• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
8 replies to this topic | 17 praises

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:09 PM

kunipao
  • kunipao
    Neutral Newbie
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi Car Guru,

My 2008 Mazda 3 COE is coming to an end next March. I can't make up my mind should I scrap it or renew another 5 years COE. Millage up to 200K. 

- Me and my wife are currently undergoing the IVF process, so a car is very convenient for going for the appointments. But we can use Grab or taxi too.

- The most important factor that's holding me back from renewing is the condition of my car. Break isn't "tight" anymore, need longer stopping distance. And one and off have battery problem. The type where you turn the ignition and the car just gives a "kik" sound and doesn't start. Need to turn the ignition a couple times for it to start.

- Wonder how much I need to service or change the breaks and fix the battery problem? Another $5K $6K for everything?

- I heard from my friend that car nowadays don't last more than 10 years. After the 10th year you will get more and more problems.

Posted 16 February 2019 - 06:22 PM

Yeshe
  • Premium member
    Yeshe
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi Car Guru,

My 2008 Mazda 3 COE is coming to an end next March. I can't make up my mind should I scrap it or renew another 5 years COE. Millage up to 200K.
- Me and my wife are currently undergoing the IVF process, so a car is very convenient for going for the appointments. But we can use Grab or taxi too.
- The most important factor that's holding me back from renewing is the condition of my car. Break isn't "tight" anymore, need longer stopping distance. And one and off have battery problem. The type where you turn the ignition and the car just gives a "kik" sound and doesn't start. Need to turn the ignition a couple times for it to start.
- Wonder how much I need to service or change the breaks and fix the battery problem? Another $5K $6K for everything?
- I heard from my friend that car nowadays don't last more than 10 years. After the 10th year you will get more and more problems.

Repair n maintenence of mazda3 should be quite OK. Send to a trusted workshop to have it fully checked to see what will be the likely repairs n big ticket items to come. If the car still road worthy for 5years, just renew 5yr coe. Now coe is cheap, better than getting new ride.

Posted 17 February 2019 - 02:51 PM

kunipao
  • kunipao
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Repair n maintenence of mazda3 should be quite OK. Send to a trusted workshop to have it fully checked to see what will be the likely repairs n big ticket items to come. If the car still road worthy for 5years, just renew 5yr coe. Now coe is cheap, better than getting new ride.

Thanks for the reply Yeshe! Most probably I will renew another 5 years then. Your statement about now COE is cheap really struck a chord. 

2 Anonymous members praised this

Posted 17 February 2019 - 03:13 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks for the reply Yeshe! Most probably I will renew another 5 years then. Your statement about now COE is cheap really struck a chord.

Yeshe pay everything full cash ... dont mind him. I help u kick his tyre next time . 🤣
Mercs and 1 Anonymous member praised this
樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:11 PM

Yeshe
  • Premium member
    Yeshe
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Welcome, glad I can be of help.

Yeshe pay everything full cash ... dont mind him. I help u kick his tyre next time . ð¤£

U kick tyre foot not pain? I let u kick until u song next time OK? :D

Posted 17 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

Angcheek
  • Premium member
    Angcheek
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Welcome, glad I can be of help.
U kick tyre foot not pain? I let u kick until u song next time OK? :D

I can take the tyre caps ..... 

TIA  :D

Mercs praised this
樹多總有枯枝,人多總有白痴

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

kunipao
  • kunipao
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Yeshe pay everything full cash ... dont mind him. I help u kick his tyre next time . 🤣

[:p] My grandpa use to say...cash is king!

Posted 17 February 2019 - 08:16 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Brake can send to a mechanic for a check, an old car does not mean would take longer distance to brake
Your start problem more like a starter problem, a recon one will probably cost about $500? Or cheaper..

Edited by Ct3833, 17 February 2019 - 08:16 PM.

Posted 17 February 2019 - 11:28 PM

kunipao
  • kunipao
    Neutral Newbie
    Author Image

Brake can send to a mechanic for a check, an old car does not mean would take longer distance to brake
Your start problem more like a starter problem, a recon one will probably cost about $500? Or cheaper..

Thanks for the advice. Hahaha...that's why was on the fence on renewing COE or not. Got this kind of problem here and there...even though I always diligently bring it for servicing according to the servicing millage. And time to get a car camcorder  [:p]

Previously when braking, especially when it's wet, the brakes will make a 'woo woo' sound, like those lorry when braking. Luckily now not happening anymore for a long time. 

Hopefully it's just starter problem and not some wiring problem.

Back to General Car Discussion  ·  Cars Top Reply to this topic
SgCarMart Quotz

Quick Reply

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users