Not many people had been here before

carloverguy2017

Turbocharged

The old punggol road stretched from upper serangoon road .. boh liao. Maybe about 2% will be preserved into heritage walk ? 

the whole stretch of road is punggol road, the old punggol road will be from the waterway park to the end only. 

Edited by Dafansu
↡ Advertisement

I really miss the old Punggol  [bigcry]  [bigcry]

The old punggol road started at just after around hougang area at the  Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and wound through sengkang.

Bus number 81? that used to go punggol end.

My mum grew up on punggol road. My grandparents farm was still there until 1984/1985.

Hmm .. the "Old Punggol Road" today, originally started from Upp Serangoon Rd leh. The Punggol Rd today amongst the HDB estate is not the old Punggol Rd. Only a small part of it remains today as "Old Punggol Rd".

There used to be a 4-5 storey block of HDB flats that marked the start of old punggol road. That was one thing i remembered distinctly.

According to my parents, since demolished.

I used to take bus to my grandparents farm which is probably at the current buangkok or western sengkang area.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Hmm .. the "Old Punggol Road" today, originally started from Upp Serangoon Rd leh. The Punggol Rd today amongst the HDB estate is not the old Punggol Rd. Only a small part of it remains today as "Old Punggol Rd".

don't think there's a street named as Old punggol road, generally most people named it Old to refer to the ending part of punggol to define it from the Hougang side.

Jog here often, some photos before they closed this road late last year. 

Last Photo - This is the New Punggol Road (official street name) with dedicated cycling track. No housing yet. 

post-7510-0-23354200-1552270793_thumb.jpg

post-7510-0-11360000-1552270799_thumb.jpg

post-7510-0-12322500-1552270802_thumb.jpg

post-7510-0-67337500-1552270860_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dafansu

Turbocharged

Punggol Road and the New Punggol Road - photo from onemap

The cut off portion or maybe the ending part near the punggol settlement they may just rename it to Old Punggol Road. 

post-7510-0-95679800-1552271178_thumb.png

Ya .. as far as I recall, that church was also where the old Montfort School was. It was the start of the old Punggol Road.

yup. My cousins went to monfort.

It's the church that is last part of hougang, then there's like a area of maybe 1km of just grassland/lallang with only that small estate of few blocks of HDB 4 storey flats. Then it becomes the narrow 2 lane road with trees surrounding it that is the proper old punggol road.

Till maybe few years ago, i was always wondering where those flats are in hougang area. Sometimes when i drive around hougang, i will just look out for it.

But later my parents told me it was torn down many years ago.

Turbocharged

There's no official street name Old Punggol Road if i'm not wrong? U can't find in the street directory. they simply named this long stretch as Punggol Road.

punggol-road-milestone-map-1930s.jpg

Actually it was my first time into Coney Island after it was renovated.

I was there maybe 30 years ago with the OBS special course where we canoe around the island and camp solo at the island.

I rode on my bike and followed the normal open path hence I didn't explore anything besides the beach and the trees.

I also saw the OBS site but it says No Trespassing. 

Intend to ride there again with ample time next trip as I am worried I will be locked inside the island after 7 pm

For those whom I've wasted their 3 minutes , pai say haha.. 

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Intend to ride there again with ample time next trip as I am worried I will be locked inside the island after 7 pm

the ranger will start going around the island on his motorbike at 645pm to chase people out :D

The old punggol road started at just after around hougang area at the Church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary and wound through sengkang.

Bus number 81? that used to go punggol end.

My mum grew up on punggol road. My grandparents farm was still there until 1984/1985.

There used to be a 4-5 storey block of HDB flats that marked the start of old punggol road. That was one thing i remembered distinctly.

According to my parents, since demolished.

I used to take bus to my grandparents farm which is probably at the current buangkok or western sengkang area.

I missed those 4-5 blocks of old flats because I could watch fireworks in the city from my house till they were torn down for rebuild. I can only see water tanks now...

In my honest opinion.. I think Coney Island is not very appealing anymore.

2 reasons :

1. It's not looking like an island anymore due to the fact that I don't have to swim or row a boat there.

2. It's more like a PCN trail / path rather than a island / wilderness etc.

Although it is still pretty much nature,but the paved trails and cement, fences and structures, all give clues to a man made place now.

I can bluntly say, this Coney Island is now a connector piece of land to join Lorong Halus and Punggol. That's about it.

Without Coney Island, we could also build a bridge. or man made road.

simple.

It is a shame.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2