March).

https://www.onemotoring.com.sg/content/onemotoring/home/owning/coe-renewal.html

For example, if your COE expires on 5 August 2017, you can find out the PQP for July 2017 after the 2nd bidding exercise ends in June 2017. Assuming there is no public holiday the week of the bidding exercise, you can renew your COE using the July 2017 PQP on the Friday immediately after the 2nd bidding exercise in June 2017. Your new COE period starts on 1 August 2017. The unused portion of your previous COE from 1 to 5 August 2017 will be forfeited. This includes any COE rebate your vehicle may have enjoyed from a previous lay-up period.

In this case, suppose the 2nd bidding exercise in June 2017 ends on 21 June 2017. You can renew your COE using the July 2017 PQP anytime from 23 June 2017 until the end of July 2017. Check the timeline below. 

However, do take note that the balance of your COE premium (probably worth ~$1,550+/- as of end Feb) will be forfeited once you renew your COE.

Your new COE period starts from the 1st day of the month after you renew your COE. You will forfeit any unused portion of your previous COE.

• Praise 6

Looks like Cat. A has not much demand at around $25K, probably will drop below soon.

Cat. B still has quite some demand at $30K+.

• Praise 2

A humble Teana 2.0 which I previously mentioned.

I like this car.

Thanks for sharing. I am asking because as I said , if the depre is 1k per month, and your car is to be due in Dec, then you can afford $1k PQP increase per month of up till $10k more by Dec. But depre of Teana at this age should be lower, you may want to reassess how much increase in PQP is worth waiting.

Aassuming $700 depre per month, you would have $7k PQP of leeway to play with.

Edited by Ct3833

Thanks for sharing. I am asking because as I said , if the depre is 1k per month, and your car is to be due in Dec, then you can afford $1k PQP increase per month of up till $10k more by Dec. But depre of Teana at this age should be lower, you may want to reassess how much increase in PQP is worth waiting.

Very good advice, appreciate.

I like this car.

2.0 Teana is very under powered

the 2.5 will be a better ride

V6 engine but only tax is much higher

• Praise 2

Actually in @albeniz case, his annual depreciation (based on paper value) is merely $1.8 - 1.9K or about $160/month. Once he decided to renew COE for his Tenna, his balanced COE would be forfeited, and eventually his PARF value too (upon crossing the 10th year mark).

So it is a zero sum game to me, given that the PQP may be inching up to >$33K in times to come (basing on current upward trend), and the difference in PQP between now and then is around the amount to he forfeited...

I like this car.

Teana is a very spacious and comfortable car. [thumbsup] Great that you are enjoying it! [:)]

• Praise 5

2.0 Teana is very under powered

the 2.5 will be a better ride

V6 engine but only tax is much higher

For a non-chiongster, family man like me, the 2.0 Teana in reality has more than adequate power to drive my whole family around. That has been very well-verified as I am currently driving one and have put it through many sessions of fullfamily-load test. Very happy of what it delivers.

I have previously consulted my mechanic, he advised me to get the 2.0 Teana instead of 2.5.The latter is more challenging to repair.

In his opinion, I should get a Wish or Camry.

In terms of power, I guess it also depends 50-50 on the driver.

Edited by Albeniz
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1