Illegal floor found in industrial building

Stooky

(edited)

Owner is a developer and he don't know it's against the law?

I read the article, the developer is Chiu Teng and the current owner is a real estate fund which leased the unit to a related company.

The owner obviously knows it is illegal, hence the claim that it is for storage only, meaning temporary, but if you looked at the pictures in the 151th, it is obvious they are cheating.

This is very common in many condos, many PES and penthouse owners try to increase their usable space by building "temporary" structure that are essentially permanent ones but the authority has closed one eye so far, so long as it is not too glaring and invites complaints.

Edited by Voodooman
↡ Advertisement

batman has the whole building to himself, he can build whatever he wants [laugh]

batman go underground lah. where got building.

• Praise 1

batman has the whole building to himself, he can build whatever he wants [laugh]

Hypersonic

Ya, that's right for batman is underground. I understand that this is VR man's.

Twincharged

From the description it would seem the owner built his own mezzanine floor in his 6.5m high 8th floor unit. Not really building a 9th floor on top of his 8th floor unit.

Still that's not allowed, unless there is approval from relevant authorities..

Turbocharged

For Industrial anyway mezzanine is permitted so long as it meets the MCST requirements and is permitted for storage only. The mezzanine unit itself cannot be bolted against the structure of the building and must depend on its own support (legs), using license contractor also need to ensure the required fire proofing is done below the mezzanine.

http://www.uns.com.sg/mezzanine-racking-system.html

For weight it depends but usually the industrial facilities floors are rated to hold 12.5 kN/m2 and upwards, assuming the mezzanine uses it own legs for support and meets the relevant weight limit it wouldn't compromise the building structure.

Of course if inspectors comes and find a full fledged office sure kanna sai  [laugh]

• Praise 8

This might be just tip of the iceberg...

While I strongly condemn such illegal construction, which put its occupants and general public at risk, I am wondering if we should also look into the various policies and regulations that might directly or indirectly lead to such behavior.

I came across a particular case of illegally constructed mezzanine floor for good storage before. Dangerous, irresponsible, unethical, cheapo, etc. etc. are the words that will pop up in most people mind, and I am no exception. But when I explore further, the mezzanine floor fulfilled all applicable legal requirement, such as having sprinkler and detector coverage, properly compartmentalized (with suitable fire rated walls & doors), structurally sound (verified by Professional Engineer), etc.

So why was it deemed an illegal construction? Because the mezzanine floor was not reflected in the official building plan. It would have exceeded the GFA (Gross Floor Area) requirement stipulated by the relevant authority (BCA & URA), if the building owner was to include it in the building plan submission!

For those that want to know what happen thereafter: The mezzanine floor was subsequently demolished just to meet the GFA requirement.

Disclaimer: I am NOT in any way, supporting such illegal construction. The above is purely for sharing and discussion purpose.

Because the Authority didn't earn anything out of that additional floor.. So they deem it illegal.. hahaha. 

• Praise 3

Because the Authority didn't earn anything out of that additional floor.. So they deem it illegal.. hahaha. 

floor space = property tax is 1 issue , that is very true.

but safety wise, even more issue,

more often then not, when u make a 2nd floor, the lower floor, they didnt install fire sprinker ( from what i see )

other issue like wiring etc, some do until very professional very nice.

but some is waiting for accident to happen.

not to mention extra weight. although all of our industrial build for extra safety and load bearing.

some trade like 1 of my neighbour that deal with high quality stainless steel.

he can only use ground floor, 

cos his whole unit full of steel,

will over weight if go upper floor.

(ppl alway think its impossible to over weight, but its possible )

• Praise 1

Grassroot leader macham all like knn one

Oi, grassroots leader supposed to represent peasant people. Like that you say all peasants macham all like knn one liao. [laugh]
  • Praise 2

Supercharged

True.. just thought the news report a bit exaggerated.. as if got 9th level above 8th floor.. anyway this case is more jialat cos the extra mezzanine floor is a domitory for workers..

Aiya, this is not news. Industrial estates are the best locations for doing things that cannot see light. And the good thing is after business hours there's literally nobody around to make any comprains.

When MIW just focus on the Oppo ..... they didnt realise when Cat is not looking , the Rat come out and play.... 

Grassroot is useless to the citizen except making the people to eat grass . Just some local biz man trying to get connection to G tender or biz. 

• Praise 7

(edited)

When MIW just focus on the Oppo ..... they didnt realise when Cat is not looking , the Rat come out and play....

Grassroot is useless to the citizen except making the people to eat grass . Just some local biz man trying to get connection to G tender or biz.

Lol! You really is 打(Pak) 啊(Ah) 打(Pak) [laugh] Edited by Mason016