2014 Toyota Mark X

villan

Younger car doesn't mean that the condition is better. Its more dependent on how the previous owner take care of its ride also some luck needed on the manufacturing side. Alternatively the Lexus IS250 (previous gen) which is the same model as the Mark X albeit smaller cabin space (I stand corrected) is more of a looker and has better build quality. If I don't need the space I would have gotten that actually. The only issue with the car is sticky dash and door handles which is similar to the BMW F series (much newer than the IS).

agree younger car does not always equate to better condition. on the other hand, for older and high mileage cars, it is even harder to tell unless you know the owner or there's full records of all parts changed...

what do you think of this ride?

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=794273&DL=1032

Jan 2016

mileage 114k (heavy user)

depre 11.5 (list price)

↡ Advertisement

Car looks good and the seats look new. A premium Toyota should not go wrong... unless you really suay.. Just quoting my example....  I bought a low mileage car and the radiator leaks after a few weeks. My mech said low mileage car used in high mileage driving style will usually have issues as the internals are not used to such kind of abuse. After changing some parts it is all good again. 

Car looks good and the seats look new. A premium Toyota should not go wrong... unless you really suay.. Just quoting my example....  I bought a low mileage car and the radiator leaks after a few weeks. My mech said low mileage car used in high mileage driving style will usually have issues as the internals are not used to such kind of abuse. After changing some parts it is all good again. 

i see...any comments on the price? anything fishy? engine bay looks very clean...

Price looks fabulous but you need to go down and really have a look at the car and determine if its a steal or its stolen. Cars from dealers are will definitely be groomed to look good. It will be the buyer's job to check what sort of dirt will be underneath the carpet. 

Price looks fabulous but you need to go down and really have a look at the car and determine if its a steal or its stolen. Cars from dealers are will definitely be groomed to look good. It will be the buyer's job to check what sort of dirt will be underneath the carpet. 

right...at 114k, i wonder how much $ is required to set aside in the next 3-5 years to change wear and tear...

how's the comparsion between IS200T, IS250, IS300H? exterior wise, they all look similar...how about reliability,issues,performance...

seems like GS250 depre is close to IS200T....does it make sense to go for the GS250?

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=799330&DL=3038

Hi TS, I see that you have been car shopping for 8 months already, and you seemed keen on large family saloons, like the Lexus ES, Superb, A4, Stinger, Mazda6 etc. You have solicited much feedback and comments, and I hope that forummers here can help you with your decision making.

Maybe you can share with us what you drive at the moment, and what is important to you in your next set of wheels. It should help narrow down your ideal car.

Have you owned or driven a V6 GR-engined Toyota/Lexus before? If you haven't, then I suggest you don't buy a GS250/350/450h, or an IS250, or a Mark X or a Crown.

Why? Because its such a great engine - silky smooth, rev-happy, powerful, economical, lovely engine note, reliable. After experiencing one, all other 4-pot engines in the future will pale in comparison, and you will miss it badly in your future cars! [laugh]

Twincharged

Hi TS, I see that you have been car shopping for 8 months already, and you seemed keen on large family saloons, like the Lexus ES, Superb, A4, Stinger, Mazda6 etc. You have solicited much feedback and comments, and I hope that forummers here can help you with your decision making.

Maybe you can share with us what you drive at the moment, and what is important to you in your next set of wheels. It should help narrow down your ideal car.

Have you owned or driven a V6 GR-engined Toyota/Lexus before? If you haven't, then I suggest you don't buy a GS250/350/450h, or an IS250, or a Mark X or a Crown.

Why? Because its such a great engine - silky smooth, rev-happy, powerful, economical, lovely engine note, reliable. After experiencing one, all other 4-pot engines in the future will pale in comparison, and you will miss it badly in your future cars! [laugh]

Agree that the v6 is super smooth and quiet. Loved my markx. But gearbox was slow. Haha. And somehow the torque wasn’t there.

Yes, have been looking around for a while...currently driving 2014 316i. 

important factors would be:

1) comfort

2) NVH

3) decent power and smooth

4) Reliability and affordable maintenance

Yes, have been looking around for a while...currently driving 2014 316i.

important factors would be:

1) comfort

2) NVH

I notice you didn't mention "space" as an important attribute. Which factor does the 316i fall short of your expectations? So that we can recommend a car that is better than the 316i in those aspects? Edited by Toeknee_33

Agree that the v6 is super smooth and quiet. Loved my markx. But gearbox was slow. Haha. And somehow the torque wasn’t there.

Small N/A V6 always lack of Torque.

I notice you didn't mention "space" as an important attribute. Which factor does the 316i fall short of your expectations? So that we can recommend a car that is better than the 316i in those aspects?

yes, space is not exactly an important attribute. im 1.8m and can fit into 3 series nicely, so for interior anything bigger/more spacious is a bonus.

Boot space is not important to me.

I think in general, 316i is not known for the below.....haha

1) comfort

2) NVH

yes, space is not exactly an important attribute. im 1.8m and can fit into 3 series nicely, so for interior anything bigger/more spacious is a bonus.

Boot space is not important to me.

I think in general, 316i is not known for the below.....haha

1) comfort

2) NVH

If you are buying used, my pick would be a 2015 GS250 at $15k pa, or better still, the GS350 or GS450h if you are not adverse to the higher running costs.

It would meet all your criteria very well, and yet still has a nice badge. Your relatives and pals will see that car as an upgrade. I am sure you would be quite happy with the attributes of the car.

Next choice would be the 4-pot ES250 or ES300h at $14k pa, which is more spacious than the GS but not as sporty and refined. Then it would be the IS250, and IS200t/IS300h.

The Mark X is as good as the GS to drive (same drivetrain), but is compromised by its more downmarket interior, and lacks the nice toys that we are all used to.

Hope it helps! Happy car hunting!

If you are buying used, my pick would be a 2015 GS250 at $15k pa, or better still, the GS350 or GS450h if you are not adverse to the higher running costs.

It would meet all your criteria very well, and yet still has a nice badge. Your relatives and pals will see that car as an upgrade. I am sure you would be quite happy with the attributes of the car.

Next choice would be the 4-pot ES250 or ES300h at $14k pa, which is more spacious than the GS but not as sporty and refined. Then it would be the IS250, and IS200t/IS300h.

The Mark X is as good as the GS to drive (same drivetrain), but is compromised by its more downmarket interior, and lacks the nice toys that we are all used to.

With these kind of dep figures, why don't u guys go for new cars? 

I can't imagine a $15k/yr dep can be considered a great deal for a used car

The whole idea of buying used is to keep the running cost as low as possible. If you can stomach such steep dep figures, it means you have the means to buy brand new cars. And new cars have lower dep rate than your examples. Used cars will always have that uncertainty factor..

Eg, how do u know that GS450h odometer has not been tempered with? What assurance you have that the GS wasn't damaged in a flash/car park flood? And can you confirm it wasn't a hastily repaired crashed car? U sure the prev owner didn't drive it like he stole it? 

• Praise 1

With these kind of dep figures, why don't u guys go for new cars?

I can't imagine a $15k/yr dep can be considered a great deal for a used car

The whole idea of buying used is to keep the running cost as low as possible. If you can stomach such steep dep figures, it means you have the means to buy brand new cars. And new cars have lower dep rate than your examples. Used cars will always have that uncertainty factor..

Eg, how do u know that GS450h odometer has not been tempered with? What assurance you have that the GS wasn't damaged in a flash/car park flood? And can you confirm it wasn't a hastily repaired crashed car? U sure the prev owner didn't drive it like he stole it?

You haven't thought hard enough.

Can you get an equivalent new car at $15k depre? The GS350 was last sold at more than $300k list price with a $20+k depre. Please don't suggest that a K5 or a Sonata is an equivalent car.

What is the selling price of a new car with a $15k depre and what is the downpayment?

Is the depreciation line straight throughout its 10 years lifespan?

I can agree that buying a used car is a risk, but that can be mitigated with a keen sense, and doing enough research, and not buying the first car you see. Furthermore, a 2015 Lexus still has a little warranty left.

If you say like that, nobody will buy used cars, car dealers can all close shop and used cars will be a dime a dozen.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 2

You haven't thought hard enough.

Can you get an equivalent car at $15k depre? The GS350 was last sold at more than $300k list price with a $20+k depre.

What is the selling price of a car with a $15k depre and what is the downpayment?

Is the depreciation line straight throughout its 10 years lifespan?

I can agree that buying a used car is a risk, but that can be mitigated with a keen sense, and doing enough research, and not buying the first car you see. Furthermore, a 2015 Lexus still has a little warranty left.

If you say like that, nobody will buy used cars, car dealers can all close shop and used cars will be a dime a dozen.

Well there is no reason to spend big bucks on a glorified toyota that shared so many parts with its lesser cousins right?

The steep dep fig is there becos you have paid an extremely inflated price just to get the lexus. If you can settle for a b n b new car, the dep fig surely can be below $10k pa.

By right low volume cars should dep like crazy becos of their insane profit margins. That fat margin disappears when we talk about used cars.

And no one really cares what the used car dealers think la.

Well there is no reason to spend big bucks on a glorified toyota that shared so many parts with its lesser cousins right?

The steep dep fig is there becos you have paid an extremely inflated price just to get the lexus. If you can settle for a b n b new car, the dep fig surely can be below $10k pa.

By right low volume cars should dep like crazy becos of their insane profit margins. That fat margin disappears when we talk about used cars.

And no one really cares what the used car dealers think la.

Horses for courses lah Bro, you might be happy with a BnB car at $10k depre but others may not. By your reasoning then all of us should be driving Attrage, no?

Glorified Toyota? Don't make sweeping statements like these. Many cars of today also share platform and parts but that don't make them less worthy. I can think of worse examples: Urus vs Touarag, Continental vs Panamera, Ghost vs 7-series. Buyers of the more expensive of the twins are irrational rich idiots?

Cars not only open our wallets but also move our hearts. Different cars move people in different ways and some are willing to pay more to enjoy something. Nothing wrong with that. It would be sad if everyone thinks the same and thinks like you.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 1

thanks bro..all the 3 used GS250 got snapped up! wow...the wait begins....

the ES250/300h looks too much like the old camry.....no go for me.

its either GS or IS for me 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1