Accident Claim haywire by own Workshop?

dnumde

Hi all gurus.

Summary of my case:

Involve in an accident in 2017 and paid up for my own repair first although I am claiming the other party.

2 years on, the Workshop tells me that there is no update on the claim and they will keep my 2k deposit until the other party insurance get back to me.

A more detail write-up

I was being hit by another car (supposingly rented) in June 2017.

So based on my friend's father advise, I went to a Workshop in Woodlands Road to make the claim against the other party.

I am pretty inexperience in this area so I just follow the advice by the Workshop Boss.

He told me that he is an ex-SPF and Hwa Chong grad or something, and all his friends are lawyer etc. So he knows the stuff and will handle it for me.

Long story short, he mentioned that it is a 50-50 case.

In fact the chances of me claiming successfully is not high according to him.

So he requested that I pay him for my own car damage upfront (about $2k) and if the claim is successful, he will refund me the 2k.

In mid 2018, the other party have claimed my insurance.

As for my claim against the other party, the workshop mentioned that there is no update.

Till date, they are still holding on to my 2k.

So I asked the Workshop Boss to email the other party insurance company and get back to me on the status but he refuses and chided me for being ungrateful because he is actually helping me in a 50-50 case.

I explained to him that I am asking him to do so only because I am unable to do so. I have tried getting an update from the other party insurance but they ask me to go through my authorised workshop.

So my question is

1. Is there any way I can get an update on my claim status against the other party without the Workshop?
  2. Is it possible that the Workshop have forgotten to claim the other party it is too late to claim now?

Thanks all.

I am really at a lost now on what to do because the Workshop refuses to assist me yet the other party insurance request that I follow-up with my authorised workshop directly.

↡ Advertisement

Did you check with your own insurance company directly?

Was you the named driver on the insurance policy?

Ride under your name? Premium didn't increased upon renewal?

Lastly any black and white; like form where you signed and doucmemted in how the insurance happened?

Official receipt when you paid 2k?

Edited by Kopites

Lastly any black and white; like form where you signed and doucmemted in how the insurance happened?

I have a feeling no receipt issued  [sweatdrop]

since the other party was able to claim your insurance, seems to me that the case was determined to be your liability by both insurance company.

take the 2k paid as lesson learnt and treat it as paying excess for own damage..

• Praise 1

'In fact the chances of me claiming successfully is not high according to him.

So he requested that I pay him for my own car damage upfront (about $2k) and if the claim is successful, he will refund me the 2k.'

u already say so yourself liao ma.

he repair for u first, u need pay him, he help u claim.

if can claim he pay u back, if cannot claim mean u pay own damage.

2 years no result, and other party claim u , 

it might not even be 50/50 might be 30/70 against u 

some third party claim workshop that i know of, will ask u sign a lawyer letter stating that u willing to go ahead even though they dun have full confidence of the claim, 

after u sign, even if repair 20k but claim fail, u also have to pay own pocket.

u are quite lucky its only 2 k this time.

My alarm would go off when I hear this trumpet

“He told me that he is an ex-SPF and Hwa Chong grad or something, and all his friends are lawyer etc. So he knows the stuff and will handle it for me.”

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

My insurance company says that it is 2 separate claim.

They are only handling the claim by the other party on me.

For my claim on the other party, it is handled by the Workshop.

I am the named driver and the premium did increase in 2019.

I have a receipt stating I paid 2k. But need to go find. Haha.

Actually, when the Boss refuse to get an update for me from the other party insurance company, that is when I became more wary.

Because I just cannot wrap my head around why would he refuse to help me get an update.

I started on this thread because when I was browsing for similar incidence, I come across another thread complaining them as 2nd hand car dealer.

I am fine with paying the 2k.

But I am not ok if I am paying the 2k because he forget to file the claim.

Some of my friend is also suggesting that the claim is successful and that he pocketed both sides. But I am skeptical about this because it seems to be too big a conspiracy.

So my question again is, is there any definitive way I can bypass my authorised workshop and get an update from the other party insurance company?

Actually, when the Boss refuse to get an update for me from the other party insurance company, that is when I became more wary.

Because I just cannot wrap my head around why would he refuse to help me get an update.

I started on this thread because when I was browsing for similar incidence, I come across another thread complaining them as 2nd hand car dealer.

Some of my friend is also suggesting that the claim is successful and that he pocketed both sides. But I am skeptical about this because it seems to be too big a conspiracy.

So my question again is, is there any definitive way I can bypass my authorised workshop and get an update from the other party insurance company?

i suggest u check with the lawyer that help u deal with the claim.

before the work begin, u need sign a lawyer letter. warrent to act or something. 

if u didnt sign any lawyer letter, and he collect 2k from u and say he claim.

then i think its complete kelong

• Praise 1

My assumption is tat the WS did not file the claim on your behalf wother other party insurance company. That probably one of the reason the other party took so long to claim against you after one and half year.

WS probably take the 2k as repair cost for your car. The other party claim against you likely to be settle by your insurance company.

• Praise 1

i suggest u check with the lawyer that help u deal with the claim.

before the work begin, u need sign a lawyer letter. warrent to act or something. 

if u didnt sign any lawyer letter, and he collect 2k from u and say he claim.

then i think its complete kelong

Thanks for the leads.

I dont remember signing it.

Will ask the WS for the lawyer contact now. Thanks!

My assumption is tat the WS did not file the claim on your behalf wother other party insurance company. That probably one of the reason the other party took so long to claim against you after one and half year.

WS probably take the 2k as repair cost for your car. The other party claim against you likely to be settle by your insurance company.

I see. I did not know that no claim will result in delay.

Perhaps that was also why I ended up getting claim by the other party since I did not bring any claim against him.

But yes, the other party claim against me was settled by my own insurance because they send a lawyer to defend against my claim but they have no knowledge if the WS make any claim against the other party.

Why didn't just claim against own insurance policy and pay excess (assuming excess is below $2k). I thought should be either claim third party or claim own insurance? Seems like in this scenario, workshop is dealing direct and not involving insurance?

• Praise 1

Wonder which is the woodlands  WS and which insurance company they tie up with.

Why didn't just claim against own insurance policy and pay excess (assuming excess is below $2k). I thought should be either claim third party or claim own insurance? Seems like in this scenario, workshop is dealing direct and not involving insurance?

Thanks for the leads.

I dont remember signing it.

Will ask the WS for the lawyer contact now. Thanks!

I see. I did not know that no claim will result in delay.

Perhaps that was also why I ended up getting claim by the other party since I did not bring any claim against him.

But yes, the other party claim against me was settled by my own insurance because they send a lawyer to defend against my claim but they have no knowledge if the WS make any claim against the other party.

if didnt sign mean kelong liao.

i just check my 3rd party claim, the form is warrent to act for (name)

must either go lawyer office sign on spot.

or video call to prove u are the 1 that sign, very strict.

frankly after 2 years i doubt u can do anything. other then shame them and share their names....

Edited by Beregond

... Truth is out...

After pressuring him to give me the law firm that act on my behalf, he dropped the bomb...

He say he didnt commence the claim because he "think" it may not succeed...

Now, not only will I not get back my 2k deposit from him, the other part claim against me also ballooned because I did not make any claim against the other party...

Sibei sian...

• Praise 2

... Truth is out...

After pressuring him to give me the law firm that act on my behalf, he dropped the bomb...

Now, not only will I not get back my 2k deposit from him, the other part claim against me also ballooned because I did not make any claim against the other party...

Sibei sian...

ooppps. sorry for your bad luck. looks like the shop was out to gobble this 2k anyway. was just packaged to sound nice.

... Truth is out...

Sibei sian...

I have stated in my earlier post.

Take the 2k as your own repair cost.

Beware of increase in annual premium for the next five years.

Edited by Kopites