Airbus stops production of A380

Jamesc

Hopefully SQ ger dun mothball them like our neighbour's splendidly run airline

SQ just spent US850m on the A380 refit program, so will be in the air for some time. And its also a premium product offering and a "status" symbol.

My likes of the A380 are the 19 inch seats and the 100-odd economy class seats on the upper deck. 

Only gripe is boarding takes longer cos of the larger number of passengers.

Read that MH has been trying to offload their 6 A380s but no buyers. And A350s are suppose to be replacing A380s for the KUL-LHR route.

The A350 is a marvel of........marketing. So much hype. So much praises.

Sit n a A380 and A350, the feel is quite noticeable. It's like sitting inside a 7-series vs a 3-series.

I've sat in all 3-classes of the A350; business, premium economy and economy. Gets the job done but hardly much excitement, not as quiet or stable as the A380 except for the stylo-mylo wing tips.

Time to fly Emirates more to support the big bird.

You are right of course. The A350 is no 7 series. But a 3 series is stll quite comfortable in its own right, although for me the A350 is more a 5 series.

Edited by sake

Wife, daughter and I recently took SQ A350 to Moscow (5 day stopover) and on to Stockholm. Came home from London SQ A380. To be fair, the A350 was quite comfortable too.

SQ, CX and MH A350s are quite comfortable in economy class. 

New-ish product so IFE are new larger screens.

With around 200 economy class seats (for the -900), boarding time is pretty ok. 

During our NZ trip in Dec, we flew Emirates. Chose connecting flight to save some $$.

SG-Sydney: small plane. I think was a 737. Super uncomfortable, maybe cos cramped, plus split us up as it was a rearranged flight, and had a bitch sitting besides me.

Sydney-Christchurch: A380. Very comfortable and nice, esp/maybe cos we came out from that lousy small plane (with bad company).

Talking of A380, i remember my father took one in 2008, en-route to the Beijing Olympics. He boarded the plane, waited a while, and all passengers were told to disembark because of aircon problem.

Subsequently changed to another A380, and the plane took off few hours later than scheduled, but was just before can claim travel insurance for flight delays... [smash]

Don't think will be a small plane like A320 or 737.

As flight to Sydney is about 8hr, I think too long for small plane.

• Praise 2

Agreed the A350 is comfortable, but A380 feels more stable in the air, and more comfortable too. 

Bigger plane also means during non-peak period, more chance of having whole row of econ seat to yourself [laugh]

• Praise 5

if i am not wrong, SQ newly configured A350 has no 1st Class, only econ, premium econ and business.

• Praise 2

if i am not wrong, SQ newly configured A350 has no 1st Class, only econ, premium econ and business.

Guess so, I am an economy class person. 

SQ A350 IFE kinda fun, big screen + small screen, so can watch movie and flight map at the same time. haha ...

SQ just spent US850m on the A380 refit program, so will be in the air for some time. And its also a premium product offering and a "status" symbol.

My likes of the A380 are the 19 inch seats and the 100-odd economy class seats on the upper deck. 

Only gripe is boarding takes longer cos of the larger number of passengers.

Read that MH has been trying to offload their 6 A380s but no buyers. And A350s are suppose to be replacing A380s for the KUL-LHR route.

The A380 market is dead. There is no 2nd hand market at all.

I read reports about this years ago.

U have to take a huge loss to offload. In fact none of the planes that SQ/emirates sell will be used.

100% of them will be just cut up into spare parts.

A380 has been dead for at least 4-5 years lah. 

Only finally emirates conceded that other than status symbol, there's no point in using them. But this company has $$ to burn, so it's taken them a while. Only last few years have their decisions made economic sense.

• Praise 3

Agreed the A350 is comfortable, but A380 feels more stable in the air, and more comfortable too. 

Bigger plane also means during non-peak period, more chance of having whole row of econ seat to yourself [laugh]

actually SQ a bit hard to have a lot of empty seats I think, cos they code share with so many big airlines.

sit MH better chance of empty seats.  [laugh]

• Praise 1

thought SG-SDY is 777?

A380 always feel more comfortable

When first launched SQ Business seat also one of the best but others have caught up

Ya A380 Business Class is equivalent to First Class previously and even today’s suites (First Class) just only better off due to privacy and perhaps abit more space but price is easily 2x+ more than Business Class.

• Praise 3

The A380 market is dead. There is no 2nd hand market at all.

I read reports about this years ago.

U have to take a huge loss to offload. In fact none of the planes that SQ/emirates sell will be used.

100% of them will be just cut up into spare parts.

A380 has been dead for at least 4-5 years lah. 

Only finally emirates conceded that other than status symbol, there's no point in using them. But this company has $$ to burn, so it's taken them a while. Only last few years have their decisions made economic sense.

yes, Qatar also intends to return their A380s at the end of the leases.

but guess some people still associate A380 with premium airline and higher ses. so some airlines will keep some going.  [:p]

Frankly there is no point to pay for First Class when the Business Class these days is good enough. First Class only for the extremely rich and perhaps status symbol. I wont pay for First Class even if I can afford n that’s not being sour grapes but just practical. As long as u can lie down, I don’t see why need to fly First Class but that’s me.

• Praise 5

thought SG-SDY is 777?

A380 always feel more comfortable

When first launched SQ Business seat also one of the best but others have caught up

agreed, for that distance has to be a twin-aisle aircraft, eg 777, A330.

737 can't do the distance.

agreed, for that distance has to be a twin-aisle aircraft, eg 777, A330.

737 can't do the distance.

777 is ok lah. The toyota of the skies  [:p]

My point is that SIA's emphasis is now on efficiency and less on 'prestige'.

• Praise 1

Don't think will be a small plane like A320 or 737.

As flight to Sydney is about 8hr, I think too long for small plane.

Yah, you're right.

i got confused - the 737 was the connecting flight from Christchurch to Melbourne on our return leg.

can't remember the model we took for SG-Sydney, but it's definitely not the 747 size one. significantly smaller.

777 is ok lah. The toyota of the skies  [:p]

depends hor ... I try to avoid 777-200 flights. planes are > 10 yo and IFE looks like those old VGA screens, heats up and has lines.  :blink:

SQ has quite a few > 10 yo 777-200s in the fleet, I do try to avoid those flights.  [laugh]

↡ Advertisement