What is African Swine Flu

Sdf4786k

https://ksn.news/world/6296/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietnam-swinefever/vietnam-calls-for-drastic-measures-to-fight-african-swine-fever-idUSKCN1QM0EU

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam’s prime minister has called for “drastic measures” to fight the spread of African swine fever in the Southeast Asian country, state media reported on Tuesday.

The highly contagious disease, which is incurable in pigs but harmless to humans, has spread rapidly across neighboring China since August, and has been found in seven areas in Vietnam, the state-run Vietnam News Service reported.

“We should combat the epidemic as if we are fighting against the enemy,” Phuc said in a meeting with regional officials on Monday, according to Tuesday’s report, which said Phuc had called for “drastic measures” from the “whole political system” to fight the disease.

From Feb. 1 to March 3, the fever was found in 202 households in seven cities or provinces in northern Vietnam, including in the capital, Hanoi, Vietnam’s government website reported.

Over 4,300 pigs have been infected and destroyed because of the virus, the website said, citing data from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Vietnam produced 3.82 million tonnes of pork in 2018, equivalent to 72 percent of the country’s entire meat production, up 2.2 percent from 2017, the report said.

The virus started to spread at some locations around Hanoi during last week’s summit between U.S. President Donald Trump, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, after the first confirmed cases of the disease in Vietnam were found in three farms in Thai Binh and Hung Yen provinces.

Pork accounts for three-quarters of total meat consumption in Vietnam, a country of 95 million people where most of its 30 million farm-raised pigs are consumed domestically.

Looks like I need to go cold turkey on Pork..

[:p]

Wonder why I dont see a HSA advisory on this.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

It's in china, HK and now, apparently vietnam.

Our pork is indonesian or Australia mah. 

https://ksn.news/world/6296/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-vietnam-swinefever/vietnam-calls-for-drastic-measures-to-fight-african-swine-fever-idUSKCN1QM0EU

HANOI (Reuters) - Vietnam’s prime minister has called for “drastic measures” to fight the spread of African swine fever in the Southeast Asian country, state media reported on Tuesday.

The highly contagious disease, which is incurable in pigs but harmless to humans, has spread rapidly across neighboring China since August, and has been found in seven areas in Vietnam, the state-run Vietnam News Service reported.

“We should combat the epidemic as if we are fighting against the enemy,” Phuc said in a meeting with regional officials on Monday, according to Tuesday’s report, which said Phuc had called for “drastic measures” from the “whole political system” to fight the disease.

From Feb. 1 to March 3, the fever was found in 202 households in seven cities or provinces in northern Vietnam, including in the capital, Hanoi, Vietnam’s government website reported.

Over 4,300 pigs have been infected and destroyed because of the virus, the website said, citing data from the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development.

Vietnam produced 3.82 million tonnes of pork in 2018, equivalent to 72 percent of the country’s entire meat production, up 2.2 percent from 2017, the report said.

The virus started to spread at some locations around Hanoi during last week’s summit between U.S. President Donald Trump, and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, after the first confirmed cases of the disease in Vietnam were found in three farms in Thai Binh and Hung Yen provinces.

Pork accounts for three-quarters of total meat consumption in Vietnam, a country of 95 million people where most of its 30 million farm-raised pigs are consumed domestically.

Looks like I need to go cold turkey on Pork..

[:p]

Wonder why I dont see a HSA advisory on this.

I think I read that other types of swine flu in the past has had new strains self-mutated that infects humans. The virus somehow "interact" with other human-infecting swine flu (e.g. H1N1) to become a new variant. So experts typically don't rule out this possibility in the future.

I see the rapid spreading across vast geographic area as an inability to contain the sale and distribution of infected pigs. I'm sure a lot of them continue to be sold in the market.

with modern farming methods, overcrowding is the norm. So more unhealthy animals. So when have pandemic, almost every pig/chicken etc surely will kana.

And we switched to Indonesian and Australia since the outbreak in Malaysia, about 20 years ago.

I remember malaysia one was the nimpah virus. That was deadly. Some casualties in our abbatoir here.
  • Praise 1

I kept laughing becos the fellows name "Phuc" sound like fxxk. [laugh]

I think the main concern is whether the virus will mutate into something that will affect humans. We are the ones farming the pigs and eating them, It's just a matter of when. The outbreak is no joke if it happens one day. We already had one before. Hopefully no more.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

That African Swine Flu has also appeared on the West of Poland (probably came from Bulgaria or Russia) it was noted a few Flu examples back in August last year, so European meat should all be good by now.

(edited)

Asian bird flu, African swine flu.......that time got mad cow desease how come never call European mad cow desease......typical racist people......hahahaha

Edited by Evillusion

talking of pig farm, i remember driving in new zealand and coming across this.

absolutely beautiful green field, with what look like mini tents.

tot it was a scout camp or something, until i saw pigs.

might not stop diseases, but definitely well cared for.

image.png.eb355aec5b83a03e8212712528153999.png