Have u heard of Hygge?

Scion

hygge
/ˈh(j)uːɡə,ˈhʊɡə/

noun

a quality of cosiness and comfortable conviviality that engenders a feeling of contentment or well-being (regarded as a defining characteristic of Danish culture).

basically, it means relaxation or cosiness, whether alone or with family, loved ones or group of good friends

all these can be associated with hygge - soft pillows, jazz or some soothing music, hot chocolate, sipping coffee, comfort food, fireplace, books, etc etc (no wonder Denmark always rank high in happiness :D)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pl74ybpyNLk

in Singapore context, lying comfortably in the couch with a beer watching football at midnight can be considered hygge too? :D

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

For some of us, the closest I think is stay at home and nuah. A state of extreme inertia.

Edited by Ender
  • Praise 2

There is no such thing as hygge in Singapore.

We cant afford such culture.

Not in terms of money nor time nor attitude.

can lah... if got money, sipping red wine at a penthouse admiring the night scenery of the city area also considered hygge :D

wah.... you all sibeh rich

i peasant sit in kopitiam sip kopi in singlet slippers and shorts, 1 leg on the chair and dig nose

wait for beer xmm call me 嗨哥

• Praise 1

singapore weather move a bit perspire like shower how to feel cozy? 

want to hug hug touch touch feel sticky sticky also no mood liao. 

Sure we have "hygge" here, we just need to stop a while and appreciate it.

Waking up early on Saturday morning to do my own thing, precious time to spend on myself, at a time when rest of family still snoozing away, no interrupting me [laugh]

Taking leave on weekdays to do my own thing, without informing anyone, so nobody interrupts me, and being a weekday, no crowds no queues no jams!

And long long ago, when there was still five-and-half day working week, coming to work on a Saturday morning was actually quite "hygge" feeling. Still young and single at that time, unburdened by family demands, enjoying after-work lunch with similar-age and status close colleagues and planning what to do with the remaining weekend.

I don't know how true it is for the Danes, but many of the things they associate with "hygge", i.e. cosy conviviality, enjoying time together with others, is being eroded by the ever-present smartphones. Everyone's staring and interacting with their smartphones nowadays most of the time.

Edited by Sosaria
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3