Cost of our Expanding Coastline that Never Cross Our Minds

Heartlander

In my opinion, if we could live without sand, then problem solved. If we need then what is the solution regardless of where we purchase from. Maybe deserts?

Impact on countries selling them, they will continue till they don't need the cash.

↡ Advertisement

Willing buyer = Willing seller ........ same goes even for sharks fin and whale meat and other exotic stuff , if the buying stops the selling stops .... same for puppy mills too and drugs too , yes we cut off all our rolling hills in the 60’s for East Coast land reclamation and Bedok/ Changi became flat lands

Indonesia did seize some of the sand barges in around 2008 ..... lots of alibaba thingy going on like Permit given for 1 barge load but take out 10 bargeloads instead , of course our govt act blur

I like to think our hunger for expansion may required rethink.

But what is for the greater good of the nation may eventually cause a zero sum game.

• Praise 1

Supercharged

Since we're on this topic, it reminds me of Nishinoshima island in Japan, and how some land mass just seems to pop up out of nowhere overnight. People there don't have to lift a finger to increase land mass. Sometimes you get what you wished for, just not the way you expected it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3332607/Volcanic-island-appeared-two-years-ago-TWELVE-times-bigger.html

Do you really think that PAP doesn't know where they get their raw material from?

Don't be so gullible please.

Actually my intention is only to create awareness. I not paid millions to solve this kind of problem. But at least I think our government should check where it gets its sand from, and verify that it caused minimal impact to the environment or livelihood of people there. But there will always be people who touts willing seller willing buyer so to each his own lah. 

So if you ever go Cambodia and take a fancy to visit those seaside villages for cheap seafood or sightseeing or whatever, be careful not to tell them you are from Singapore. Do not assume that they will be grateful to you just because you are spending money there.

The world is never fair and people play under the table all the time, that's actually where most Singaporeans lose out.

As long as it's required and we never rob others of their money or rights, I think it's still reasonable.

How many times you try to be good and help but end up being the gossip of town?

Supersonic

There are sand all over the world.

Most of them in vast desert that they would sell to you if they can.

Sahara, Gobi and plenty of desert in Australia and elsewhere.

In the wrong place, sand is useless,

In the right place, it can bring in money.

Let's not be too pretentious.

If you need to buy, someone willing to sell, that's a deal.