Full spec airbags for all PHV/Taxi

dannychoy84

No matter how stringent, at the end of the day its about the driver attitude. No amount of training or points can make up for bad attitude. Attitude is ingrained in a person character.

I think having a more stringent driving licence standard with regular refresher requirement along with less yearly renewed driver improvement points for Taxi/PHV drivers are much more effective in improving overall passenger and road safety for everyone.

↡ Advertisement

Supersonic

Taxi ?

They don't even need to carry child seat.

LTA say bcuz they are a public service.

How about all bus passengers must be seated and wear seatbelt ?

And include MRT passengers too.

Grab and Gojek cars need child seats to take children below 1.35m . This is double standard. Anyway whats the vehicle difference between a Grab Prius and SMRT Prius? Why one need child seats and the other do not need child seats?

Taxi ?

They don't even need to carry child seat.

LTA say bcuz they are a public service.

How about all bus passengers must be seated and wear seatbelt ?

And include MRT passengers too.

(edited)

I advocate Taxi/PHV should be regulated to have equipped with a minimum in-car safety standard. To me, it is their very basic social responsibility to make sure the car is as safe as possible.

As public transport, shouldn't they have responsibility to the safety for their passengers? Everytime a taxi/PHV involved in an accident, the driver is the only one responsible. Shouldn't the Taxi/PHV rental companies have responsibility?

Full spec SRS is the most basic one. Why they are not equipped with full SRS specs? Are they really not affordable with Singapore standard of living?

Most passengers sit at the back seat. Curtain airbags could have saved life and avoid serious injuries, including the Commonwealth Avenue West accident at 19 Apr 2018, should the taxi was equipped with curtain airbag.

(To the victim family,

Sorry to bring up this painful lost. My thought is with the young lady. My intention is to do something to prevent similar incident in future.)

Most of them are equipped nowadays, except for a few older ones running around like i30s/Epicas/Sonatas(most are scrapped?)/Optimas.etc  Airbags are pointless if the rear passengers don't even bother to buckle themselves up. You still see a lot these days. 

Edited by Holdenutessv

Not to mention, some cars have intelligent systems, i.e. if they do not detect the seat belt being buckled, the corresponding airbag for that location will not deploy in the event of collision.

Totally agree. Most important startoff should be attitude fr driver & passengers.

No car would be the safest car in the hands of a dangerous or reckless driver.

No car would be the safest car for passenger when they refused to even use the longest & most basic safety belt.

Stats hv shown that safety belts is the first safety precaution that can prevent lotsa accident.

The vast additional safety features thou hv bcum almost if not a must are vastly improved safety features.

It doesnt mean that with all added & modern safety features, one no longer need to put on seatbelt.

Same goes for driver, doesnt mean we can rely on all modern features that we can even not look into our mirrors when changing lanes for eg.

Most of them are equipped nowadays, except for a few older ones running around like i30s/Epicas/Sonatas(most are scrapped?)/Optimas.etc  Airbags are pointless if the rear passengers don't even bother to buckle themselves up. You still see a lot these days. 

Any evidence or studies airbags are pointless if passengers don't buckle up?

I do agree, we need multiple regulations other than full spec airbags to effectively protect people in an accident. But have different  understand airbag will still improve chance of survival without seat belt.

Most accidents along the roads are due to speeding, abrupt lane change or tail-gating.

And sometimes all this happened due to selfish and inconsiderate road hoggers.

(edited)

Any evidence or studies airbags are pointless if passengers don't buckle up?

I do agree, we need multiple regulations other than full spec airbags to effectively protect people in an accident. But have different  understand airbag will still improve chance of survival without seat belt.

There's lots of sources on the net if you read it up. They're meant to work hand in hand with seat belts. Eg. In a rollover, it's like a washing machine, what makes you think side airbags would help. Even in a side impact, let's just say you're saved by the curtain airbag from direct impact, but how about the rebound motion? They don't deploy both sides, you're most likely gonna hit the other side of the vehicle. In both cases, sure your survival rate might be higher but why take the risk? Don't talk about the frontal collision, you'll be injuring yourself and the person/driver whom is seated directly in front of you. My point still stands, wear the darn seat belt.

:a-no:  

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Holdenutessv

I advocate Taxi/PHV should be regulated to have equipped with a minimum in-car safety standard. To me, it is their very basic social responsibility to make sure the car is as safe as possible.

As public transport, shouldn't they have responsibility to the safety for their passengers? Everytime a taxi/PHV involved in an accident, the driver is the only one responsible. Shouldn't the Taxi/PHV rental companies have responsibility?

Full spec SRS is the most basic one. Why they are not equipped with full SRS specs? Are they really not affordable with Singapore standard of living?

Most passengers sit at the back seat. Curtain airbags could have saved life and avoid serious injuries, including the Commonwealth Avenue West accident at 19 Apr 2018, should the taxi was equipped with curtain airbag.

(To the victim family,

Sorry to bring up this painful lost. My thought is with the young lady. My intention is to do something to prevent similar incident in future.)

Why not roll cage too right?

Supersonic

That's why must support ADs that just put 6 airbags in everything now.

And Subaru/MI has eyesight in every model?

Unfortunately, given our market, safety package as standard will take years to implement as it's currently reserved for top tier trims.

But it's kinda hard to choose a taxi vs a PHV based on airbag choices. Unless it becomes an active part of a customer feedback or whether they will choose to take another providers vehicle.

Can't fully blame the ADs. Coz many car buyers still think they hv an invisible force field around them and are accident-proof.

If the ADs can earn a few extra bucks off this ignorance n LTA close both eyes to safety, what do we expect?

↡ Advertisement