• Search this thread
  • Reply to this topic
11 replies to this topic | 7 praises

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:45 AM

Sdf4786k
  • Premium member
    Sdf4786k
    NOS-ed
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

https://ksn.news/world/6296/

https://www.reuters....r-idUSKCN1QM0EU

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam’s prime minister has called for “drastic measures” to fight the spread of African swine fever in the Southeast Asian country, state media reported on Tuesday.

The highly contagious disease, which is incurable in pigs but harmless to humans, has spread rapidly across neighboring China since August, and has been found in seven areas in Vietnam, the state-run Vietnam News Service reported.

“We should combat the epidemic as if we are fighting against the enemy,” Phuc said in a meeting with regional officials on Monday, according to Tuesday’s report, which said Phuc had called for “drastic measures” from the “whole political system” to fight the disease.

From Feb. 1 to March 3, the fever was found in 202 households in seven cities or provinces in northern Vietnam, including in the capital, Hanoi, Vietnam’s government website reported.

Over 4,300 pigs have been infected and destroyed because of the virus, the website said, citing data from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Vietnam produced 3.82 million tonnes of pork in 2018, equivalent to 72 percent of the country’s entire meat production, up 2.2 percent from 2017, the report said.

The virus started to spread at some locations around Hanoi during last week’s summit between U.S. President Donald Trump, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, after the first confirmed cases of the disease in Vietnam were found in three farms in Thai Binh and Hung Yen provinces.

Pork accounts for three-quarters of total meat consumption in Vietnam, a country of 95 million people where most of its 30 million farm-raised pigs are consumed domestically.

Looks like I need to go cold turkey on Pork..

[:p]

Wonder why I dont see a HSA advisory on this.

Beregond praised this

Posted 14 March 2019 - 10:51 AM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    The points of the user determines the rank. The higher the points, the higher the rank.
    Author Image
    The bar represents the rank and points of the user. The longer the bar, the higher the rank and points.

Points are accumulated from other users who Praise or Disliked this users' posts.

It's in china, HK and now, apparently vietnam.

Our pork is indonesian or Australia mah. 

https://ksn.news/world/6296/

https://www.reuters....r-idUSKCN1QM0EU

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam’s prime minister has called for “drastic measures” to fight the spread of African swine fever in the Southeast Asian country, state media reported on Tuesday.

The highly contagious disease, which is incurable in pigs but harmless to humans, has spread rapidly across neighboring China since August, and has been found in seven areas in Vietnam, the state-run Vietnam News Service reported.

“We should combat the epidemic as if we are fighting against the enemy,” Phuc said in a meeting with regional officials on Monday, according to Tuesday’s report, which said Phuc had called for “drastic measures” from the “whole political system” to fight the disease.

From Feb. 1 to March 3, the fever was found in 202 households in seven cities or provinces in northern Vietnam, including in the capital, Hanoi, Vietnam’s government website reported.

Over 4,300 pigs have been infected and destroyed because of the virus, the website said, citing data from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Vietnam produced 3.82 million tonnes of pork in 2018, equivalent to 72 percent of the country’s entire meat production, up 2.2 percent from 2017, the report said.

The virus started to spread at some locations around Hanoi during last week’s summit between U.S. President Donald Trump, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, after the first confirmed cases of the disease in Vietnam were found in three farms in Thai Binh and Hung Yen provinces.

Pork accounts for three-quarters of total meat consumption in Vietnam, a country of 95 million people where most of its 30 million farm-raised pigs are consumed domestically.

Looks like I need to go cold turkey on Pork..

[:p]

Posted 14 March 2019 - 11:17 AM

Ichibawa
  • Premium member
    Ichibawa
    6th Gear
    Author Image

Why is it called Swing Flu? Not swine flu meh?

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:18 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I see no need for one lah.  This disease seems to affect the income of farmers only, not the health of human.

which is incurable in pigs but harmless to humans, 

You don’t stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 12:26 PM

Jman888
  • Jman888

it was already in China since August last year.
骑白马的不一定是王 ,可能是唐僧;带翅膀的也不一定是天使,有时候是鸟人。

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:14 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I see no need for one lah. This disease seems to affect the income of farmers only, not the health of human.

I think I read that other types of swine flu in the past has had new strains self-mutated that infects humans. The virus somehow "interact" with other human-infecting swine flu (e.g. H1N1) to become a new variant. So experts typically don't rule out this possibility in the future.

I see the rapid spreading across vast geographic area as an inability to contain the sale and distribution of infected pigs. I'm sure a lot of them continue to be sold in the market.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:23 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

It's in china, HK and now, apparently vietnam.

Our pork is indonesian or Australia mah.

And we switched to Indonesian and Australia since the outbreak in Malaysia, about 20 years ago.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:25 PM

Lala81
  • Lala81
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I think I read that other types of swine flu in the past has had new strains self-mutated that infects humans. The virus somehow "interact" with other human-infecting swine flu (e.g. H1N1) to become a new variant. So experts typically don't rule out this possibility in the future.

I see the rapid spreading across vast geographic area as an inability to contain the sale and distribution of infected pigs. I'm sure a lot of them continue to be sold in the market.

with modern farming methods, overcrowding is the norm. So more unhealthy animals. So when have pandemic, almost every pig/chicken etc surely will kana.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

Ender
  • Premium member
    Ender
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

And we switched to Indonesian and Australia since the outbreak in Malaysia, about 20 years ago.

I remember malaysia one was the nimpah virus. That was deadly. Some casualties in our abbatoir here.
Roadrunner2029 praised this
You don’t stop running because you get old, you get old because you stop running.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 02:36 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I remember malaysia one was the nimpah virus. That was deadly. Some casualties in our abbatoir here.

Yeah. People died back then.

Posted 14 March 2019 - 03:00 PM

Roadrunner2029
  • Roadrunner2029
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

Back then, Nipah was new virus which nobody knew or seen, nor thought it could spread to humans.

A Taste For Pork Helped A Deadly Virus Jump To Humans

It was a balmy Sunday evening in early 1999, and Dr. Kaw Bing Chua hadn't had lunch or dinner.

There wasn't time to eat. Chua was chasing a killer. And he thought maybe he had finally tracked it down.

He slid the slide under the microscope lens, turned on the scope's light and looked inside. "A chill went down my spine," Chua says. "The slide lit up bright green, like bright green lanterns."

Right there, in Chua's hands, was a virus the world had never seen before. And as he soon learned, it's also one of the most dangerous ones.

Now Chua had enough of the virus to kill everyone in the lab. Maybe worse.

The new virus — eventually called Nipah — is on the World Health Organization's list of viruses most likely to cause a global pandemic. It's the virus that inspired the 2011 movie Contagion. And just this past January, governments and philanthropists pledged hundreds of millions of dollars to develop a Nipah vaccine because it poses such a big threat.

Back in 1999, Nipah was spreading across Malaysia. And Chua was the only one who knew it.

But nobody believed him. Chua was still training in virology at the University of Malaya in Kuala Lumpur and didn't have clout or confidence.

"I called my department head at his home. I said, 'Prof, please come. I want to show you something,' " Chua says.

Chua's professor told him to throw away the experiments — that Chua was wasting time. But Chua didn't throw away the virus. Instead he packed it up and brought the samples to the U.S.

Living in a nightmare

An hour south of Chua's laboratory experiments, a mysterious disease was devastating a farming town called Nipah. The disease was as deadly as Ebola, but instead of attacking blood vessels, it attacked the brain.

It felt like living in a nightmare, says Thomas Wong, who was a pig farmer in Nipah at the time. "Every day we were seeing in the newspaper that people were dying," Wong says. "I lost many friends. Many friends."

The disease struck lightning fast.

Young men would be healthy one day. The next day their brains would swell up. They couldn't walk. Or talk. "They'd become comatose, and some of them became paralyzed," says Dr. C.T. Tan, a neurologist at the University of Malaya, who took care of patients from Nipah.

Some people even had what looked like locked-in syndrome — they were conscious and awake but couldn't move or speak.

There was nothing Tan could do. No cure, no treatment. About half the patients died.

"We didn't know what it was," he says. "It was terrifying."

Nearly 1 in 3 families in Nipah had already lost someone. And the window of opportunity for keeping the disease contained was quickly closing. It had already spread to several states and hopped over the border into Singapore — where 4 million people lived.

Yet the Malaysian government told people not to worry. It said the disease was coming from mosquitoes. And it had it under control because it was spraying for mosquitoes.

Both Tan and Chua thought the government was wrong. And there was one big clue: "No Muslims were getting sick," Tan says.

Mosquitoes don't care which religion you practice. "So if the disease was coming from mosquitoes, you would have Muslims, Hindus and Christians getting sick," Tan says.

But only Chinese Malaysians were catching the disease — and even more specifically, only Chinese farmers raising pigs.

"As you know, Muslims don't handle pigs," Tan says.

https://www.npr.org/...-jump-to-humans

Posted 14 March 2019 - 06:54 PM

Watwheels
  • Premium member
    Watwheels
    2Fast2Furious
    Author Image

I kept laughing becos the fellows name "Phuc" sound like fxxk. [laugh]

I think the main concern is whether the virus will mutate into something that will affect humans. We are the ones farming the pigs and eating them, It's just a matter of when. The outbreak is no joke if it happens one day. We already had one before. Hopefully no more.

Roadrunner2029 praised this
Too much to think about...

Back to Healthcare & Wellness  ·  Non-Car Related Top Reply to this topic

Quick Reply

Tags: pork virus, pig virus and 4 more...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users