Watch Part V

Carbon82

(edited)

When I first see this Patek 5212a from Baselworld 2019 release, I thought the dial looks very fussy. However, when I realise that all the numbers and letters are hardwritten (whimsical), watch is on a steel case (steel Patek!) and calfskin strap (casual look), it starts to grow on me. The only bummer is that this watch now has a rather long waiting list.... [smallcry]

Will wait patiently, as usual..

5212A_001_1.jpg

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

The brand Atelier Wen is set up by 2 French students to celebrate the Chinese watchmaking industry. Definitely cannot compare with big brands such as Rolex. But just sharing the brand here. 

http://atelierwen.com/

Not promoting their brand here, but just want to know what the watch gurus here think. 

Happy to hear any thoughts on the brand and watch 

I seem to remember them as Chinese Chinese, not french, but so far they seem to have a decent enough reputation. They make nice dress watches.

• Praise 1

I seem to remember them as Chinese Chinese, not french, but so far they seem to have a decent enough reputation. They make nice dress watches.

Hi bro 7hm, 

Thank you for your feedback. Seems like you're the only one that might have heard of them. Really appreciate your honest sharing. 

Yes, the dress watch is designed inhouse in China, so the costs of production is significantly lower as compared to other brands. The french style and design comes in because of the background of the Founders. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atelier-wen-watches-porcelain-dials-chinese-soul#/

more information about their craftsmanship here 

Cheers

When I first see this Patek 5212a from Baselworld 2019 release, I thought the dial looks very fussy. However, when I realise that all the numbers and letters are hardwritten (whimsical), watch is on a steel case (steel Patek!) and calfskin strap (casual look), it starts to grow on me. The only bummer is that this watch now has a rather long waiting list.... [smallcry]

Will wait patiently, as usual..

5212A_001_1.jpg

Reminds me of this

wa-for-0016.jpg?fitin=330:330

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Hi bro 7hm, 

Thank you for your feedback. Seems like you're the only one that might have heard of them. Really appreciate your honest sharing. 

Yes, the dress watch is designed inhouse in China, so the costs of production is significantly lower as compared to other brands. The french style and design comes in because of the background of the Founders. 

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/atelier-wen-watches-porcelain-dials-chinese-soul#/

more information about their craftsmanship here 

Cheers

I'm into micros, especially the unique and affordable ones. Brands like Xeric have my attention. The truth is I'm planning to try doing one myself.

I'm into micros, especially the unique and affordable ones. Brands like Xeric have my attention. The truth is I'm planning to try doing one myself.

That's very cool to try doing one! 

Since you're into micros, think you might heard about Travailler (https://www.travaillertimepieces.com/)

Been to their watch making lab here in Singapore and it's really cool to see how they piece everything together 

• Praise 2

That's very cool to try doing one!

Since you're into micros, think you might heard about Travailler (https://www.travaillertimepieces.com/)

Been to their watch making lab here in Singapore and it's really cool to see how they piece everything together

Interesting what the young have in their strides, BTW nowadays I don’t even bother to even wear a watch , have not worn one in months except on weekends with friends but this tourbillon thing has piqued my mind of late and how this guys broke into the so called exclusivity a few brands kept a sort of firewall

https://erareview.techtimes.news/?utm_campaign=Tech_Times_Review&utm_medium=CPC&utm_source=Quora&utm_content=Worldwide_Tim_H_MF_18_65_ERA_Tech_Times_Review_WhyCompany-IMG-Review_ERA_Non-Buyers_All_All_CPC_Quora_Custom_Launch

Don’t know if I’ve put in the correct link.... saw it off Quora.com

post-157298-0-39522800-1554482273_thumb.jpeg

• Praise 3

Turbocharged

Interesting what the young have in their strides, BTW nowadays I don’t even bother to even wear a watch , have not worn one in months except on weekends with friends but this tourbillon thing has piqued my mind of late and how this guys broke into the so called exclusivity a few brands kept a sort of firewall

https://erareview.techtimes.news/?utm_campaign=Tech_Times_Review&utm_medium=CPC&utm_source=Quora&utm_content=Worldwide_Tim_H_MF_18_65_ERA_Tech_Times_Review_WhyCompany-IMG-Review_ERA_Non-Buyers_All_All_CPC_Quora_Custom_Launch

Don’t know if I’ve put in the correct link.... saw it off Quora.com

I've seen this one, I considered getting one for what the watch is, but they are more a marketing success than anything.

For one thing, their video talks a lot up about how the "elite watchmakers" are controlled by a "cartel", and they do this voiceover whilst showing footage licensed from the Swiss watchmaking promotion institutes, depicting precision machinery cutting materials and Swiss watchmakers assembling watches, calling tourbillons the supercars of the horological world.

Now, the majority of people would thus assume, that by breaking through the cartel to establish relationships with the elite watchmakers, they are talking about these very Swiss watchmakers they are showing.

No, they are selling a watch, produced for probably less than $300, by Hangzhou, from China, under these contexts. It's by no means a shoddily crafted watch, and a tourbillon is a tourbillon - it's a genuine tourbillon. However, they repeatedly resisted any requests to publicly announce and clarify the origins of their watch, or to even admit that the movement is Chinese.

They'd only do it through private messaging.

Calling it a "millionaire watch" is just marketing nonsense. They did not break into the Swiss cartel. What they did is went to Chinese manufacturers that readily sell tourbillon movements. Even better; other crowdfunding campaigns popped soon after selling tourbillon watches for less than $600, much less than the $999 the ERA Prometheus was asking for.

True, the Swiss industry relies greatly upon the Far Eastern suppliers, but the Prometheus is not what they want you to think it is.

• Praise 3

I've seen this one, I considered getting one for what the watch is, but they are more a marketing success than anything.

For one thing, their video talks a lot up about how the "elite watchmakers" are controlled by a "cartel", and they do this voiceover whilst showing footage licensed from the Swiss watchmaking promotion institutes, depicting precision machinery cutting materials and Swiss watchmakers assembling watches, calling tourbillons the supercars of the horological world.

Now, the majority of people would thus assume, that by breaking through the cartel to establish relationships with the elite watchmakers, they are talking about these very Swiss watchmakers they are showing.

No, they are selling a watch, produced for probably less than $300, by Hangzhou, from China, under these contexts. It's by no means a shoddily crafted watch, and a tourbillon is a tourbillon - it's a genuine tourbillon. However, they repeatedly resisted any requests to publicly announce and clarify the origins of their watch, or to even admit that the movement is Chinese.

They'd only do it through private messaging.

Calling it a "millionaire watch" is just marketing nonsense. They did not break into the Swiss cartel. What they did is went to Chinese manufacturers that readily sell tourbillon movements. Even better; other crowdfunding campaigns popped soon after selling tourbillon watches for less than $600, much less than the $999 the ERA Prometheus was asking for.

True, the Swiss industry relies greatly upon the Far Eastern suppliers, but the Prometheus is not what they want you to think it is.

Wow you really explained very clearly and went deep in to clear the air , probably then Seagull might still be real original supplier of the tourbillon and by selling to marketing firm ERA which will in turn boost the sales of thier own mechanisms , nowadays people really know how to ‘goreng’ an a product
  • Praise 2

Turbocharged
(edited)

Wow you really explained very clearly and went deep in to clear the air , probably then Seagull might still be real original supplier of the tourbillon and by selling to marketing firm ERA which will in turn boost the sales of thier own mechanisms , nowadays people really know how to ‘goreng’ an a product

The movement in the Prometheus is not by Seagull, but by Hangzhou Watch Company. It appears to be part of their 3000 series, but it's not specifically shown on the Hangzhou website.

GfQIuL2.png

I think most people agreed that ERA does have a unique variant from Hangzhou, but this movement in this image (3360) here is basically the Prometheus' but with gold color.

In fact, I just checked the Kickstarter page for the Prometheus and it seems Michael Galarza finally publicly commented 6 months ago that the Prometheus has the "3360A" by Hangzhou. They did customize it with some decoration and hiding their ERA logo in the 24 hour dial, but otherwise they've not broken into any Swiss cartels or Swiss watchmakers.

Galarza does insist he is dealing "directly with the watchmakers", which I suppose isn't wrong if you're working directly with Hangzhou.

If you read their Kickstarter campaign, it starts with quotations from major watch blogs about how tourbillons are supreme and expensive, and leads to a screenshot of a post regarding how a $16k tourbillon is considered cheap.

And they also go on to deride other watches for the whole "cutting out the middleman" fluff that all these watches do and that they are:

What you’re getting isn’t “affordable luxury”, you’re paying $270 for a fabricated story and $19 for a cheap watch.

Because in reality: a basic minimal watch with a turnstile Miyota movement can NEVER be a luxury watch.It's putting lipstick on a pig.

And here's a picture they use in their campaign marketing:

UDZzJxt.jpg

I mean, really, the watch is pretty impressive, but the transparency... wasn't.

Edited by 7hm
  • Praise 2

(edited)

I have a stroke of luck yesterday when my AD called me up for a discontinued ladies Nautilus mother-of-pearl. We believe this is the last piece available worldwide. Wife is very pleased naturally. :)

post-100773-0-93215100-1554602792_thumb.jpg

Edited by Weez911
  • Praise 13

Turbocharged

Aaaand a watch I've been searching for all year... a specimen came up and looked pretty good, but I was asking for more images...

Then it got sold in an in-person appointment. @#$%!

The limited edition number was auspicious too

Where will forget you one? I will neg for a buy 1 free 2 deal. Then we and @Freeder can go hand in hand together. After that go Papaya land and chill out.

Bro ..... U got buy 1 get 1 free scheme dun forget me hor

↡ Advertisement