Singapore motorbike involved in fatal hit n run in Cambodia.

Fcw75

To be fair, we need to hear from both sides. Just put yourself in her shoes. You maybe killed by the villagers even if it is not your fault if they are hostile. If it a small injury, then maybe you have to pay 100 times to settle.

I have experienced in Vietnam and the custom officer are very hostile and rude. Even after realising he is wrong, he acts like he owns the land you are coming thus you just have to bare with it.

However, if she is back home, it is time to speak out even if she is wrong. Keeping quiet will not solve the problem. What is done cannot change.

I think it's just momentary panic and didn't know what to do. You are right that villagers could be hostile, and she could be in immediate danger. To the point that the expensive bike was abandoned there shows the urgency to leave quickly. But now the biker is back in SG, she should make amends and do what's right.

Uniformed officials in third world countries, best not to mess with them [laugh]

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Best "excuse" for silence is denial. She just killed an old man in a foreign land, and as some bros shared, villagers may not be in the mood to act rational so she fled, leaving her bike, the clearest indication that it is the weapon of mass contact with obvious missing part left at scene of accident. A jigsaw piece solved.

But agree that it is wise to surrender to local authority and let the course of justice and hopefully closure come to both parties. It is a life lost. She must be brave now to face the consequence of her action. There may be mitigating factors such as the possibility of the victim coming out unexpectedly and biker was too close to react or stop.

These are conjectures of course but good for her friends to help her do what is right so that she can, in time, move on in life. No point hiding. What happened cant be reversed or erased. Please surrender.

Safe ride guys. Here oso very sad to see bikers taking unnecessary risks to save 1 minute or a few seconds. Gone liao is painful for loved ones.

• Praise 2

Even if the excuse is fear of her life, she should have submitted herself to the next available police post. 

Those in the convoy are all accessories to her crime when they covered up and acted like nothing happened. 

Don't tell me it is a tree branch... This is not a lexus. 

If she is fearful, Sg got no embassy or consulate in Cambodia meh?

The convoy ppl not suspicious if she "forgot" to bring her expensive bmw bike back to sg meh?

The outrage shld be no different from the Romanian diplomat who killed someone in Bt Panjang and then run road

• Praise 4

Wonder whether Singapore police will help the Cambodian authorities?

If we don't have an extradition treaty with Cambodia, nothing Singapore Police can do since the alleged crime is not in our jurisdiction.  

• Praise 1

The convoy ppl not suspicious if she "forgot" to bring her expensive bmw bike back to sg meh?

The outrage shld be no different from the Romanian diplomat who killed someone in Bt Panjang and then run road

cannot run 1. i doubt sg gov will cover her also.

If we don't have an extradition treaty with Cambodia, nothing Singapore Police can do since the alleged crime is not in our jurisdiction.  

As there is a fatality involved, I don't think MFA can buat bodoh if Cambodia ask for justice

• Praise 1

Just returned from Siem Reap,Cambodia earlier this month.

Remember vividly the state of traffic over there.....traffic lights and signs are few and far in between, and all of them are just a friendly "suggestion" from the way my driver, the cars/vans/lorries and motorcyclist seem to be taking them. Red light at junction does not seem to be a sign for them to stop.

The surprising thing is how each of the road user just move across junctions and turns smoothly without honking or cursing. All will just slow down and ready to give way to each other.

Further out in the more rural areas, the driver might drive faster but when it comes to looking out for crossing cattles or villagers by slowing down, they are still very much up there in the alertness department. 

Whenever I drive overseas, I make sure I follow the local road use culture...IF  I am not sure I can follow the culture such as in "messy" road traffic places like Thailand/Indo/Combodia, I will rather pay a local driver to drive me around.

Nobody wants to deliberately cause injury or death to another person, that is why everyone have to be a responsible road user. But when an unfortunate accident happens, running away from responsibility, foresaking the chance to potentially save another human being is the pits in human decency.

Best "excuse" for silence is denial. She just killed an old man in a foreign land, and as some bros shared, villagers may not be in the mood to act rational so she fled, leaving her bike, the clearest indication that it is the weapon of mass contact with obvious missing part left at scene of accident. A jigsaw piece solved.

But agree that it is wise to surrender to local authority and let the course of justice and hopefully closure come to both parties. It is a life lost. She must be brave now to face the consequence of her action. There may be mitigating factors such as the possibility of the victim coming out unexpectedly and biker was too close to react or stop.

These are conjectures of course but good for her friends to help her do what is right so that she can, in time, move on in life. No point hiding. What happened cant be reversed or erased. Please surrender.

Safe ride guys. Here oso very sad to see bikers taking unnecessary risks to save 1 minute or a few seconds. Gone liao is painful for loved ones.

• Praise 5

I don't think anyone here can agree that when you hit someone in an accident you should run away leaving him dead. However, the situation in each incident can differs a lot. If you will be killed, staying back will not help the victim too. It just add another life.

Let's be patience and see what happen.

As there is a fatality involved, I don't think MFA can buat bodoh if Cambodia ask for justice

They will need to send her back to Cambodia if Cambodia request for it. Wonder what is the punishment for her over there?

Just returned from Siem Reap,Cambodia earlier this month.

Remember vividly the state of traffic over there.....traffic lights and signs are few and far in between, and all of them are just a friendly "suggestion" from the way my driver, the cars/vans/lorries and motorcyclist seem to be taking them. Red light at junction does not seem to be a sign for them to stop.

The surprising thing is how each of the road user just move across junctions and turns smoothly without honking or cursing. All will just slow down and ready to give way to each other.

Further out in the more rural areas, the driver might drive faster but when it comes to looking out for crossing cattles or villagers by slowing down, they are still very much up there in the alertness department.

Whenever I drive overseas, I make sure I follow the local road use culture...IF I am not sure I can follow the culture such as in "messy" road traffic places like Thailand/Indo/Combodia, I will rather pay a local driver to drive me around.

Nobody wants to deliberately cause injury or death to another person, that is why everyone have to be a responsible road user. But when an unfortunate accident happens, running away from responsibility, foresaking the chance to potentially save another human being is the pits in human decency.

If only she had the foresight or insight to know the traffic behaviour over there.

But human nature can "shut down" and denial sets in. Machiam hoping that it was all a bad dream.

Still, it is not right to just hit and run. Let us hope she has a little drop of conscience mixed with human decency coursing thru her blood. Above all, that she will not do anything silly but be really brave to face the music.

Safe ride

Cheers

• Praise 1

They will need to send her back to Cambodia if Cambodia request for it. Wonder what is the punishment for her over there?

SG got no extradition treaty with them, can dont send her back.

I mean the convoy people, what they going to do? bao tou her? I think quite difficult when you're not even sure what happened (unless u were there at the scene of the accident).

Probably just have a lot of question marks floating around your head, but just keep your mouth zip right.

I am in 2 minds about her being sent back. Basically stems from 2 fears :

1. Will she be subject to unnecessary torment or torture if say, she is jailed?

2. Is her life in danger as someone can pay another someone to have her shot or killed? Ok, this one is from watching too much tv serials on how some prisons practise jungle laws to exact revenge.

If above are strong possibilities, i am inclined to have her face the music here on our local laws if their laws are vague or not so defined. But she must have licence burnt and wiser not to return to Cambodia forever. Monetary compensation may come into play for the deceased's family.

That's my tots ah. Neither the power nor the decision maker is me so just for discussion ya. No need to call down fire and lightning upon me ah. Heaven oso not so free.

• Praise 2

What irony.... 

She is there to help or kill? 

Hit and run some more..... Puii <_<

I think for me I would withheld my comments until investigation is done

nobody is prepared or make preparation for an accident, let alone knocking someone down

face with sudden massive load of "emotions", unforeseen circumstances, fear etc, many don't know how to react

if you are in a foreign land what should you do?

Let me give you an example, if you travel to Malaysia into a village and you drive over a chicken, you stop to see if the chicken is alive, the entire village will come out to demand compensation which may be unreasonable or even bash you up for killing their prize chicken

in third world countries like Cambodia Laos and etc, many citizens take law into their own hands

if you unintentionally knock down some one and kill the person

you stop and render assistance, good chance you may be bashed or even be killed

it is like Singapore even without proper discuss on water issue, the ordinary Singaporeans already bashing Malaysians and even want to start a war with Malaysia.

so before anyone jump to conclusion

put yourself in that person's shoes

ideally the decent thing is to stop and render assistance

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 8