Door falls onto woman at Alexandra Central Mall

Yamapi

Damn.

Serious.

The rescuers did all the wrong things except lifting the door off her.

Human nature to evacuate from danger.

Please next time in these situation if can dont move the injured. Dont move.

Moving can aggravate the injuries severely and cause death that would not have happened.

Kudos to those who extended their helping hand though.

Remember to NOT move the injured if area is safe.

Provide support until the paramedics arrive.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 17

Such accident is no joking matter, the door by itself is already super heavy (need 2 men just to move it), coupled with the velocity and angle of fall, for the victim, it is like being strike by ~150 - 200 kg load!! It will already be very lucky if she did not when into coma (with sever inner bleed).

Am glad to see people in the video all rushing forward to help, and none taking photo / video instead. Kudos to them! :a-good::a-good: We need more of these hero around on our sunny island.

Pray for her full recovery. 1 more lesson learnt from this incident, stay way from swing door and always maintain highest level of situation awareness, especially for those with young children. Agreed that it would be almost a fatal case if the incident happen on a toddler.

Come to think of it how to be safe? Swing door/sliding door/lift door accident can happen. I don't think stay away from swing door would help or adequate in term of safety awareness.

Parent with young kids please hold them tight and keep to your side. If unfortunate event like this happened at least your physical size can shield your kids. Dont let them run about..

• Praise 7

sure kena sack, cause this went viral and their mall is already almost empty, nobody dares to go anymore  [laugh]

No sacking. Because of the video I will be bringing my MIL there this weekend.

What great advertising.

:D  

If accidents can be prevented it wouldn't be call an accident.

Accidents can be prevented when maintenance ppl do a proper job. Like in this case.

Snap her neck I think is unlikely. What is worrying should be blood hemorrhaging in the brain or swelling in the brain which can cause temp insanity and may fall into a coma, damaging the brain as a result.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 4

The lady is damn suay!  If only she had not open the right leave of the door before it closed completely, she would not have been the victim. 

Hope she is not too seriously injured and have a speedy recovery!

This look like a scene from Final Destination

The guy actually pull the door open and it didn't come loose, but yet it came totally unhinged after that and collapse down.

Edited by Icedbs
  • Praise 1

No sacking. Because of the video I will be bringing my MIL there this weekend.

What great advertising.

:D

Perhaps should create a thread for Jamesc : Dangerous places of interest for Jamesc mil
  • Praise 6

something wrong with my eyes ... at first i thought the title read as "Doc falls onto woman...."

but later saw the same thing on stomp then realize i saw wrongly ... then now see the video and see the actual force .... damn !! i feel for the woman !! 

Just like our own wardrobe doors the screws become a little loose after many years of continuous opening/ closing and slamming ( especially those in public places) and steel to steel is even more prone unlike wood to steel to wood the anchoring is more tight somehow because it’s solid and metal is hollow , I realized .... maybe they got to now use those kind of putty or epoxy paint to prevent the screws from becoming loose , similarly used in watches ( winding and automatic )...... this one @carbon82 our in house safety geek can advice

Edited by BanCoe
  • Praise 5

Just like our own wardrobe doors the screws become a little loose after many years of continuous opening/ closing and slamming ( especially those in public places) and steel to steel is even more prone unlike wood to steel to wood the anchoring is more tight somehow because itâs solid and metal is hollow , I realized .... maybe they got to now use those kind of putty or epoxy paint to prevent the screws from becoming loose , similarly used in watches ( winding and automatic )...... this one @carbon82 our in house safety geek can advice

Office cupboard door also same. The screws might become loose and might come out. I have experience before when i opened the metal cupboard in my office and it drop off and hit me slightly!

Just like our own wardrobe doors the screws become a little loose after many years of continuous opening/ closing and slamming ( especially those in public places) and steel to steel is even more prone unlike wood to steel to wood the anchoring is more tight somehow because it’s solid and metal is hollow , I realized .... maybe they got to now use those kind of putty or epoxy paint to prevent the screws from becoming loose , similarly used in watches ( winding and automatic )...... this one @carbon82 our in house safety geek can advice

From the video, this is a fire rated door for compartmentalisation purpose. If you look closely, when the doors swing closed after the man enters, the left door alignment already out. Therefore when the right door swings in, it hits the left panel causing it to fall.

Quite likely, the door was not properly secured and have been removed recently. The system requires the top pin to sits into the slot in the top door frame. It is likely they didn't ensure the pin sits into the slot but just in the frame. That is my guess. For such doors, they shoukd not let general workers do the job. So unfortunate. 

• Praise 3

went there a few times and the door always seems noisy when opening and closing.

I believe the weight is attributed to the shattered proof glass. 

But the safety officer and maintenance crew will kanna. 

wonder whats the law like in the event there is negligence of the service or the contractor who made the door. 

• Praise 2

Just like our own wardrobe doors the screws become a little loose after many years of continuous opening/ closing and slamming ( especially those in public places) and steel to steel is even more prone unlike wood to steel to wood the anchoring is more tight somehow because itâs solid and metal is hollow , I realized .... maybe they got to now use those kind of putty or epoxy paint to prevent the screws from becoming loose , similarly used in watches ( winding and automatic )...... this one @carbon82 our in house safety geek can advice

This mall quite new right?
↡ Advertisement