Whole car sound proof

AndyHo

Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Mini, Bentley, Jaguar, Land Rover, Lotus, Vauxhall are all sold. 

Those that are left are not mainstream producers like Ariel, Morgan?

Pretty much yeah.

↡ Advertisement

My friend wife too... He want buy this buy that wife say dont waste money. After bypass want to by a watch, wife say dont waste money.. But wife will ask him go back china 2weeks,go cruise go holiday... Kns

Haha, this one no comment, My CFO buy things wanna look for and wait for discount. I just keep quiet. good things is both of us have our own finances. I upgraded my SLR camera boady wihch looks similar but model different. I think she knows and she does not say much. 

I spend what I like but just not too obvious and don't buy something not practical lah. Everyone got own pattern lah. My wife goes holiday yearly and plan almost one year ahead. But if she does not want me to spend on things like she feel useless. In terms of buying a watch, she just does not want me to buy too many(one for SGP use and one for China use).

Catch and rate your own pattern. Haha, let's not OT. 

She feels the SP is good enough but just love it cos of different standard of acceptance

• Praise 2

Sound proofing; I spend many weeks on DIY

First off, your car from the factory has some of it. Usually a small piece here and there at strategic place to prevent large flexing of metal that creates noise due to vibration.

If your car never vibrate, it is never noisy. But then you won't be moving anywhere.

So you want to achieve certain results:

1. Stop large metal piece from flexing, the chassis, the doors, bonnet, etc. - you placed damping materials on it, so instead of going "tang", it goes "tud"

2. Stop noise radiation - you put sound absorbing material, like foams.

On top of all these, you want to make sure those materials you added are more or less flameproof and doesn't bcum a fire hazard when placed at the wrong location.

As for the glass, windows and windscreen, not many can stop noise from going in from there.

And there's the tyres, it makes contact with the road and keep hitting on it creating noise.

So how much effort and money you spend, depends on you.

You can reduce noise a bit, but don't get your hopes too high, as there's a diminishing returns.

NVH is not only to have a good body frame,

a proper sound insulation and vibration application should already strategically applied during car body frame manufacturing process.

good frame but NVH still bad means the manufacturer is cut cost or not up standard yet

• Praise 2

You can watch Taiwan car review on Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 to have a glimpse on how car maker pay attention on little details such as glass thickness, tyres, double rubber seal on doors etc...just to achieve better sound insulation. 

It is not so simple as sticking sound proofing materials all over.

• Praise 1

NVH is not only to have a good body frame,

a proper sound insulation and vibration application should already strategically applied during car body frame manufacturing process.

good frame but NVH still bad means the manufacturer is cut cost or not up standard yet

Bro, during the manufacturing process, they only give you basic. At the end, still need to add on to make sure it is good, refer to mey photos......

post-189387-0-59536400-1550029907_thumb.jpg

post-189387-0-11236300-1550029943_thumb.jpg

post-189387-0-99890300-1550029984_thumb.jpg

You can watch Taiwan car review on Mazda CX-3 and CX-5 to have a glimpse on how car maker pay attention on little details such as glass thickness, tyres, double rubber seal on doors etc...just to achieve better sound insulation.

It is not so simple as sticking sound proofing materials all over.

yes. glass play an important part as well.

like for Mit eclipse cross earlier batch side window is of single layer, during car show I found out it now improve to double layer side window.

Edited by Contipro

I follow a few car audio shops on fb. Observed that most cars that do whole car soundproof are cheaper jap cars like sienta, vezel, harrier etc. Hardly or never see more expensive cars (incl entry conti) do whole car treatment. So the advice to buy a better car or just save until can buy is sound. 

Edited by Columbian78

I follow a few car audio shops on fb. Observed that most cars that do whole car soundproof are cheaper jap cars like sienta, vezel, harrier etc. Hardly or never see more expensive cars (incl entry conti) do whole car treatment. So the advice to buy a better car or just save until can buy is sound.

That is somewhat true. I did full car soundproof on my Sienta 2 years ago. Cost 2K. It is actually due to I played with ICE. Might as well.

Frankly speaking, JDM cars really have thin metals, hollow plastic door panels, etc. I even changed to quiet tires. You need to change to acoustic windows and all that to get a quiet cabin lor.

Changed to an entry level conti. Even without sound proofing (stock), the insulation is way better than my Sienta loaded with STP Gold and foam. Lol

Cheers.

• Praise 2

That is somewhat true. I did full car soundproof on my Sienta 2 years ago. Cost 2K. It is actually due to I played with ICE. Might as well.

Frankly speaking, JDM cars really have thin metals, hollow plastic door panels, etc. I even changed to quiet tires. You need to change to acoustic windows and all that to get a quiet cabin lor.

Changed to an entry level conti. Even without sound proofing (stock), the insulation is way better than my Sienta loaded with STP Gold and foam. Lol

Cheers.

Beside reducing sound from coming in, the car also need to have materials that absorb sound inside the cabin. This is the lesson I learnt when I do soundproofing for 4 doors, front wheel arc and undercarriage spray.

So to fully do soundproofing is really not cheap, coz also need to wrap those plastic with sound absorbing material too. Then ya glass also.

Edited by Yewheng

I think depends on car model... not necessary jap cars soundproofing is bad... at least my previous latio is super quiet...