• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
26 replies to this topic | 52 praises

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:14 PM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Hi, I am trying to replace my  kitchen sink mixer tap(faucet) , first is i need to be able to unscrew the hexagon nut before i could complete the replacement process till eventually tighten the hexagon nut again. 

The problem is the hexagon nut is very big, not the normal cold water faucet nut that i can use the normal sleeve wrench to open it. Any clue would  be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails

• Faucet.JPG
  • sleeve wrench.jpg

Sdf4786k praised this

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:18 PM

Thaiyotakamli
  • Premium member
    Thaiyotakamli
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

Go buy this, plumber tool

Attached Thumbnails

• 55C34F83-3DA8-40D9-A0B7-31BB672B3566.jpeg

Dont get confused between my personality & my attitude...

My personality is who I am...

My attitude depends on who you are...

Posted 11 March 2019 - 11:44 PM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

You'll need a pipe wrench of the correct size. That, you have to find a way to measure or just try different sizes.

The longer wrench may be useful. Mustafa sells them.

They come with a hole for you to insert a rod to tighten/loosen.

The hex end can also be used for tightening/loosening.

Ct3833 praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 06:33 AM

Ysc3
  • Premium member
    Ysc3
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

i used a regular medium sized adjustable spanner when i replaced my taps ... although not much space to turn, but i just need to loosen it enough for my to turn it with my fingers.

Ct3833 praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 07:09 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Go buy this, plumber tool

Thanks, I have this but not enough space, the gap behind the sink is too deep and too narrow, plus unable to grip properly as well.

You'll need a pipe wrench of the correct size. That, you have to find a way to measure or just try different sizes.
The longer wrench may be useful. Mustafa sells them.
They come with a hole for you to insert a rod to tighten/loosen.
The hex end can also be used for tightening/loosening.

Thank you. I have a one foot pipe wrench , it fits cold water tap but too small for mixer type, I will go Mustafa to take a look.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:34 AM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Hi, I am trying to replace my  kitchen sink mixer tap(faucet) , first is i need to be able to unscrew the hexagon nut before i could complete the replacement process till eventually tighten the hexagon nut again. 

The problem is the hexagon nut is very big, not the normal cold water faucet nut that i can use the normal sleeve wrench to open it. Any clue would  be appreciated.

I know your problem.

You need a longer reach piece. AND make sure it fits. Else u may end up rounding the mixer .

The other way is to get a long screw driver that is suitable to clear the working space. Insert it into the hole to twist it.

Mine was really bad till I had to borrow a torque driver to drive out the nut.

Ct3833 and Thaiyotakamli praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 08:35 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Now I know who arethe DIY folks in MCF, THAIYOTAKAMLI, Kb27, Ysc3 and sdf4786k.
Thanks to all of you.

Edited by Ct3833, 12 March 2019 - 08:43 AM.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:03 AM

Victor68
  • Premium member
    Victor68
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

TS, your 2nd pic shows you already got the tool. You just need a screw driver to push through the holes to turn it. 

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:16 AM

Patwong
  • Premium member
    Patwong
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Can this help? Adjustable basin wrench. Not sure the mouth wide enough for your case.

Product: https://www.lazada.s...96-s278031.html

Edited by Patwong, 12 March 2019 - 09:19 AM.

Ct3833 and Freeder praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:21 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Can this help? Adjustable basin wrench. Not sure the mouth wide enough for your case.

Thanks. Looks viable. I will try to look for a pipe wrench that could fit first before I explore this one.
Kopites praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:23 AM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Get one side bigger "Sleeve wrench". You can find them at those traditional or hardware shop doing basin/plumbing not those homefix in shopping mall.

Jalan besar you can find them.

Alternately try use rubberband (not condom) to go round the edge in loop. See whether can get any grip to lossen the nut.
Ct3833 praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:40 AM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Everyone so helpful here but everyone miss out the important question!

Is it a gold plated tap or gold coloured tap? Your toilet bowl gold plated as well?
Beregond praised this

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:41 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Get one side bigger "Sleeve wrench". You can find them at those traditional or hardware shop doing basin/plumbing not those homefix in shopping mall.

Jalan besar you can find them.

Alternately try use rubberband (not condom) to go round the edge in loop. See whether can get any grip to lossen the nut.

Thanks. My hand could not reach the nut because the sink is quite deep and the gap is very small. The previous owner installed the coffee shop style sink. Anyway I will look for suitable wrench now that I have so many valuable feedback from the bros here. Thanks all.

Edited by Ct3833, 12 March 2019 - 09:43 AM.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:42 AM

Jman888
  • Jman888

i call a plumber   [laugh]  [laugh]

骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:48 AM

Kopites
  • Kopites
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Thanks. My hand could not reach the nut because the sink is quite deep and the gap is very small. I dont know why the previous owner install the coffee shop style sink. Anyway I will look for suitable wrench now that I have so many valuable feedback from the bros here. Thanks all.

Coffee shop style sink and you want to replace with gold plated tap!

You are hilarious like Mustank. Testing distill water on steam iron. And now you...a gold plated tap on coffee shop style sink!

Can't stop laughing...sorry
Bring along your gold plated tap to those traditional hardware shop. They should be able to help you.

Edited by Kopites, 12 March 2019 - 09:45 AM.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 09:56 AM

Ct3833
  • Ct3833
    NOS-ed
    Author Image

Coffee shop style sink and you want to replace with gold plated tap!

You are hilarious like Mustank. Testing distill water on steam iron. And now you...a gold plated tap on coffee shop style sink!

Can't stop laughing...sorry
Bring along your gold plated tap to those traditional hardware shop. They should be able to help you.

Haha please dont laugh. Not gold tap but I am just taking a sample photo from internet. It is a sink in the wet kitchen or back yard, so it is like kopi shop style lah.

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:06 AM

serenade
  • Premium member
    serenade
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Last resort when nothing to lose. Use a hammer to tap the old faucet on the tip clockwise while holding/blocking the nut below. This will sufficiently loosen till can finger unscrew.

I had to do this to replace a faucet that was leaking, and the hexagon nut below was corroded. I could not get any grip using wrench and the rust had acted as glue. Hammering from top had the effect of unscrewing from bottom. 

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:15 AM

Patwong
  • Premium member
    Patwong
    4th Gear
    Author Image

Suggest to get the adjustable basin wrench as shown in earlier post.

Had one at home. Got it at a traditonal hardware shop.

Seldom used as dont change water tap often. But very handy when needed.

Dont have to twist back, twist neck, hand to change water tap. [rolleyes]

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:19 AM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Basin wrench [thumbsup]

Posted 12 March 2019 - 11:39 AM

Kb27
  • Premium member
    Kb27
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I have the adjustable jaw (basin wrench) wrench, but it's flimsy and difficult to use.

In tight space, you have to keep holding the jaw or turning it over, if you find it going in the wrong direction.

What you need is a fixed diameter socket that don't open up at the wrong time, while you're trying to move the tool.

I'm not sure the correct name, but it seems to be called shower socket wrench.

This is the best for tight space and you can exert plenty of torque.

Edited by Kb27, 12 March 2019 - 11:39 AM.

Back to Men's Hobby  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: faucet, undersink, tap, mixer and 2 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users