Pasir Gudang Methane Poisoning

Carbon82

Twincharged

Wonder how true it is.

Prospective Punggol flat buyers should note HDB’s omission of petrochemical plant in Pasir Gudang

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2018/09/04/prospective-punggol-flat-buyers-should-note-hdbs-omission-of-petrochemical-plant-in-pasir-gudang/

Citing a separate Taiwanese study published in March this year, Mr Leung posited that researchers found that “elderly and female residents living within 10 km of a petrochemical complex had higher carcinogenic exposure and cancers than those living farther away from the complex after the complex had been operating for 10 years”.

He had then placed the findings from the Taiwanese study within a local context: “10km from Pasir Gudang would include the whole of Hougang, almost all of Ang Mo Kio and parts of Serangoon”.

• Praise 9

Wonder how true it is.

Prospective Punggol flat buyers should note HDB’s omission of petrochemical plant in Pasir Gudang

https://www.theonlinecitizen.com/2018/09/04/prospective-punggol-flat-buyers-should-note-hdbs-omission-of-petrochemical-plant-in-pasir-gudang/

Citing a separate Taiwanese study published in March this year, Mr Leung posited that researchers found that “elderly and female residents living within 10 km of a petrochemical complex had higher carcinogenic exposure and cancers than those living farther away from the complex after the complex had been operating for 10 years”.

He had then placed the findings from the Taiwanese study within a local context: “10km from Pasir Gudang would include the whole of Hougang, almost all of Ang Mo Kio and parts of Serangoon”.

10km from Jurong Island would have included Clementi, Jurong East, Jurong West, etc. Its petrolchem business should be bigger than any in Pasir Gudang. Have many of the residents there been stricken with cancer already? How about the residents living in Pasir Gudang? Many got cancer?

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

Wonder how true it is.

Wah, like that got to shift house liao.

• Praise 1

Supercharged
(edited)

I would take 10km as a guide. It would be common sense to take the precaution of not staying too near a petrochemical plant. I would think those staying 9km away would be at less risk than those staying 5km away.

Edited by Tkseah
  • Praise 2

I would take 10km as a guide. It would be common sense to take the precaution of not staying too near a petrochemical plant. I would think those staying 9km away would be at less risk than those staying 5km away.

i checked......Woodlands is more than 10km away......10km limit should be Sembawang.....

Turbocharged

wah....like dat i might cancel my otp for my sentosa cove bungalow... within 10km of shell bukom AND jurong island

Turbocharged

From this episode, i would rather like to see JB southern part developed to match Singapore. Developments like Forest City so they it is also to their interest to keep environment clean since it is their prime area. Any funny thing, they do it further up.

Turbocharged

Seems that gas poisoning occurs at Pasir Gudang again. Really feel sad for the residents there.

14 more schools in Pasir Gudang ordered temporarily shut amid air pollution fears

Read more at https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/pasir-gudang-air-pollution-students-schools-shut-11653838

JOHOR BAHRU: Fourteen more schools in Pasir Gudang will shut temporarily after cases of breathing difficulties and vomiting were reported in the area on Sunday (Jun 23) morning.

The schools will close for four days starting Monday.

They are all within a 6-km radius of Sekolah Agama Taman Mawar, where 15 students suffered breathing difficulties believed to be caused by air pollution in the area on Thursday.

The closure will bring the number of schools closed to 17, including the three schools which were ordered to shut on Saturday.

Johor Health, Culture and Heritage Committee chairman Mohd Khuzzan Abu Bakar named the schools involved in the new closure and said the decision would affect more than 20,000 students.

"Also involved are public educational institutions, Johor government religious schools, all pre-schools and kindergartens,” he told reporters.

The decision to close the schools, involving 20,108 students, was a precautionary measure after breathing difficulties and vomiting was reported again in the area at 11am on Sunday, he said.

In the latest incident, firefighters rushed to the scene after receiving a call and screened students with early symptoms of shortness of breath and nausea, he added.

“Up until 3.30pm, 13 victims have been referred to the Sultan Ismail Hospital and were in stable condition and 49 were receiving treatment at a temporary clinic at the Pasir Gudang Municipal Council Indoor Stadium and Pasir Gudang Health Clinic,” said Mohd Khuzzan.

To date, Malaysia's Department of Environment and other agencies are working to identify the true cause of the incident, he added.

“The victims’ blood tests so far showed everything negative," said the official. "All normal, no indication of toxic effects."

Most of the affected students were on the third and fourth floors of their school buildings, including the cases on Thursday, he added.

• Praise 5

Turbocharged

Looks like Punggol is not an ideal place to stay. It is just directly opposite of Pasir Gudang. Very near.

• Praise 1

Looks like Punggol is not an ideal place to stay. It is just directly opposite of Pasir Gudang. Very near.

Which part?

Supersonic

No wonder sentosa prices keep falling...

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1